Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-29-2011, 04:55 AM   #2681
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Red's Fans Check in

I too love Jeff Brantley. He is absolutely hillarious with his stories, but is also very smart about baseball. Andy, I agree that he has tremendous baseball knowledge. I think he would be a great pitching coach.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:05 AM   #2682
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I believe in being passionate about your teams....for me, that means the Blackhawks (NHL) over most, but I also have love for my MLB, NFL and college FB teams. But being a passionate fan doesn't mean being blind....if you can't be objective about your team, your opinions will likely be irrelevant in a frank discussion about same. Thanks for indulging me here even though the Reds aren't my team.
Its fun having you in here, as we often stall on conversations in this one... Seriously, its been fun reading the back and forth of opinions on the state of the Reds and the NL Central in general, and I'm sure glad you stuck around!
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #2683
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I too love Jeff Brantley. He is absolutely hillarious with his stories, but is also very smart about baseball. Andy, I agree that he has tremendous baseball knowledge. I think he would be a great pitching coach.
Jeff Brantley does have a vast baseball knowledge, but with zero coaching skills built (i.e. he's never coached, and doesn't seem to have the drive to) he would be a HORRENDOUS coach. "Yer not doing it right, watch its like this"... rather than this is what you're doing wrong and lets try this to correct it. You have to know how to correct issues before you can be a good coach and if Brantley were a coach, he'd have to start in a lower area than the Bigs. The only reason McGwire does well as a coach is because towards the end of his career, he stood at the cages as the young guys took bp and worked with them... he took steps to be a batting coach while he was still a player.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #2684
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I believe in being passionate about your teams....for me, that means the Blackhawks (NHL) over most, but I also have love for my MLB, NFL and college FB teams. But being a passionate fan doesn't mean being blind....if you can't be objective about your team, your opinions will likely be irrelevant in a frank discussion about same. Thanks for indulging me here even though the Reds aren't my team.
This.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #2685
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle View Post
Jeff Brantley does have a vast baseball knowledge, but with zero coaching skills built (i.e. he's never coached, and doesn't seem to have the drive to) he would be a HORRENDOUS coach. "Yer not doing it right, watch its like this"... rather than this is what you're doing wrong and lets try this to correct it. You have to know how to correct issues before you can be a good coach and if Brantley were a coach, he'd have to start in a lower area than the Bigs. The only reason McGwire does well as a coach is because towards the end of his career, he stood at the cages as the young guys took bp and worked with them... he took steps to be a batting coach while he was still a player.
That's the way he says it in the booth. I'm sure he knows that coaching has to have a different approach.
But like you said, he has no interest in coaching. Still, I'd love it though.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #2686
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
That's the way he says it in the booth. I'm sure he knows that coaching has to have a different approach.
True, but honestly, I believe that's his normal personality, and its AWESOME on the radio, it would suck as a coach I think that's why he's where he's at and I love him paired up with Marty.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #2687
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Good announcers don't always translate into sports minds or coaches or vice-versa. See: Matt Millen, announcer hired as a GM. Barry Melrose's last stint in the NHL, coach turned announcer, turned coach. Quinn Buckner a terrible failure in the NBA after being hired out of the booth.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #2688
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

If he were the pitching coach, all our pitchers would have pot-bellies due to all the all you can eat rib fests that he would hold. Ribs and ice cream at Cowboy's house after every home game!

Insert quote here.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #2689
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Good announcers don't always translate into sports minds or coaches or vice-versa. See: Matt Millen, announcer hired as a GM. Barry Melrose's last stint in the NHL, coach turned announcer, turned coach. Quinn Buckner a terrible failure in the NBA after being hired out of the booth.
Could you get the word out to all the clowns in Cincy who want to see Joe Morgan become the next manager?

Insert quote here.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #2690
waffle

Quote:
Could you get the word out to all the clowns in Cincy who want to see Joe Morgan become the next manager?
You ever heard of FireJoeMorgan.com? or FJM... they used to mercilessly destroy his articles and stories... they were amazing!

And no, I DON'T want Joe Morgan as my next manager... how about we get someone that has proven they actually know what the F*$# they're doing rather than some dude you want to have nostalgic buttsex with....
Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #2691
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle View Post
You ever heard of FireJoeMorgan.com? or FJM... they used to mercilessly destroy his articles and stories... they were amazing!

And no, I DON'T want Joe Morgan as my next manager... how about we get someone that has proven they actually know what the F*$# they're doing rather than some dude you want to have nostalgic buttsex with....

I've heard of the site, but never checked it out. I thought it was just to get him and Jon Miller off the air from Sunday Night Baseball.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #2692
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Thankfully the Phillies were in town so they didn't get blacked out. I still can't believe that the score keeper in Cincinnati is so bad. Ruled Phillips hit a 'Triple'. I have never seen more balls that are off of outfielder gloves been ruled hits than in Cincinnati.

Quote:
Joe Morgan is a Red, Reds or Die!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #2693
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Phillies caught stealing signs. Bastrads! Good job by Hanigan to catch it, but he should've told Bailey to put the ball in someone's ear.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #2694
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Phillies caught stealing signs. Bastrads! Good job by Hanigan to catch it, but he should've told Bailey to put the ball in someone's ear.
I would hardly call that stealing signals. He took a step inside and coincidentally (maybe not) that is where Hannigan set up. Hannigan set up inside the next pitch and he didn't take the step.

It might be a little bush league, but it happens at every level of baseball. Hell, little leaguers point to where the catcher sets up. In the end knowing where the pitcher is set up helps you about as much as a corked bat, you still have to hit the ball.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #2695
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Joe Morgan will never manage the Reds. Why would he trade in what he has now to live in hotels and be on the road all the time. I think he is staying put
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:32 AM   #2696
waffle

Quote:
I would hardly call that stealing signals. He took a step inside and coincidentally (maybe not) that is where Hannigan set up. Hannigan set up inside the next pitch and he didn't take the step.

It might be a little bush league, but it happens at every level of baseball. Hell, little leaguers point to where the catcher sets up. In the end knowing where the pitcher is set up helps you about as much as a corked bat, you still have to hit the ball.
I'm not sure they were stealing signs either, but whether or not it was coincidental.... all i know is...

Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #2697
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Joe Morgan will never manage the Reds. Why would he trade in what he has now to live in hotels and be on the road all the time. I think he is staying put
A one hour sports radio show on Sports USA Radio Network? Does anyone even know who carries the show? Yeah, I wouldn't trade that in either. Frankly, he is a bad sports announcer/analyst/broadcater/journalist, any job he can hold is worth hanging on to I suppose.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #2698
waffle

Quote:
A one hour sports radio show on Sports USA Radio Network? Does anyone even know who carries the show? Yeah, I wouldn't trade that in either. Frankly, he is a bad sports announcer/analyst/broadcater/journalist, any job he can hold is worth hanging on to I suppose.
Wait a minute... he also now owns a car dealership in Lebanon, OH on SR 63... because when I go car shopping, I drive an hour to check one out
Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #2699
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Bad broadcaster? I don't think that's really fair, Adam. I thought he always did an excellent job of explaining how great Joe Morgan was.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #2700
waffle

Quote:
Bad broadcaster? I don't think that's really fair, Adam. I thought he always did an excellent job of explaining how great Joe Morgan was.
Tru.... Joe Morgan, Broadcaster, thinks Joe Morgan, Player, should be considered for the Hall of Fame... hell, if he got a vote, I'm sure he'd vote for him every year! Joe Morgan - the best player in baseball's history, just ask him!