Old 11-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #11
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sous vide

I tried burgers for lunch yesterday (45 minutes at 124, then sear). Sear wasn't the best and I thought they were maybe a little overcooked, but not bad overall. I also didn't season them as heavily as I usually do. Will try again and am once again reminded that I should grind my own meat.

Then did NY strips for dinner and artichokes for appetizers. After over an hour at 183 (recommendation I found online), the artichokes weren't even close to being ready, so those were kind of a fail. The strips, though, were delicious. 126.5 for 50 minutes and then got a good cast iron sear on them. Again felt like they could have been cooked to just a slightly lower temperature, though.

I also tried some carrots with butter, garlic, and brown sugar. 184 for an hour and then finished for a couple minutes over high heat in their juices. I didn't think much about them, but my wife really liked them, so that's something.

I'm definitely digging this thing, but there's just so much to experiment with and learn--it's a fun process.