Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #21
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Internet Sales Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldforge View Post
There will come a day when on-line cigars are a distant memory.

Stock up on your favs--you won't regret it.

I just smoked an El Rico Habano that I bought back in 2006--and it was even better than I remembered it.

The strong smokes can be aged a long time.
I totally agree with your forecast and I think that day will be sooner than later. We will be hoarding Cigars in a safe with our Ammo and High Capacity Magazines. Got to figure out how to build a 70% RH compartment.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #22
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
[b][color="Red"]U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 9, Clause 5: No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State.

This. I have paid sales tax for any online purchase inside the state of VA. As far as the "Shoe instance" stated by Brad I'm not sure if they ordered them online from the same state. If not, no harm no foul IMHO. Also, I know my wife has paid sales tax on items ordered online from other states and I'm not sure where that fits in. What is missed by buying cigars online is the sales tax AND tobacco taxes. Which one are we talking about here? Both?
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I listened to the arguments on the Newshour last night and in the end it left me feeling like
we SHOULD swallow hard and start paying taxes. I had many years of free internet business
and would not mind paying taxes if it kept my town or city alive with businesses. They
talked about a huge problem with a55holes in this new smartphone world who go into shoe
stores, try on shoes, get them fitted by a clerk, find exactly what they are looking for,
then waste all the store's time by saying 'No Thanks', and just ordering the 5hit online in the
car outside the store. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should.
But then again, the world's full of a55holes and always will be. EVERYONE in this country
is wondering where the jobs are, why has our country taken a nose dive off the economic cliff.
Greed and stupidity. Wanting everything, but not willing to do the hard part of keeping
an economy moving. It's like that 'story' told in a thread this month about the "green generation".
No perspective, no shame, so common sense.

All that said, if the policing agency just turns into another IRS, what did we gain?
And another good point made up above here in the thread, What about the giant
increase in road use by all the delivery trucks Amazonning that crap to your house?
Your roads are torn up, just like the ones in my city. And in Memphis we are on a
25 year paving cycle. TWENTY-FIVE YEARS! That's a generation. And with less and
less money on hand every year because more and more people get brave enough to
enter their CC# online, it gets worse and worse. You are seeing it happen right in front
of your face and you still want to keep on with no taxes? I got an advisory from Amazon
2-3 months ago saying that they had not given the info to Tennessee, BUT that I had
$500 dollars+ worth of internet buys I owed state sales taxes on. I went to the state
site and paid it, it was something like 35 bucks. I got my printed receipt and was happy
and satisfied to have done it.

You make a good point.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #24
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
This. I have paid sales tax for any online purchase inside the state of VA. As far as the "Shoe instance" stated by Brad I'm not sure if they ordered them online from the same state. If not, no harm no foul IMHO. Also, I know my wife has paid sales tax on items ordered online from other states and I'm not sure where that fits in. What is missed by buying cigars online is the sales tax AND tobacco taxes. Which one are we talking about here? Both?
Sales taxes, although a good argument can be made regarding tobacco taxes as well.