Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Beer Doctor

Default Advice from Border Collie owners.

My wife, daughter, and I have been researching dogs for quite awhile now. Each breed has it's upside and downsides. At one point or another we've been enamored with Brittany Spaniels, Beagles, Jack Russells, and various other breeds. We've recently come across an ad on Craigslist. The owners purchased a second dog out of impulse and realized they couldn't give the puppy the time it needs. The puppy is a border collie mix. Apparently both parents were border collie mixes. The dog is 12 weeks old.

Is there any advice that a Border Collie owner has to one that is debating rescuing one? Any information is welcomed. TIA!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice from Border Collie owners.

Border Collies need room, and have to work. They sure ain't house dogs. Damn fine dogs at the farm, though.
If both parents of this dog are mixes, it isn't any more Border Collie than I am, really. If there's a good amount of Lab worked in there, you're going to have a whole different dog. If it's got a bunch of German Shepherd mixed in, there you're gonna have a little less strung working dog.
Best you can do is go visit the little buddy, take him home and give him a try. If he's high strung, you're not going to get it out of him. He'll bounce and run till he drops dead.
You mentioned you've been enamoured by Jack Russells, but have you ever worked with one? They're nuts, maybe even more strung than Borders.
I guess I just wanted to show you asked a big question.
Takes me right back to "Go see the little guy and try him out." That's the only real way you're going to guage "who he is". Have fun, Marcus. I'm jealous!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Beer Doctor

The most experience I have is with Jacks. My parents have two. We live in a city but near a dog park. I know that BC are shepherding dogs but do they swim? We're a block from a lake. We are near an abundance of trails but winter could be a problem. Our back yard is medium size. We're planning on meeting him tonight. Don't know if we'll be able to judge too much in a half hour but it should be fun!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Marcus, all you can really do is go see what he does, and see if you like him. The only way you'll see who he really is is to take him home and get to know him.
A person can't really say he's going to like the water or what he'll like, because he's a mixed breed and isn't necessarily likely to carry any of the breed characteristics.
In general, mixed breeds are pretty freakin cool. Lots less troubles healthwise, too.
Border Collies aren't generally considered swimming dogs, Labs and and Retrievers are. That doesn't mean he won't like the water, cause lots of Border Collies do.
Border Collies will go straight through anything when they're working, mud, water, whatever. So in general, they aren't afraid of water, but they don't necessarily care to swim.
Not to belabor the Lab point, but I've never met a Lab who wouldn't play in the water all day.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Not to belabor the Lab point, but I've never met a Lab who wouldn't play in the water all day.
Scott,
If this will add to your point, there are a few in my neighborhood that can't stop jumping in the lake behind my house.
They come out drenched and stinky but you can see the smile from cheek to cheek on them.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Scott,
If this will add to your point, there are a few in my neighborhood that can't stop jumping in the lake behind my house.
They come out drenched and stinky but you can see the smile from cheek to cheek on them.
They're damned fine at stinking, for sure.
I've been wishing I had a dog for a long time now. I miss having Labs. I'll have one or two before long, for sure.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Beer Doctor

My wife loves labs and I like them too. I'd prefer a medium size dog. If we had my wife's way we'd have a Newfie!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
They're damned fine at stinking, for sure.
I've been wishing I had a dog for a long time now. I miss having Labs. I'll have one or two before long, for sure.
Depending on the day, I have one I would sell... cheap.

Especially when she is dripping and stinky from the pond...

Okay, my wife would get cranky with me if I sent her off, but I was thinking of ya...