Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default My Father lancero

By now everybody probably knows the story behind the My Father cigars and that it was a way for Jaime Garcia to honor his father, José 'Don Pepin' Garcia. The lancero from the My Father line is a 7½x38 Nicaraguan puro with a Habano Rosado wrapper. The lancero is topped with a pigtail and the price tag of this cigar is 9 euro in The Netherlands.

The wrapper is nice, shiny, oily and dark. The construction feels a bit soft. I love the detailed band. The cigar has a mild barnyard smell. The predraw is hard and flavorless.

I taste a lot of pepper with some earthy tones and something floral. After half an inch I taste wood with herbs and pepper. The pepper isn't as strong as in the first half inch though. After a third the flavors mellow out a bit, I taste something floral with wood, herbs and pepper. A few puffs later I even taste some nuts.

Halfway I taste wood, herbs and a little bit of pepper in the aftertaste. The pepper almost disappears. Just passed the middle point of the cigar I taste wood with leather and some pepper. The leather is very mild though. The pepper returns near the end with chocolate on the background. The pepper is really strong.

This cigar lasted me for an hour and fifty minutes. The draw is a bit hard but I got a lot of thick smoke to make up for it. The burn is flawless. The ash is dark but firm. This cigar is full flavored and full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I like the vitola and I like the flavor profile.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
Old 03-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My Father lancero

Thanks for the usual great review Ferdie. I have really tried to love these... but they just don't do it for me. I'm glad you enjoyed the stick though.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

This is my favorite My Father.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Excellent cigar. Thanks for the review Ferdie.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review!!!

Best vitola for these!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
gravelman

Great review! and pics too.