Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Uh... Problem..

Somehow my hcm beads in my humidor have gone all out of wack, the RH in my humidor is less than 60%... This literally has happened in a span of a couple days while recalibrating my hygrometers. Both are working perfectly and are reading the same in my humidor. I don't know what happened?

How do i recharge the HCM beads before my cigars dry out?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation
Default Re: Uh... Problem..

http://www.shilalasbeads.com/2010-02...structions.pdf

second half of page 1
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

As was pointed out the instructions are on the website. Make sure that the problem is that the RH of the beads is not correct by placing the beads in a container with a hygrometer for several hours. Once you know if the problem is the beads (or not) we can proceed from there.

One thing to note - a change like this will not ruin your cigars, particularly if you caught in early. Once you get the problem identified and resolved your cigars will come back just fine with a little time.

What I am trying to say -- is don't panic. I know that this is easier said that done. I am confident that everything will turn out OK.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
dwoodward

HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Okay. I just took the beads out and put them in a bag with a hygrometer. I will watch what happens over the next couple hours. Maybe they just need to be recharged.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
dwoodward

HUpmann

Okay, its been a couple hours. I went downstairs to my humidor and looked at the bag. 65%.

So I guess that means that the beads are fine. What could cause such a huge drop in RH? My humidor doesn't leak, its been at 65% for like 2 months now. The only thing I have done recently was pull some cigars out for sevans105 and put in the cigars he gifted me.

Very Confused...
Old 09-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

It coult be lots of things; did the ambient temperature or humidity around the humidor change?

Maybe the humidor did not get closed all the way -- check the area around the lid to see if some debris has gotten in the way.

It also maybe that with changes over time your humidor has developed a leak, so if all else fails you might do a leak test on the humidor itself.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
dwoodward

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
It coult be lots of things; did the ambient temperature or humidity around the humidor change?

Maybe the humidor did not get closed all the way -- check the area around the lid to see if some debris has gotten in the way.

It also maybe that with changes over time your humidor has developed a leak, so if all else fails you might do a leak test on the humidor itself.
UGH so frustrating. I don't know what happened, but I put the bag back in the humidor and the hygrometer is reading 60% again. I don't know what is going on? How does a leak just form?
Old 09-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
UGH so frustrating. I don't know what happened, but I put the bag back in the humidor and the hygrometer is reading 60% again. I don't know what is going on? How does a leak just form?
Seal dries up.

Wood warps.

Several potential reasons.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
You can't expect beads to instantly raise your Rh. If your smokes are at 60%, they will be fine. It may take up to a week for the beads to raise the humidity to 65%. And depending on the ambient humidity, every time you open to check the humidity may drop.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
dwoodward

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
You can't expect beads to instantly raise your Rh. If your smokes are at 60%, they will be fine. It may take up to a week for the beads to raise the humidity to 65%. And depending on the ambient humidity, every time you open to check the humidity may drop.
I have a window on top to look in.

But I mean the ambient RH just dropped like seemingly overnight...

Last night before I went to sleep tho, I moved as many cigars out of my humidor into the humidor I just seasoned, which currently is resting at a nice 69%. Of course, not all could make the trip so I still have some in my larger humidor, but I wanted to save the integrity of as many as I could while i get this problem solved.

I just checked and the RH in my larger humidor is at 61% after the night. Can I just put a bowl of water in there to speedy up the process or something?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Changing the environment (taking out a large number of cigars, for instance) will change the RH and cause stabilization to take even longer. (Just so you're aware.)

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
dwoodward

HUpmann

Meh. It's already done so nothing I can do about that now. I just want to get the RH back up.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Just trying to help.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

The key thing to remember here is patience. It can take a while (weeks) for a humidor to stabilize. It can take longer for cigars to adapt to a new environmnt (humidor) that is different from the previous environment (humidor, B&M, shipping, etc.).

The only time I have seen a cigar react quickly to a change was when I took a cigar from my 70° F, 65% RH humidor to smoke outside -- 90° F, 100% RH -- wrapper cracked just after I started smoke it. I could almost see the cigar swell...

Old 09-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Okay, its been a couple hours. I went downstairs to my humidor and looked at the bag. 65%.

So I guess that means that the beads are fine. What could cause such a huge drop in RH? My humidor doesn't leak, its been at 65% for like 2 months now. The only thing I have done recently was pull some cigars out for sevans105 and put in the cigars he gifted me.

Very Confused...

That's where I think the RH swing comes from.

You could actually do more harm than good chasing minor RH swings. I know, I've been there/done that, adding water for every 2 point decline, freaking out when the RH peaks higher than I'd like right after rehydrating.

Loading up with new cigars from vendors, I've seen the RH spike up 10 points easily. Loading them up with someone's other cigars that may be drier than those already stored will cause the RH to decline.

Give it some time for the new cigars to acclimate.

The bead setting checks out according to your test. Give them time to do their thing that they do so well.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Seal dries up.

Wood warps.

Several potential reasons.

Screws fall out....
The world is an imperfect place
Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugie View Post
Screws fall out....
The world is an imperfect place
Meh.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #18
dwoodward

HUpmann

I suppose so. I guess I am freaking out because I have a couple orders coming in this week. And with my humidor all out of wack I wont have anywhere to put them.

I guess I should just try to relax lol.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #19
XTRazzer
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
XTRazzer is on a distinguished road

It does take time for everything to stabilize. I've also noticed that many digital hygrometers have a sampling rate of one minute or more. Meaning that it won't instantly adjust to changing conditions.

I leave a small glass 'pinch bowl' in my humidor at all times. That way if the RH drops enough all I need to do is add a few drops of distilled water to the 'pinch bowl'.
XTRazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #20
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
I suppose so. I guess I am freaking out because I have a couple orders coming in this week. And with my humidor all out of wack I wont have anywhere to put them.

I guess I should just try to relax lol.
Yes, you should. Once you put those new sticks in your humidor, it will be "all out of wack" again anyway. Trust us, it will be just fine.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote