Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default News from Taylor

Hey friends.

I don't post near as much as I used to but I do check in most everyday and see what's going on.

Figured I would update on what's been going on for me lately.

Most of you know I work for our local EMS County ran service. I turned 53 in May and have almost 2 years til I am 55. At 55 I can retire and draw the retirement. I will only have 17 years of service at 55 yoa, so that will pay me about 1800 a month. After insurance, and taxes I figure I will have 1000 to 1100 a month.

Last year I bought a new lawnmower for our 5 acres. I bought a commercial Scag 52 inch that cost almost 7k. In my estimation I figured I would buy something that would last for years to come rather than spend a couple grand on something that would be worn out in 3 to 5 years.

I financed the mower for 48 months interest free. After buying it I told the wife that I was going to find 4 or 5 yards to mow to make the mower payment. I got 5 or 6 yards pretty quickly and was making 400 per month or so for the first month and a half. Sitting at home on a Sunday I got a phone call from a friend that has had a lawn service for the last 5 years. He told me he was going to have to get out of the business because of family obligations and asked me if I wanted his lawn care customers. I told him sure I would be glad to have them. From what I understand most of the time people sell them for 3 to 6 months of the revenue they bring in per month so that was a plum deal. He took me around and introduced me to the clients and I took them over in August of last year. There were about 20 solid customers with a few that call when needed since they don't have the money for regular service.

I was making almost 2k per month through last summer into November. These aren't annual contracts, just service during the season. Started back up with almost 100% of the customers I had and have now added quite a few. I am up to about 4.5K per month, which is actually more than I make at my "full-time" job. It keeps me quite busy but the money is great. It is my plan to retire at 55 and keep this going until I am unable to do it anymore. I have bought another Scag in 61 cut as well and hopefully soon I will be buying a large enclosed trailer to haul all my equipment at once.

To put this in perspective- I have had a license to sell life and health insurance since 1997. I made very good money selling medicare insurance the first year, but after that it went down every year afterward and I haven't sold insurance in several years now. I have a Security Officers License and worked security armed and unarmed on the side but that only pays about 10 to 12 per hour. I have a Private Investigator License and worked for a guy for two years as an intern. He paid me $20 per hour but the problem with that is you have to drive your auto and buy the gas and it was never for more than a few hours so I was really not making much at the end of the day.

I charge about $40 per hour for the Lawncare. After gas and equipment it's still probably about the best money I have made on a side job. Once I retire from EMS and can do it full-time I can probably make more than I make annually in EMS, and only work 8 or 9 month's a year to do it.

I don't know what the future holds because plans sometimes have to change to fit circumstances but that's what I am planning.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: News from Taylor

Sounds like things are going good Greg, glad to hear!
Old 07-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Sounds like things are going good Greg, glad to hear!
It's hot and sweaty, dusty and all that, but I work for myself. It keeps me busy but coming from the EMS side for the last 15 years, it will probably keep me healthier because I was out of shape. It almost killed me for the first month or 2, but now I am tougher. LOL. And it's been very hot here this summer too so if you're gonna be stupid you gotta be tough Mike. LOL
Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

That's great, Greg. Thanks for sharing. Prayers for God's continued blessings on you and your family.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Good to hear Double G!....sounds like you gotta solid plan!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
That's great, Greg. Thanks for sharing. Prayers for God's continued blessings on you and your family.
I appreciate that Joe. Even in the things that were tough or hard in my life I can look back (and even during them) and see that God has been so good to our family over my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Good to hear Double G!....sounds like you gotta solid plan!
Thanks Keith!!!!! I need to borrow some money to expand brother, help a guy out. LOL
Old 07-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Outstanding, Mr. Gainey!
Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Very cool! It’s good to hear things are working out for you. I hope you are able to make time for a cigar or two!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

You've really turned a little side gig into a solid long-term plan, Greg! Good on ya, I am happy for you.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #10
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
You've really turned a little side gig into a solid long-term plan, Greg! Good on ya, I am happy for you.
If I had realized how much money people will pay for you to cut their grass I woulda been side giggin the crap out of some Lawncare for the whole 15 years I been working EMS. Coulda probably retired for good by now. LOL. Thanks Tom.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #11
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Love when good things happen to good people, not enough of that in the world anymore, Congrats!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Good for you Greg. Working outdoors and shaping up is great. I know it's not my business so I won't ask. For your thoughts, is there any benefit to staying with EMS in order to get a bigger pension? You'll always collect the pension while on the sunny side of the dirt. Hopefully it won't happen but as you age it may be difficult to keep up the physical part of landscaping.
Just food for thought. I wish you the best.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #13
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Gato View Post
Good for you Greg. Working outdoors and shaping up is great. I know it's not my business so I won't ask. For your thoughts, is there any benefit to staying with EMS in order to get a bigger pension? You'll always collect the pension while on the sunny side of the dirt. Hopefully it won't happen but as you age it may be difficult to keep up the physical part of landscaping.
Just food for thought. I wish you the best.
Hey Uncle Cat (lol). Yeah you are probably right but......

I am getting weary of going out in the middle of the night for stubbed toes and being a glorified cab ride to the ER for the most ridiculous things. Plus management and the county government has let this department go downhill and employ people that frankly I can't work with a few of them anymore. I will tough it out for a couple years and the plans can always change. I am going to keep my licenses up so I can always do something if need be. I have a friend that owns his own insurance agency and he has told me numerous times that there will always be a place for me to work with him. I have options which I thank the Lord for.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:47 AM   #14
longknocker
Postwhore

Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Greg: As You Know, The Medical Field Jobs Have Gotten Tougher & Tougher. Landscaping Seems To Be A Great Choice For You, My Friend!. Prayers Sent For You & Your Family!
longknocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Your business is in its infancy and growing. Good for you. Think of how many lawns you'll have in 3-5 seasons and then selling them to the next entity down the road.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #16
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Your business is in its infancy and growing. Good for you. Think of how many lawns you'll have in 3-5 seasons and then selling them to the next entity down the road.
Moses is right. Build your business and sell it for a boatload someday.