Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Walmart latest Auto repair rip-off servicer?

Let me start this with a general RANT!

You would think, with the internet, consumer watch groups, undercover journalism and word of mouth, that auto repair/service facilities that try and rip off consumers for unneeded repairs would have gone the way of the dinosaur! Not so. It is alive, and is full health. ESPECIALLY if the driver is a woman!

A few examples: Almost every time (realistically, at least 85%) that my wife or daughter takes their vehicle in for an oil change, they are told that the serpentine belt is severely cracked, and needs replacement. My wife and daughter both know the standard answer is "My husband/father does the car repairs, I'll mention it to him." Anyone that has examined a few belts knows that the grooved side of the belts have small notches formed into the ridges that allow the grooved sides to bend "backwards" around pulleys (allows needed stretching). These notches are the "cracks" that my wife and daughter are being shown!!!!!! My daughter and wife have both been told their belts were about to fail, with my ladies knowing I had changed the accused belts less than a week before!!!!!

The second biggie is air filters. Being in the know, ALL my vehicles are equipped with K & N air filters. This brand of performance filters is not replaced, It is cleaned and reconditioned (about once a year in the non-dusty conditions we live in). Never-the-less, they are often told the filter needs replacing. My wife even had an Express Oil place in Las Vegas show her a bogus filter (a cheap paper filter), and tell her it was clogged, and needed replacement! And the K & N in place was 2 months old!

Now, Walmart appears to be leading the pack! Prior to Jeremy's wedding in October, my daughter took her Pathfinder in to her local Walmart to get a tire re-balanced. She even knew which tire, because I had told her which it was. She was told that the tires were all "dry-rotted" and required replacement, and that Walmart could not balance the tires due to the dangerous condition of dry-rot. Of course, she called her chief mechanic. She immediately brought the Pathfinder to me. One tire was better than 75% tread, two tires had better than 50% tread remaining, one was within 5000 miles of what I would replace (since replaced). The most worn tire indeed had tiny cracks on it, but NOT on the sidewall, where dry-rot shows up. The cracks were on the very outside edge of the treads, where that tire has been run against a curb a time or two. Not "dry-rot", simply rubber stress on the outside edge of the tread due to the curbs! I took the Pathfinder into my local Walmart, said nothing except that there was a tire out of balance, on the front. They examined the tires, fixed a slow leak, balanced the two front tires, and rotated them front to back. No mention of dry-rot or any other problem. But of course, I was driving it!

My wife is in Ft. Lauderdale, finishing up a contract. She has a tire with a slow leak, and it is also out of balance (probably threw a weight off with the deflating and re-inflating that has been going on.) She is coming home in a week or so, and also needed the oil changed. So, she went to the Walmart in Margate this afternoon. Guess what? Her tires are dry-rotted, and they can't work on them! They can replace them, however! Now, I was down in Ft. Lauderdale a little over a month ago for more than a week. I knew then the tires would need replacing shortly (because it's a truck, trucks are "light on their feet", so to speak, and need decent treads to be stable. Knowing this, I paid particular attention to the tires a month ago. No dry-rot then, so I know they haven't fallen to pieces in the last 4 weeks!

Needless to say, the truck is now at a tire store to get the leak fixed, and re-balanced. They were not told what Walmart said. And amazingly, the tire store did not find any issue with the tires, except they told her they should be replaced in the next 5000 miles or so (which is correct assessment).

So, I guess the lesson here is "Don't let your ladies take their vehicles to Walmart for repairs. Also, make sure that they know, anytime a semi-repair facility (what I term "quickoil-change" joints) tells them about an un-anticipated repair need, that they find someone trustworthy to verify the repair need before letting Walmart or a quick-oil-change sell them a bill of goods!!!

Rant over.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Walmart latest Auto repair rip-off servicer?

I hear you brother. I have dealt with the same situation with another auto repair business. Part of the problem is, they hire kids that dont have a clue what they are doing or looking at. The guy under the hood is maybe going to school to be a mechanic or has been shown how to pull a drain plug. They just look for what they are told to look at. Thats why I do all the work myself (that I can) or take it to a respected mechanic.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I don't understand why they think people fall for this stuff. But maybe a lot of people do.

I always laugh when they tell me the drain plug is stripped, and want to charge me for a new one.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Wow. The people at who work in the automotive section at my Wal-Mart barely know how to change the oil, much less try and rip someone off. That sucks, brother.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

That's True Everywhere, Brother! I Remember Taking My Toyota In For Routine Service At The Toyota Dealership & The Service Manager Coming Out & Telling Me My Timing Belt Is About To Break & Needs Replacing. I Told Him, "That's Weird, I Just Had It Replaced Last Week At Another Shop!" The Advisor Crawfished Out Of That One Quickly!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Personally, I am not sure why anyone goes to WalMart for anything. I loathe that store, not a single smiling person to be found. There isn't a shred of help to find in the place and their prices aren't comparable to what can be found elsewhere for less money.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

It's not just Walmart it's everywhere. Before I met my wife she would go in for an oil change (which she did every 3000 miles religiously) and leave there spending at least $100 in upsales.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
It's not just Walmart it's everywhere. Before I met my wife she would go in for an oil change (which she did every 3000 miles religiously) and leave there spending at least $100 in upsales.
Totally agreed. Dealerships for me have been the worst. I take my car to a local spot that has a bunch of young guys in my age range who are the mechanics. When I go in they give it to me straight and simple. When my wife goes in ( low cut shirt on of course ) she always gets employee discounts, and freebies. So, needless to say she takes both of our cars in.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Yes Sir you are absolutely correct except you did not mention the biggest oil change scam - "your transmission fluid needs changing............" and then you drive out with a $200+ oil change and a transmission likely to fail pre-maturely. Pisses me off to no end when they do that crap and actually I started using Walmart for oil changes at one time because they do not do transmission fluid so I did not have to cuss them out everytime like the oil change shops. But Walmart got otherwise too difficult to deal with so now found a new place and told them to put in the computer under my account - this guy is an ass and don't mention transmission fluid or other upsells to him- guy said they would note it and have not yet had a problem. All Crooks - and yes the dealers too!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

This is why I do it myself. Not worth the headache of dealing with a guy with two teeth.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Xoner8
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Chad
Trading: (0)
VR
Xoner8 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone. As an ASE certified tech and owner of several general repair shops, I am as well aware of anyone of the stress of useless upselling. It gives my entire indutry a bad name. Sometimes, that transmission service is necessary to prevent future costly repairs and the honest shops are just looking out for your best interest. But, and I don't mean any offence, if you take your $40,000 car to a glorified grocery store for service, the outcome shouldn't be a surprise. Spend the extra few dollars for a reputable indapendent shop to do your routine maintenance, that is where you will find the greatest value and care...
Xoner8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoner8 View Post
Hello everyone. As an ASE certified tech and owner of several general repair shops, I am as well aware of anyone of the stress of useless upselling. It gives my entire indutry a bad name. Sometimes, that transmission service is necessary to prevent future costly repairs and the honest shops are just looking out for your best interest. But, and I don't mean any offence, if you take your $40,000 car to a glorified grocery store for service, the outcome shouldn't be a surprise. Spend the extra few dollars for a reputable indapendent shop to do your routine maintenance, that is where you will find the greatest value and care...
100%
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:32 AM   #13
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

I wonder if cowboys ever got that...

Guy takes his horse to the farrier...

Farrier says... "your horses shoes are worn."

Cowboy says... "That's funny... I just had them rotated and balanced a week ago."

Farrier says... "Well, I recommend having them changed before every cattle drive."

Cowboy says... "Cattle drive?! I'm not that kind of cowboy. High Ho Silver AWAY!"

Then he rides off into the sunset.

*Queue Credits*
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #14
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

I used to have to make trips down to Port Charlotte and would have a couple of hours to waste. One day I pulled into walmart and said might as well get an oil change while I am wasting time. About 20 minutes later they page me overhead, I go to the auto area and they tell me I have no oil in my car! No oil!!!! And they want me to sign some form informing me i should change gaskets. I'm like just change the oil. Couple of months later same thing. I have never been to walmart again for auto repair!!!!
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #15
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Trading: (0)
Sled Dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Yes Sir you are absolutely correct except you did not mention the biggest oil change scam - "your transmission fluid needs changing............" and then you drive out with a $200+ oil change and a transmission likely to fail pre-maturely. Pisses me off to no end when they do that crap and actually I started using Walmart for oil changes at one time because they do not do transmission fluid so I did not have to cuss them out everytime like the oil change shops. But Walmart got otherwise too difficult to deal with so now found a new place and told them to put in the computer under my account - this guy is an ass and don't mention transmission fluid or other upsells to him- guy said they would note it and have not yet had a problem. All Crooks - and yes the dealers too!
I went in for an oil change once, they tried to hit me up for a tranny fluid change, I said, you do realize my car is a stick right...... He just looked at me and said sorry for the mix up
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #16
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Dog View Post
I went in for an oil change once, they tried to hit me up for a tranny fluid change, I said, you do realize my car is a stick right...... He just looked at me and said sorry for the mix up
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #17
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

it doesn't happen only to women.

I had purchased tires with free lifetime rotation and balancing at the local Tire Barn.

Made my first appointment to have tires rotated and balanced, told them I only had 30 minutes, would that be OK? "Not a problem."

Got there, reminded them of my time constraint, and was told not to worry. 25 minutes later the tech working on my vehicle comes out and proceeds to say, "Your air filter is clogged, your wipers need replacing, and..." At which point I interupt him, "Can you explain to me why the hood of my car is open? Since when do you need to open the hood to rotate and balance tires?"

He tries to explain that this is a courtesy service that they do for customers.

I asked, "are my tires done?"

"No"

"Pull my car out and bring it around front."

He said, "I'll get your bill for the work that was done."

That's when I asked to speak to a manager. I didn't pay any bill, didn't get my tires rotated and balanced that day, left the manager a bit disappointed. Went to my normal mechanic, told him about the situation, asked him for a similar deal on new tires (with rotation & balancing for the life of the tires) to which he agreed. So, I had him give me new tires, throw the others in the trunk, and two days later went back to Tire Barn.

You know what, I got a total refund for the tires, even with almost 5k on them. Seems it is wise to keep the local clergy content. Seems he was worried that I might preach about fraud and stealing from the pulpit, and name names of places where such things happen - even to clergy. Wonder where he got such an idea from.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #18
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Dog View Post
I think I have one that compares.
I went for two front tires, they told me I needed an alignment, which I knew I didn't.
Asked how much, they told me I needed the more expensive "4 wheel" alignment.
I asked why?
They said it was best to do that way.
I advised them I had a Volvo 740 with rear wheel drive and no adjustment in the rear. I was curious as to how they would be able to pull that off?
They told me it was the only way to do an alignment.
I asked if to do the front, standard, two wheel alignment didn't entail setting up center line off rear axle in order to accomplish hence it in fact included the rear in the process?
I then asked what made him so sure I needed an alignment with no specs to show me how it was off?
I told them I was quite impressed at their ability to try to sell me a job that was impossible to perform.

Needless to say, I walked away, with no purchase at all and gave about 10 folks waiting there an education.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #19
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Some possible insight about the chain oil change shops.

At 100,000 miles I was living in Wyoming and was told to have my transmission fluid changed. Hadn't done it previously so I thought why not? Seems like after 100,000 miles that should probably be done (may or may not be true I have no idea).

I get back to Vermont and take my truck in to have the oil changed. They list off a number of things I need done which included the transmission fluid change. I mentioned that I just had my transmission fluid changed before the trek across the country and the manager tells me "oh I just have this list here for things to suggest you should have done based on your cars mileage, I'll make a note that you had that done so that we won't ask you again". I never went back, don't need robots that are incapable of making decisions based on what my vehicle actually needs anywhere near my truck.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #20
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

You guys are brave for bringing your vehicles to Walmart for any kind of service. I would trust them with my truck just as much as I would trust the local crackhead with it. I have heard too many horror stories from places like Walmart and Jiffy Lube to ever bring my cars there. Most of those places hire guys at the cheapest wage and their work usually reflects what they are being paid. I have heard of too many people leaving with their car to find out they never put oil back in the car. Just recently happened to my brother in-law. (No BS)
I usually do my own oil changes but luckily with both the wife and I, our trucks came with free oil changes for two years so that's been kind of nice. I also got real friendly with the head service writer at the dealer so I get spared the up sell BS. Every once in a while when the guy I usually deal with is busy and I get another writer and he tries that BS, I usually just reply with "Hey, do me a favor and ask Bobby to come over here to explain why I need this." That usually stops them dead in their tracks or they do get him and he usually just takes over for me as he knows I don't like to tolerate the BS. It's also because of this that I went back and bought a second vehicle from that dealership. I have been turned off by many dealers because their service depts suck.
When I had a Nissan I once brought my truck in for work. Keep in mind I didn't smoke in my truck but when I came to pick my truck up from having warranty work done, there were cigarette ashes all over my passenger seat. Granted they were leather so it cleaned up easy and no burn holes but still. Needless to say I tore the service manager a new @sshole and even asked to speak with the mechanic who worked on my vehicle and even tore him a new @ss. The best part is they had the nerve to call me a few months later saying my truck was due for service. After that phone conversation they never called me again. It's tough to find a good mechanic these days but when you do it's best to stay on his good side as they seem far and few lately.