Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #2021
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Took a picture.

Those grips look great. So does the chunk of metal they are attached to. Nice purchase, Hal. I am in the middle of debating a 1911 myself.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #2022
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Those grips look great. So does the chunk of metal they are attached to. Nice purchase, Hal. I am in the middle of debating a 1911 myself.
Thanks.

I decided on this particular model for three reasons. 1- no top sights makes it easier to draw because the top has nothing to snag on.(it has a trench site) 2- I wanted a 1911 frame but not in a full size so this was nice. 3- some of the others that are similar have a funny bushing in the front that makes it a beach to disassemble and reassemble.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #2023
floydpink
crazy diamond

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Interesting conversation at the range today.

I went to shoot my Mossberg and they have a rifle range that they allow you to shoot buckshot or slugs.

I bought some 00 Buck and he asked if I needed some to bring home as well as shoot.

I mentioned that I use #7 birdshot at home for defense and explained that the reason is to avoid overpenetration as my daughter's room is across the house. I also said I felt that steel birdshot at close range will make a bad day for an intruder.

He went on to say that if a crack head invaded my house on drugs, birdshot would make him angry and might not drop him.

While I disagree, it has me thinking about loading 2 birdshots, then getting more serious after and leaving the last 3 as buck shot.

While I am nervous about the prospect of remodeling or rebuilding the house after shooting buckshot, it sure beats the alternative.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #2024
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post

I went to shoot my Mossberg and they have a rifle range that they allow you to shoot buckshot or slugs.

I bought some 00 Buck and he asked if I needed some to bring home as well as shoot.

I mentioned that I use #7 birdshot at home for defense and explained that the reason is to avoid overpenetration as my daughter's room is across the house. I also said I felt that steel birdshot at close range will make a bad day for an intruder.

He went on to say that if a crack head invaded my house on drugs, birdshot would make him angry and might not drop him.

While I disagree, it has me thinking about loading 2 birdshots, then getting more serious after and leaving the last 3 as buck shot.

While I am nervous about the prospect of remodeling or rebuilding the house after shooting buckshot, it sure beats the alternative.
Here's an article about using birdshot for defense: http://shilohtv.com/?p=2490 While I don't use birdshot for home defense, it could be a viable option. I would load some 00 buck shells behind the birdshot for piece of mind, because if they're still coming after taking 2 rounds of birdshot at close range you've got some big problems...
Old 03-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #2025
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:

have you taken drywall to the range and fired your HD load at it? if not do so
Old 03-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #2026
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
have you taken drywall to the range and fired your HD load at it? if not do so
Not sure they'd shut down the lanes and let me set uo my own drywall.....
Old 03-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #2027
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Taken from "The Box O' Truth"

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

Quote:
Birdshot as a Defense Load
I have had a lot of questions, summed up as follows: How effective is birdshot (#4, #6, #8, etc.) as a defense load?

We have done tests with various birdshot loads. Birdshot penetrated through two pieces of drywall (representing one wall) and was stopped in the paper on the front of the second wall. The problem with birdshot is that it does not penetrate enough to be effective as a defense round. Birdshot is designed to bring down little birds.

A policeman told of seeing a guy shot at close range with a load of 12 gauge birdshot, and was not even knocked down. He was still walking around when the EMTs got there. It was an ugly, shallow wound, but did not STOP the guy. And that is what we want... to STOP the bad guy from whatever he is doing. To do this, you must have a load that will reach the vitals of the bad guy. Birdshot will not do this.

In fact, tests have shown that even #4 Buckshot lacks the necessary penetration to reach the vital organs. Only 0 Buck, 00 Buck, and 000 Buck penetrate enough to reach the vital organs.

Unless you expect to be attacked by little birds, do not use birdshot. Use 00 Buck. It will do the job.

But doesn't 00 Buck penetrate too much in interior walls to be a "safe" load in a home?
Yes, it does penetrate a lot. But any load that is going to be effective will need to penetrate walls to have enough power to penetrate bad guys. If our only concern was to be sure we didn't penetrate walls, we would use BB guns. However, BB guns will not stop bad guys.

Therefore, we must use loads that will STOP bad guys, and this means that they will also penetrate walls. So, be sure you hit the bad guy and do not shoot into walls where loved ones are on the other side.
Maybe one day if I find some extra drywall lying around I'll do the test myself around the 7 - 10yrd distance.

Also good reading:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=176
Old 03-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #2028
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

I've read the Box of Truth, which has me rethinking the bird shot.

I also lost count of how many times I've read about guys dying on Turkey hunts from friendly fire, although Dick Cheney's friend made it through..

I also have a friend who works trauma in the ER and has described what a birdshot wound from close range looks like and if someone still is coming after that, I am in trouble.

I still am under the impression that at 15 yards or less, which is almost anywhere I would be involved in my house, there won't be too much spread from birdshot.

My decision would be a lot easier if the most important thing in my life didn't sleep in such a non strategic location and the thought of overpenetration didn't weigh so heavily.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #2029
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

My decision would be a lot easier if the most important thing in my life didn't sleep in such a non strategic location and the thought of overpenetration didn't weigh so heavily.
Then don't let me change your mind, just practice your double and triple taps
Old 03-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #2030
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

On a side note, I picked up a Mossberg Maverick at Walmart last Wednesday for $175.

They cal it the Mexican Mossberg because some of the parts are made in Mexico, but the gun is assembled in the Mossberg plant in Texas.

It is nearly identical to the Mossberg 500 with the exception if the cross bar safety and synthetic stock, which can easly be swapped with the 500's stock if you want.

The only problem was it was a field model with a 26" barrel, which a trip to the gunsmith and $40 corrected and it is now 1/2 " above legal limit at 18.5".

I'll try to post up a pic later.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #2031
fireguy714

anyone looking to unload a ar-15 colt or springfield or open to suggestions, im in cali so pre or post assult weapon ban, long as the 10 rd clip can be removed with that "special tool". Also looking for a barrett 50 10+ rd w or without scope, its for rabbit hunting i swear.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #2032
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy714 View Post
anyone looking to unload a ar-15 colt or springfield or open to suggestions, im in cali so pre or post assult weapon ban, long as the 10 rd clip can be removed with that "special tool". Also looking for a barrett 50 10+ rd w or without scope, its for rabbit hunting i swear.
Not sure if you're joking or not.

Colts are pretty much banned by name except one, can't remember it off the top of my head right now. Not sure if springfield is making one as I don't follow their line of goods. And 50's have been banned as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #2033
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Not sure if you're joking or not.

Colts are pretty much banned by name except one, can't remember it off the top of my head right now. Not sure if springfield is making one as I don't follow their line of goods. And 50's have been banned as well.

Stay classy California...

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #2034
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
On a side note, I picked up a Mossberg Maverick at Walmart last Wednesday for $175.

They cal it the Mexican Mossberg because some of the parts are made in Mexico, but the gun is assembled in the Mossberg plant in Texas.

It is nearly identical to the Mossberg 500 with the exception if the cross bar safety and synthetic stock, which can easly be swapped with the 500's stock if you want.

The only problem was it was a field model with a 26" barrel, which a trip to the gunsmith and $40 corrected and it is now 1/2 " above legal limit at 18.5".

I'll try to post up a pic later.
Just asking, does that mod have to be done by a gunsmith?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #2035
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaacH View Post
Just asking, does that mod have to be done by a gunsmith?
No. Believe me, I thought of putting the barrel on the work bench and hacking it off like a redneck.

They do a much nicer job and re- crown it and it looks new.

I was going to buy a barrel online but it cost about what the shotgun.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #2036
fireguy714

cali law states that clips must be perm. attatched, and you must top load through the open bolt, a speed loader doesnt work to great if your in a hurry. it is a felony for a clip that holds more than 10 rds, all clips must have a block installed, you can have a 50 rd mag but when rangers show up that 11th rd = time. Military can have 10 plus, but if the ranger is a dXXk good luck. like game hunting, if ir tube feeds more than 3, out of luck. Been stopped by a ranger they been cool with proper id for hi cap mags, but there is that one. Buddy has a belt fed ar15, cant wait to meet the rangers on that one, but rabbits breed fast and you gotta keep up. keep shooting, theres always targets

Old 03-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #2037
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Troy
Trading: (107)
HdM
boom will become famous soon enoughboom will become famous soon enough

Just put a down on my new m&p 40
Old 03-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #2038
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Took a picture.

She's a beaut' Hal, we need to go shooting one day!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #2039
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #2040
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post

HAHA at the academy the first day of firearms training one of my classmates called it a clip and he got reamed by one of the instructors.