Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #101
Jack1000

Default Re: Shilala Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
I certainly would be.

Because this happens to me....

_____they can't get the humidity high enough (in the winter for me)and if I put it in the basement where it's more humid it can't get it down low enough(in the summer)______

For me though if I put my coolerdors in "body bag" type garbage bags that does solve it. Of course I'd rather not deal with it.
Yeah-- I have a vinotemp, a large desktop and a avanti compressor based dorm fridge. I had to unplug the avanti, but the humidity is steady in it now that it is not running. Problem is that the cigars are over 76 sometimes--no beetles yet though.
The vinotemp is okay, but it has wild swings when my office gets hot. I'm hoping the shila beads help this one. The desktop cabinet has a cigar oasis in it that works pretty well, but those cigars get warm as well.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #102
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
Scott can you suggest a way to keep the bags from splitting? The large bags that sit at the bottom of my vino are fine but the ones that get moved around from time to time in the desktops have some issues. Two or 3 of the small bags have split on me. I tried to melt the bags back together with a torch with varying degrees of success. Actually not much success, just a lot of fail.
If you think the packaging for your beads is getting worn and will leak, let me know and I will send you out a replacement and then you can return the worn out one (placing it in a ziplock or the like before shipping it ). No charge for you except the postage to return the old one.

This applies whether you purchased the beads from either me or Scott.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #103
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
If you think the packaging for your beads is getting worn and will leak, let me know and I will send you out a replacement and then you can return the worn out one (placing it in a ziplock or the like before shipping it ). No charge for you except the postage to return the old one.

This applies whether you purchased the beads from either me or Scott.
+1 for that customer service!!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #104
stewshi
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (23)
stewshi will become famous soon enough

yup as always great customer service wish all companies were this good
stewshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #105
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I just purchased 3 more 8oz bags!
These are hands down the easiest form of humidification I have found!
Great product!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #106
LigaPrivadaT84

I've started using these since late Sept and was using Heartfelt beads for almost a decade prior.
So far been rock steady at 65% without any issues or maintenance.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #107
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I just purchased 3 more 8oz bags!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #108
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Zombifying this thread to ask a question & get opinions:

I've had 8 oz of Shilala beads in my glasstop for a long time. After resealing the humi last year, it's maintained 62% pretty solidly year round.

Haven't had a cigar from there in about 10 days, but when I passed by this morning I took a peek at the hygrometer and it read 67dg/50%. 50%??!?! The temp is correct, so I'm not thinking it's the batteries. I'll do a recalibration this weekend, meanwhile can anyone explain that significant of a drop in humidity? If the beads need recharging, will they gradually lose their moisture or can it be that precipitous?

Thanks for your thoughts!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #109
grateful1
testing

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
grateful1 is on a distinguished road

Aside from not knowing what the beads are....I'd say you may want to re-calibrate them.
grateful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #110
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Gerard, hygros can go flaky, too. I have one in my winador that's driving me nuts. I just put batteries in it and recalibrated it and it's still off by a mile. I'm going to throw it in the calibration bag again and see what it says (I use a bunch of 65% Boveda bags in a gallon ziplock to calibrate).
Being as your situation doesn't make sense, I'm just taking a wild shot. It wouldn't hurt to replace the battery if it's been in there more than a year.
Your humi could have split a seam or something, too.
You know what you're doing, so I won't bore you to death, I just wanted to point out that hygros can get goofy cause I'm going through that right now.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #111
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Updating my situation:

I swapped out the hygrometer from my cooler with the one in the glasstop, and it still read 50%. So I took out the bottom layer of sticks in the humidor, placed a bowl of water in with the beads, put the top tray back in, and sealed her up. Over the past 10 days, the humidity has slowly climbed by about 1% per day so she's sitting right now at 70dg/67%. I may go a tad higher before returning all the cigars to their previous positions.

Not sure what caused the drop. I resealed this last year, and it had been holding steady for some time. Could be that my stepson, who spends a lot of time in that room, or one of his friends, have been poking around in the humidor, but I won't ever know that for sure.

Anyway, the problem seems to be fixing itself, so that's the important thing.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #112
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

I figured I should update my humidor status since going beads.

Since I got beads shilala beads through Michael (CigarNut) Everytime I open my humidor its on 65% not even a 1% fluctuation. I can't believe how rock solid it stays. No more overpriced water and flower foam BS.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #113
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Very dumb question. I really don't want to pan through 6 pages for an answer either.
What do you put this on? I mean, it doesn't seem like you could put the Distilled water in it, and just leave that on bare wood. Wouldn't that cause problems?
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #114
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
Very dumb question. I really don't want to pan through 6 pages for an answer either.
What do you put this on? I mean, it doesn't seem like you could put the Distilled water in it, and just leave that on bare wood. Wouldn't that cause problems?
I have no idea what you are asking? Is this a reference to beads? Hydrating?
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #115
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

Yea, I went to the website, and there was a pouch that comes in different sizes and weights. I'm not sure if you just put some water in it, and then just drop it off?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #116
JoeCool87TC
Relaxing in Paradise...

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JoeCool87TC is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Shilala Beads

Just thought I'd throw my experiences into the ring here. I'm a relative newbie, only been smoking cigars since October 2010. When I started purchasing stuff, I did my research and on the humidity-control side bought into the Shilala/HCM beads.

Since my first 75-count size desktop humidor, I've expanded into a smallish end-table humidor, and also constructed a DIY temperature-controlled Igloodor. Everything I've got uses Shilala/HCM beads. However, I confess that I do have active humidification in the end table because it was second hand and leaks a bit more than it should, and and I'm a lazy butt. One of these days I'll get some weather stripping and be done with it.

I've always dealt with Mike (CigarNut) and he's a great guy; the product isn't so bad either (vast understatement, grin).

So far I've not had an RH blip that wasn't self inflicted or an hygrometer glitch. I do know for sure though, that if I ever grow past the 600 stick level I'm at now, you can be sure it'll be with HCM beads!

GREAT job, guys! Kudos for the science AND the great customer relations! My hat's off to you!

Last edited by JoeCool87TC; 02-26-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Verbiage correction
JoeCool87TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #117
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yea, I went to the website, and there was a pouch that comes in different sizes and weights. I'm not sure if you just put some water in it, and then just drop it off?
Nothing to do or add. Just buy the beads put them in your humidor and enjoy steady RH bliss.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #118
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
You never add water directly to HCM beads. There are detailed instructions on the website and shipped with the beads that explain how to raise or lower the RH so I won't repeat them here. While it takes a litte time it is not too difficult.

The beads are shipped to you in a vacuum sealed bag at 65% RH. All you need to do is place them in your humidor, they can go anywhere in your humidor, most people place them on the bottom. It is OK if the beads touch your cigars.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #119
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Nothing to do or add. Just buy the beads put them in your humidor and enjoy steady RH bliss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
You never add water directly to HCM beads. There are detailed instructions on the website and shipped with the beads that explain how to raise or lower the RH so I won't repeat them here. While it takes a litte time it is not too difficult.

The beads are shipped to you in a vacuum sealed bag at 65% RH. All you need to do is place them in your humidor, they can go anywhere in your humidor, most people place them on the bottom. It is OK if the beads touch your cigars.

haha thanks. That's where I was confused.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #120
Bad Finger

What is the reason for the specific size of the beads? To add surface area over what larger beads offer? Sorry, just had me curious.