Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 11-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #41
Spect
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
LGC
Spect is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

My wife and I are enjoying a Glenlivet Nadurra right now, it's her 2nd or 3rd scotch and she's loving it. I find the Nadurra a little sweet, for the moment I enjoy it but I don't think it's something I could have regularly.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #42
kayaker

I can't get that (Nadura) where I live so I'll have to keep an eye out for it abroad.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #43
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloo View Post
Yes it is. I have a bottle too. For ~$50, it is tought to beat this. It takes a hairy chest to drink and is somwhat potent (not in a harsh way, in a pungent way if that makes sense), but the back vanilla on the it is outstanding. Pair with a patagas black!
When I first tried the Nadurra neat my first thought was this will put hair on your chest and if you had hair on your chest it will remove it. But I've experimented with it and for me the best way to drink it is one ice cube, two shots of Nadurra and 1/2 shot spring water.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #44
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

How is the Bowmore 18 for a newbie? Stick w/the Glenmorangie 1st?
Posted via Mobile Device
Buena Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #45
kayaker

I'd start with the Glenmorangie to warm yourself up. Then give the Bowmore a try. Just cleanse your palate in between with some bread or a plain, unsalted cracker and some water. Go slow on the Bowmore though. It should be pretty smooth at 18, but the taste will still be bigger than the Glenmorangie.

Just us know your impressions.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #46
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna View Post
How is the Bowmore 18 for a newbie? Stick w/the Glenmorangie 1st?
Posted via Mobile Device
Bowmore 18 can be pricey. Why not start with a Bowmore 10, a great single malt, at about 1/3 the price!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #47
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
Though I don't remember why, I was told one time that Scotch Whisky is always spelled "whisky" while Bourbon, Sour Mash and others are always spelled whiskey.
I think you are right but I am so used to drinking the single malts and have seen the "e" omitted so many times, I just do it naturally for all although I typically refer to Bourbon as just plain old bourbon, not whisky at all even though it is.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #48
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
I think you are right but I am so used to drinking the single malts and have seen the "e" omitted so many times, I just do it naturally for all although I typically refer to Bourbon as just plain old bourbon, not whisky at all even though it is.
You have a point. When I offer guests something to drink I never say whiskey. I usually say Scotch, Bourbon, Sour Mash, Tequila or Rum unless they are really good friends who know me then I just give them the brand names. (I save a lot of Scotch that way because most of them think of the cheap blends when you say scotch. If I said single malt, I would go through a lot more.)
Old 11-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #49
MadAl
Adjusting to the Life

SLR
MadAl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Bowmore 18 can be pricey. Why not start with a Bowmore 10, a great single malt, at about 1/3 the price!
I really like Bowmore Darkest. Probably in the middle pricewise.
MadAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #50
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

I picked up the Bowmore for $60 w/a leather Bowmore cigar case

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAl View Post
I really like Bowmore Darkest. Probably in the middle pricewise.
Posted via Mobile Device
Buena Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #51
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
While I don't like scotch as a rule I can't drink enough Drambuie,,which is a scotch whiskey with honey and herbs. If anyone else has had this is there another type of scotch that compares taste wise?
Drambuie is of course unique, however for something along similar lines, I would recommend you try the Glayva. I have a bottle, its quite interesting. I like it if I'm in the mood for something sweeter (although I'm still a classic single malt fan at heart).

""Hugely popular Scottish whisky liqueur based on honey, spices and herbs. The name is supposed to have come from Gaelic "Glembath" meaning 'very good' ""
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-5237.aspx
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Glayva_Whisky__Review_5614385
Old 11-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #52
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

What is a good IRISH wiskey?

I've had and have a wide variety of scotch wiskey.. but I've never had Irish. I've heard some good things about the "authentic" stuff that they mostly drink over there.... but I dont know WHAT that is..... anyone have some suggestions for good irish wiskeys?
Old 11-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #53
kayaker

These are the single malts:

Bushmills. I've had the 10 yr and enjoyed it

Connemara is a peated single malt. I've had and enjoyed it more because I like peat.

There's also Locke's and Tryconnell. I only just heard of these so haven't tried them.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #54
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
These are the single malts:

Bushmills. I've had the 10 yr and enjoyed it

Connemara is a peated single malt. I've had and enjoyed it more because I like peat.

There's also Locke's and Tryconnell. I only just heard of these so haven't tried them.
Try the bushmills 21. Even though it is an Irish Whisky and not a scotch, it is unbelievable.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:17 PM   #55
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
What is a good IRISH wiskey?

I've had and have a wide variety of scotch wiskey.. but I've never had Irish. I've heard some good things about the "authentic" stuff that they mostly drink over there.... but I dont know WHAT that is..... anyone have some suggestions for good irish wiskeys?
Redbreast Irish Whiskey 12yo is wonderful. Also, Jameson Irish Whiskey, Jameson 12yo and Jameson 18yo. I have never tried the 18yo, however, the standard Jameson is a great whiskey and the 12yo is amazing!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #56
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Try the bushmills 21. Even though it is an Irish Whisky and not a scotch, it is unbelievable.
21 eh? do I even want to ask what that sucker is going to cost me?
Posted via Mobile Device
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #57
Walt

After coming across this thread I decided to swing by the Wine and Spirits shop for a bottle of Scotch on the way home from work. I jotted down a few brands and headed out wanting to try something new. Some of the available recommendations were a little pricey so I decided to give the McClelland's Islay a try.

Up until now I have really enjoyed Macallan 12, Glenfiddich, and Glenlivet. While in Vegas for IPCPR I had a sample of Laphroag and didn't care for it at all. I'm not sure what variety I had but it was way over the top with a peaty flavor.

I tried this McClelland's Islay tonight and it has that same peaty flavor, although much more subdued. Is this Peaty flavor profile typical of an Islay? After trying it I decided to read the bottle and saw mentions of peaty flavor due to the water used, which is why I ask.

While I dont enjoy it nearly as much as the others mentioned, it certainly won't go to waste. Sure beats my first experience with Scotch in the form of Johnny Walker Red Label (that made me gag after sipping it).
Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #58
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
After coming across this thread I decided to swing by the Wine and Spirits shop for a bottle of Scotch on the way home from work. I jotted down a few brands and headed out wanting to try something new. Some of the available recommendations were a little pricey so I decided to give the McClelland's Islay a try.

Up until now I have really enjoyed Macallan 12, Glenfiddich, and Glenlivet. While in Vegas for IPCPR I had a sample of Laphroag and didn't care for it at all. I'm not sure what variety I had but it was way over the top with a peaty flavor.

I tried this McClelland's Islay tonight and it has that same peaty flavor, although much more subdued. Is this Peaty flavor profile typical of an Islay? After trying it I decided to read the bottle and saw mentions of peaty flavor due to the water used, which is why I ask.

While I dont enjoy it nearly as much as the others mentioned, it certainly won't go to waste. Sure beats my first experience with Scotch in the form of Johnny Walker Red Label (that made me gag after sipping it).
I hope this helps!

This is a brief description of the flavor profiles most prominent by Region:

Lowlands:
The best have strong suggestions of lemon grass and maltiness.

Highlands:
The Northern Areas offer a spicy character.
The remaining areas of the Highlands offer distinctly fruity flavor profiles.

Speyside:
These are noted in general for their elegance, and flowery, heather-honey nuances, and they sometimes offer a very restrained, fragrant, peatiness.

Islay:
The best have strong notes of peat, hints of saltiness and strong medicinal nuances.

Campbeltown:
The best have a briny, salty flavor profile with restrained peaty & medicinal notes.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:06 AM   #59
kayaker

The peaty taste common to the Islay malt, does come in part from the water. However, it would most like come most from the drying process for the malted barley. After the soaking and germination (to get more sugars), the barley has to be dried. Islay has a great deal of peat available on it, so it was common burn peat for the drying.

Some distilleries still malt some of their own barley, but I don't think any malt all of it. Malted barley can be ordered to the exact peating level required (measured in phenolic parts per million). 50 ppms would be at the higher end of the peat spectrum, although there are some distilleries putting out special bottlings with 80 + ppm.

If memory serves me correct, the McClellands Islay is a young Bowmore. Try the older stuff if you can (12 +).
Old 12-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #60
MadAl
Adjusting to the Life

SLR
MadAl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
I hope this helps!

This is a brief description of the flavor profiles most prominent by Region:

Lowlands:
The best have strong suggestions of lemon grass and maltiness.

Highlands:
The Northern Areas offer a spicy character.
The remaining areas of the Highlands offer distinctly fruity flavor profiles.

Speyside:
These are noted in general for their elegance, and flowery, heather-honey nuances, and they sometimes offer a very restrained, fragrant, peatiness.

Islay:
The best have strong notes of peat, hints of saltiness and strong medicinal nuances.

Campbeltown:
The best have a briny, salty flavor profile with restrained peaty & medicinal notes.
Don't forget Islands, though diverse there are some really nice single malts with unique characteristics.
MadAl is offline   Reply With Quote