Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-29-2008, 04:25 AM   #1
dentonparrots

Default Tatuaje "Red band" Robusto cigar

This is my first ever review, so go easy on me!
I was kindly sent this cigar as part of a trade, and although I should have rested it for the optimum smoke I lit the thing within hours of arriving!
The unlit smell was lovely, very full. The appearance was impressive with a pretty smooth, dark coloured wrapper. Although the band was a little bland, we don't smoke them!

I've messed about with standard cutters and punches too, but I've came to the conclusion that punches are neater but they tend to not allow as good a draw. This is a single punched hole

But to get the best of both worlds I multi-punch the larger gauge cigars, that way I get nice neat edges but the ultimate draw..and I keep the shoulders on too! Notice the larger "nibbled" hole

Anway, on with the review. Pre-light draw was lovely, no plugged cigar here (phew, there's nothing worse).
Upon initial lighting I got the usual spices but also an earthy, dark berry type of flavour coming through.

After the first inch or so burned away the harshness dropped away, giving way to a much smoother, milder but still strong flavour.

Coffee flavours started coming through with a definite rich rum taste, and again the berry (imagine a dark forrest gataeu) with a nice even burn so far. Strong but still creamy consistent flavours coat your mouth heavily with this cigar, very full flavoured. I had the odd hint of a mint undertone coming through but it kept going away. The midway section was definitely the sweet spot for this cigar, like most Robusto's I find.

After this real enjoyment the spices started coming back in droves about 0.5" in the bottom 3rd, and really overpowered any other flavours that might have been there. The nicotine was VERY strong at this point. I do however generally find NC's to get much harsher in the bottom half compared to the CC's I've tried.

Although I wanted to get as far down as I could to give a full review, it went out by itself so at this point I decided to let it die gracefully...which was a relief if I'm honest as it was far too spicy and strong for me at this point.

Overall a very impressive NC, and I'm sure a while resting in my humi would have mellowed it out a lot and I'm certain this will become a very good cigar over time. I'd say 8.8 out of 10 if you are into stronger, fuller flavoured cigars. although a bit of age on them will make them much better I think.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tatuaje "Red band" Robusto cigar

Nice review and pics. These are one of the few NC"s I have kept and still smoke. If you want to get the clean cut, try just taking off the top cap of the cigar. Its much easier to do with cc's or other cigars that are triple capped. I use a Palio, and have had no problems.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
Gone Dave

Nice Review!! Eyeballed some of those the otherday
Old 11-29-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Excellant review and pics, some RG for you. Never heard a Tat Havana VI called creamy - but that's why i love reading reviews. If you like the Tat red and want a little less spice try a Tat Series P. I bit less spice, milder in Nic but similiar flavors. The Tat browns get even spicer than the red.

Of the few CCs I have smoked I would agree, they seem to hold the same from start to finish where as to me NCs seem to get stronger and harsher (as a rule, not all) towards the end.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #5
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Great review Carl!
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
dentonparrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Never heard a Tat Havana VI called creamy - but that's why i love reading reviews.
I suppose it's not creamy in the sense that Punch cigars are for instance but still they coat your mouth well, if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
houdini
Life is Beautiful........

Trading: (21)
Trinidad
houdini is on a distinguished road

Very nice review
Old 11-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Joan

Good job, D, on the review and pics!
Old 11-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
BHowe

Great pictures, I had a red label corona yesterday that was actually a tad plugged. Still a great cigar.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Very nice review and photos!!!

These are a favorite!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #11
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Just got gifted one of these in the Torpedo Vitola. Will let it rest a few but after readig this review, that might be tough.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
auburnfan1980

Solid review

Jason