Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about
Default Anyone have experience with these lighters? Cheap Ronson

I was bombed one of these a while ago, and it seems to last a while per Butane fill, and work better overall than either of the Xicars I have. I gave one of the cheaper Xikars to a coworker who's getting into Cigars, and was using a BIC. Then my other Xikar stopped working. I really hate sending stuff back to Manufacturers, so I started using this Ronson lighter as my sole lighter. I've been looking online, etc to find where I could get another, depending on price, and couldn't find anything about them anywhere.

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm walking through Walmart and see these out of the corner of my eye, on the shelf next to Zippos, and other Lighter stuff Walmart has by the tobacco area. These are $3.50 apiece, and feel really sturdy, and I haven't had a problem with the original yet. I'm not sure if anyone has had a lot of experience with these, but I figured I'd pass it along in case anyone needs a cheap lighter right away that works like a horse, or if someone's getting into Cigars (Seems like we've had a lot of new members lately.) I've attached a couple pictures.

Just trying to spread the love with y'all
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Robulous78

Default Re: Anyone have experience with these lighters? Cheap Ronson

Yea those work fine Brian, Single torch and not overly adjustable but they light reliably which for me is half the battle...

Now if only Ronson made a triple flame...
Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

True Rob, even a double flame would be great, but for the price, I'm ok with a single flame.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Robulous78

Yup... I agree, can't beat the price unless you were to buy a case on DX yourself or jump on a group buy, if you're buying individual lighters the Ronson are the way to go...

For a gift they are great, That being said, if it were going to be my go to lighter, I would then purge the Ronson fuel and refill with a better butane, I forget which but there are 2 types of butane n-butane and iso-butane, ronson comes pre-filled with the cheaper of the 2 and can possibly muttle tastes on mild sticks...
Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

Great point Rob. I use Xikar, and purged all of them. Thank you sir
Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

I love the Ronson jet, I have 3 or 4 laying around, my truck, the garage, the barn...etc. I don't care if I lose them and they are reliable for sure. The only drawback is not knowing how much fuel is left in them.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

This is good a point as any to ask, can you leave a filled lighter in a Vehicle? It seems like it'd be ok as long as it was in the glove box or something, but I'd rather rely on some FOG knowledge.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Love the Ronson. I always have 4 or 5 scattered.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
This is good a point as any to ask, can you leave a filled lighter in a Vehicle? It seems like it'd be ok as long as it was in the glove box or something, but I'd rather rely on some FOG knowledge.
i have 3 lighters in my truck all the time. filled all the time. never had a problem
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
Robulous78

as long as not left in the seat in direct sunlight, I have never had an issue with any lighter left in a vehicle...
Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

They are over built for the price. Not my everyday lighter but good to have in the car and other methodical locations.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Love the ronson Jetlite I own like 4 of those and full ten with the cheap ronson crap and they run great
Old 06-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #13
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Jet Lite is one of the best basic pocket size lighters and available for under $$4 at Many Walmart's. there are numerous old threads on here about Jet Lites.

That said though they almost disappeared from the stores for a couple of years and now back readily available but with an obviously cheaper feel. Someone bought Ronson out a few years ago but can't remember who it was. If you can find some older ones they work about the same but feel more solid. Once made in the U.S.A. But have been coming from China for a good while now.

Still far and above the best competitive priced pocket lighter from my experience. Nice that when traveling by air you can run in most Walmart's and pick up a jet lighter that works for $4 to use and toss or give away.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
captain53
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Love the ronson Jetlite I own like 4 of those and full ten with the cheap ronson crap and they run great
That is also a very good point they are about the only jet that will operate on the cheap Ronson fuel also available at Walmart. What a coincidence cheap crap and available at Walmart!

One note when looking for them the Ronsons are usually hanging with the Bic Crap in the checkout area, sometimes only in the tobacco checkout area. The Ronson fuel is in the hardware department and on the plumbing aisle sometimes.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

I love these things. I pick up 3 or 4 at a time. The tops get loose on them but other than that for 4 bucks you cant beat them.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The best value in a torch lighter on the planet.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #17
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

If you remove the adjustment limiter ring, you can get it turned up to a more acceptable level. It takes about 90 seconds to do, although it does lower the refill life expectancy a bit. I have at least 5-6 of these on hand at any time. I give them to noobs and such as my local wally world carries them for an ironic $3.57
Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
captain53
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
If you remove the adjustment limiter ring, you can get it turned up to a more acceptable level. It takes about 90 seconds to do, although it does lower the refill life expectancy a bit. I have at least 5-6 of these on hand at any time. I give them to noobs and such as my local wally world carries them for an ironic $3.57
Instructions for that process please, I got a drawer full of them and will give it a try on one.

A little more info on Ronson that I could not remember earlier:

In 2010 the Ronson company gave up and was taken over by the Zippo lighter company who had won the classical lighter war. However, the zippo companies are still keeping the Ronson Lighters company name alive by producing mostly cheap disposable lighters (the Comet) in the Ronson name.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I have to admit, I'm a cheap lighter person. If I'm lighting inside, I use a soft flame Bic. If I'm lighting outside, I use a Ronson. I lose too much stuff to buy expensive lighters. Or sunglasses.

I had a Palio, but can't for the life of me find it after not smoking all winter. I use the knife on my leatherman to cut my cigars now, and frankly it works just fine.

But on topic, agreed that Ronson Jetlites are awesome. They never fail, as long as I purge the lighter before every refill.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

I pick up all of those when I find them.
They are a great, cheap, reliable lighter.