Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #21
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: Padron 1964 Anniversary Series Torpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC View Post
This maybe a stupid question, but how is nose exhaling that important? Isn't it about taste and body?
The next time you sit down to have a good meal, hold your nose while your eating and see what a difference it makes.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:41 AM   #22
MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
The next time you sit down to have a good meal, hold your nose while your eating and see what a difference it makes.
I agree you can get more taste exhaling through the nose - but what I was responding to was a quote that said it's all about nose exhaling. I've read Daklugs sticky about different ways of smoking and I can understand this thread better now.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #23
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

IMHO, Exhaling through your nose is the only true way to taste the entire flavor profile of a cigar.

Flavor is a combination of two sensory perceptions: taste and aroma. The first part of the flavor duo of taste and aroma is perceived by the taste buds and other sensory tissues on the tongue. It is this area which perceives non-volatile stimuli such as: salt, sweet, acid (sour) and bitter. These taste buds are generally located in very specific areas on the tongue (sweet in front, salt next and along the sides, acid (sour) next and along the sides, bitter in the rear and from side to side covering the back of the tongue). However, all types of taste buds can be found located sparsely throughout the tongue's entire surface.

The olfactory (scent) receptors in the nasal passages, in contrast, are fine-tuned and discriminating. A normal person can tell the difference between 4000-10,000 smells.

I was at a cigar event where Christian Eiroa was presenting Camacho cigars. He explained and demonstrated the process as follows:

Take in a draw of smoke, hold it in your mouth for 3-5 seconds, place your tounge up on the roof of your mouth behind your top row of teeth, and exhale throuh your nose. (Note to newbies at this, make sure you don't take in too much of a draw, and also let some smoke exhale out of your mouth either before or after exhaling through the nose...and don't inhale)

By following this process, you will soon begin to be able to discern the complexities and distinct flavors of cigars.
Buena Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #24
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedoggle View Post
I find that the larger 64s, especially the maduro, get very harsh closer to the band IF they are smoked too quickly. I have to make an effort to smoke em slower, then they turn out excellent. Smoking an Exclusivo right now, as a matter of fact.
I find this to be the opposite with the 64s. It's harsher near the foot. But then again I usually smoke the smaller ones (Principes).

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #25
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

I've been meaning to get one of these, although I don't know if I could even smoke because they're almost beautiful to me.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #26
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Wow Dave!!! I never thought I would see you here!!!!

Thanks for the review!!!

BTW - May I roll around in your "wrong" drawer!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote