Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #2061
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Most everything you could want to know...I suggest reading that, and then posting any follow up questions here.

http://67.222.135.200/vb/showthread.php?t=618
The website that sells them also give great instructions depending on your humidor's dimensions, and additional instructions with your purchase. Just picked up a pound a half a couple of months ago for my cabinet and the humidity has been perfect!
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #2062
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
For the past years I've been using Boveda packs for my 3 big desktop humidors and for my coolidor (not the biggest one but big enough for about 10 boxes) and I am spending a ton on the boveda packs, I love them but they're expensive (48$ a cube of 12). I've been eyeballing HCM Cigar beads but am nervous about A- how to recharge them, and B- how many and what size to put in my humidors? Anyone who is familiar with these products let me know, I like the idea of having something that's a permanent source of humidification! Anything helps, thanks!
There is a lot of information out there in this forum or you can check the website (http://www.hcmcigarbeads.com) or you can contact me via PM or email (info@hcmcigarbeads.com).

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #2063
Eros
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Eros is on a distinguished road

I have been smoking cigars for a little over a year now. Typically 1 or 2 a month with the frequency increasing in the summer to about 1 a week. I have yet to taste a thing. I have tried retrohaling and still nothing. I must note that I have never, until recently let a cigar rest for more than two weeks after purchasing it online. I am wondering if anyone else has this issue, or is it something that can be learned? I want to enjoy the flavors and not just the art of smoking. I can tell that cigars differ from one another, but I certainly can't pick out any flavors. And I have had some pretty "premium" or well known brands.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #2064
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Wait they have flavors?

If you aren't smoking that often take it easy, it takes time for your pallet to adjust to the flavor profiles, sometimes if you hold the smoke in your mouth for a few seconds and exhale slowly it will help you pick up the taste notes.

What kind of sticks do you smoke, you might want to try something a bit more on the medium side or a nice maduro, something with a more pronounced flavors and a bit of punch to them.

It also depends on what you drink while you smoke, you might want to just try drinking water with a stick and see if that helps you pick up any of the subtle flavors, all in all give it time for your tastes to adjust.

I'm sure others can give better advice but that's my
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #2065
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
...I have yet to taste a thing. ... I want to enjoy the flavors and not just the art of smoking. I can tell that cigars differ from one another, but I certainly can't pick out any flavors.
I had the same issue. Also happened with wine. What really helped in finding different flavors in wine was doing a wine tasting event where they went through the different flavors on the palate. I started picking up hints of flavors in wines afterwards. It still takes time and my palate picks up stuff differently from other folks. Reason why I bring this up is you can do the same with cigars.

To me at least, I pick up the essence of something, not really the fully flavor of it. Things that did help was to actually taste some of the things I was supposed to be picking up. Cocoa, holiday type of spice, pepper both black and white, etc. I mean really smell and taste them. Its a combo between the taste of the smoke on the tongue/palate and also through the nose. I had to learn how to take in the smoke just right. It took practice and I agree that maybe more than 1 a week might help you. I have smoked quite a few cigars with people who have never smoked before and can't remember a single one that could pick up a taste. I am sure it happens but not with me so far.

One thing I always do it make sure I take the time to smell the cigar pre-light to see what I can recognize; barnyard, cocoa, tobacco, cedar, sweetness, etc. Take my time to really enjoy the aroma's the cigar is making. This is part of the mystique and enjoyment to smoking cigars.

I have also found humidity plays a role in this and also what I am drinking at the time. Shoot, what I had for dinner can affect it too.

Anyway, you will get a lot of more educated answers than mine, just sharing the little things I have done.

-C
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #2066
carlcalvin

Fancier label could make cigar taste better. it all depends.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #2067
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcalvin View Post
Fancier label could make cigar taste better. it all depends.
Only if you smoke the label.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #2068
mcjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by renton20 View Post
My understanding is that by toasting the foot it is easier to ensure an even burn throughout the cigar.
Agree. But make sure to use a wooden match. Lighter with a noxious gas affects the chemical taste to your cigar and affect the pleasure of your cigar-smoking experience. Butane is acceptable.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #2069
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjoe View Post
Agree. But make sure to use a wooden match. Lighter with a noxious gas affects the chemical taste to your cigar and affect the pleasure of your cigar-smoking experience. Butane is acceptable.
The post you replied to is two and a half years old.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #2070
marktomblin57
DoubleBarrell007

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Trinidad
marktomblin57 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone hear of the cigars Slober Knockers? Who makes them?
marktomblin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #2071
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktomblin57 View Post
RoMa Craft Tobac

http://romacrafttobac.com/cromagnon.html
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #2072
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
RoMa Craft Tobac, limited release from last year.

From their blog: "The Slobberknocker, is a 7 ½ x 56 two-headed schizophrenic beast hybrid of the CroMagnon and Aquitaine blends. The filler contains a double-dose of ligero, which our most avid fans know is a characteristic of our Mandible vitola. For the binder, we use the thickest, gnarliest Ecuador Habano Ligero leaf from our Aquitaine wrapper-leaf inventory. For the wrapper, we use the highest grade US Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro from our CroMagnon wrapper-leaf inventory. Each cigar is hand bunched, pressed and rolled by a single master torcedor."
Old 06-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #2073
marktomblin57
DoubleBarrell007

First Name: Mark
Trinidad
marktomblin57 is on a distinguished road

Another newbie question. So how do I find a HERF in my area in East Texas around Livingston. There's so much to learn.

Mark
marktomblin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #2074
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Another newbie question. So how do I find a HERF in my area in East Texas around Livingston. There's so much to learn.

Mark
Keep and eye on the Texas Banter thread, seems like a lot of us Houston area people are commenting there about events. Get on the facebook pages/websites/twitter etc for local B&M's to know when they are having any kind of event. Keep an eye on the Herf section of the forums. Or start one yourself.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #2075
organgrinder
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Chris
Punch Navy (Served With Honor)
organgrinder is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys a newbie humidor question here

In your opinions would I be better served to start out with a fridgador with shelves from chasidor right away or start out with a desk top model

I currently and using a tupperdor that is full and i am expecting a shipment on Mon

It seems that a decent wooden humidor is about the same price as a fridge without the shelves

I really like the chasidor shelves in the wine fridges

I would not be getting the shelves for a few months

Just looking for opinions

Thanks in advance
organgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #2076
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by organgrinder View Post
Hey Guys a newbie humidor question here

In your opinions would I be better served to start out with a fridgador with shelves from chasidor right away or start out with a desk top model

I currently and using a tupperdor that is full and i am expecting a shipment on Mon

It seems that a decent wooden humidor is about the same price as a fridge without the shelves

I really like the chasidor shelves in the wine fridges

I would not be getting the shelves for a few months

Just looking for opinions

Thanks in advance
Since you're in WI, heat is not a problem so why go with a wine fridge? And unless you want a piece of furniture, I would suggest a Coleman or Igloo cooler. Best bang for the buck for cigar storage. More money to spend filling it up!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #2077
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Since you're in WI, heat is not a problem so why go with a wine fridge? And unless you want a piece of furniture, I would suggest a Coleman or Igloo cooler. Best bang for the buck for cigar storage. More money to spend filling it up!

I double his

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #2078
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Chasidor disappeared from the forum quite some time ago.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #2079
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post

Greg is correct. I keep my coolers in the basement and they stay perfect!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #2080
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

As others have said: if aesthetics are not an issue, a cooler is the best way to go.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote