Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone have experience with these lighters? Cheap Ronson

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Instructions for that process please, I got a drawer full of them and will give it a try on one.
You can also look at the comments of this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPk-PhdZTIM
Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
The Ronson fuel is in the hardware department and on the plumbing aisle sometimes.
DO NOT USE RONSON BUTANE in any lighter! It's cheap for a reason. It's the dirtiest fuel on the market and will kill your lighter before its time. Someone mentioned the flame size. Use good fuel like Lava or Vector and you will notice the flame will be bigger, fuller and will burn more efficiently without any adjustment.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
You can also look at the comments of this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPk-PhdZTIM
Thanks for the link. Answer is in the comments and worked well. Been a Ronson user for 10 years or so and never heard of this trick, learn something new every day!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #24
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Used to like Ronson. Have gotten away from them, never know how much gas is left and they've left me stranded a couple of times. For a cheaper price I've ordered half a dozen 1300C single flames from dealextreme.com on a couple occasions. Usually around $3 with no tax nor shipping charges. They hold a ton of fluid and you can see it, plus the flame is a true flame that blasts. BTW, I've been running Ronson fluid in these for years (dozen cans or more) and have never had ANY issues (sorry, Greg).

http://dx.com/p/honest-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-11868

Old 06-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
DO NOT USE RONSON BUTANE in any lighter! It's cheap for a reason. It's the dirtiest fuel on the market and will kill your lighter before its time. Someone mentioned the flame size. Use good fuel like Lava or Vector and you will notice the flame will be bigger, fuller and will burn more efficiently without any adjustment.
I Would never use or recommend using Ronson Fuel in a premium lighter but it works ok in the Ronson Jet Lites and seems pretty irrational to stop in Walmart to purchase a $3.57 lighter which comes with Ronson fuel in it(small amount usually enough for about 2 cigars) then travel down to the nearest B & M to pay $10 - 12 or more for a can of premium fuel for when the Ronson fuel runs out.

Vector is great fuel filtered 5 times and comes in a large can for best value. You can buy it online at a significant savings and sometimes with free shipping when bundled with other items.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

To each his own but I have had, literally, hundreds of lighters (cheap and expensive) come to me that wouldn't work anymore and the only thing I found wrong with them is that the user was using Ronson butane. And the Jet Lite performs noticeably better with other fuels.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
To each his own but I have had, literally, hundreds of lighters (cheap and expensive) come to me that wouldn't work anymore and the only thing I found wrong with them is that the user was using Ronson butane. And the Jet Lite performs noticeably better with other fuels.
I'm with Greg. The only ones I had fail used crappy butane. The rest keep on truckin with Vector butane. I know it's more expensive but I'm on my second can in 8-9 years of smoking cigars. I'm going to say it's worth the extra couple bucks.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #28
Mr. Grimes
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Cass
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Mr. Grimes is on a distinguished road

I bought one and it worked for like a week. But, took it back to Wally World and got another no questions asked. I use the new one occasionally. The first one wouldn't refill. I think the reservoir was leaking too bad to hold any gas. Great buy though.
Mr. Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #29
ky70
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
ky70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I generally agree with not using Ronson fluid (bad stuff) but the Ronson lighter will eat and run on any butane fluid you feed it. My 8 year old Ronson has been abused and still lights everytime on any fuel.
ky70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #30
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road

I keep a few around (golf bag, glove box, etc) and also give them frequently as gifts to new smokers. I really like the dark-chrome art-deco line model... I found that you can scotch-brite and then polish it to a very interesting copper finish, but it tarnishes quickly. If I'd been a cigar smoker at the time, I likely would have had these engraved as groomsman gifts. The only real down-side is the puny capacity... I'm a fairly methodical toaster and touch-up-er and I can basically only get about 2 cigars out of a full tank.
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #31
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

I've had the same ronson for about 5 years and it has been left outside in the rain and sent through the washer. Still working!
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #32
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkins82 View Post
I keep a few around (golf bag, glove box, etc) and also give them frequently as gifts to new smokers. I really like the dark-chrome art-deco line model... I found that you can scotch-brite and then polish it to a very interesting copper finish, but it tarnishes quickly. If I'd been a cigar smoker at the time, I likely would have had these engraved as groomsman gifts. The only real down-side is the puny capacity... I'm a fairly methodical toaster and touch-up-er and I can basically only get about 2 cigars out of a full tank.
Yep your not kidding there.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote