Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Samsung Omnia i910

Does anyone have this phone? If so, what carrier (Not sure if Verizon is the only one)? And, would you recommend it? The specs look so good, but I value the opinions of the folks here and will take that into consideration.

I am a current Verizon customer and I can get the promo pricing which brings the cost down to $99. My current phone is 3 years old and starting to flake out. The speaker works only when it wants to. Anyway, if I do buy it, this will be my first smart phone, first Windows Mobile device, first touch screen phone, etc. I have tried and do not like BlackBerrys. I also want a good camera. This one has a 5MP camera plus another one on the front so you can do webcam style chat.

More info: I also would like to use Active-Synch so I can get my Exchange e-mail from work, and I already have an unlimited data plan so there will be no additional cost there.

I do have some concerns with the touch screen qwerty keyboard. My fingers aren't exactly small. I wear a size 12 wedding ring.

Here's a link to the specs on Verizon's site.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...ompletedOrder=

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by 357; 03-06-2009 at 11:24 AM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Samsung Omnia i910

My cousin actually just got it last week. Its a really really really cool phone and it almost like a black berry. It has alot of windows apps, opera browser, uber fast internet (I think you need to sign up for the internet just to use the phone) and somethin like a 5.3mp camera. The only thing I dont like is it takes a bit to get used to the interface. I have the LG dare and love the touch screen and after playing with the Omnia I kinda want one lol. I think the only carrier for now is verizon and I suggest playing with it alot before making the decision.

edit:My fingers arent the smallest either, Im not sure about the keyboards but the dare has 2 options. One keyboard for when its in the vertical mode and is like a regular phone and when u turn it horizontal it goes to a qwerty keyboard and I can use both fine. The qwerty is just more a pain to use so I only use it when Im on the internet
Old 03-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Stogeyfish
Barney's Life Matters

First Name: Donald
Trading: (2)
Stogeyfish will become famous soon enough

Got one a couple of weeks ago. My first smart phone - so I'm getting used to it. It's working a lot better than my Razr.

It comes with a couple of browsers (Opera and IE) and works pretty fast. Still getting used to the small typing space, even when in landscape mode.

One downside is there are a limited number of downloadable ringtones.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 View Post
My cousin actually just got it last week. Its a really really really cool phone and it almost like a black berry. It has alot of windows apps, opera browser, uber fast internet (I think you need to sign up for the internet just to use the phone) and somethin like a 5.3mp camera. The only thing I dont like is it takes a bit to get used to the interface. I have the LG dare and love the touch screen and after playing with the Omnia I kinda want one lol. I think the only carrier for now is verizon and I suggest playing with it alot before making the decision.

edit:My fingers arent the smallest either, Im not sure about the keyboards but the dare has 2 options. One keyboard for when its in the vertical mode and is like a regular phone and when u turn it horizontal it goes to a qwerty keyboard and I can use both fine. The qwerty is just more a pain to use so I only use it when Im on the internet

This is good news. My wife has an LG Dare and I like it, but it's not Windows Mobile, and it doesn't support Active Synch. I like the LG Dare for it's feel and function. I love it's 3.2 MP camera, and that's one thing that caught my eye about the Omnia. Most other smart phones only have a 2MP camera.

I'm glad to hear it's fast. That was one concern since it has a little less RAM then some of the others. I hear it's CPU is pretty stout though.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogeyfish View Post
Got one a couple of weeks ago. My first smart phone - so I'm getting used to it. It's working a lot better than my Razr.

It comes with a couple of browsers (Opera and IE) and works pretty fast. Still getting used to the small typing space, even when in landscape mode.

One downside is there are a limited number of downloadable ringtones.
My current phone is a Razr V3m. I believe you can jam a 16GB micro SD card into the Omnia. I'm not sure if you can load it up with mp3s and then use them as ringtones or not. That's one nice thing about the V3m, it's easy to hack so you can upload your own mp3 ringtones.

Thanks for chiming in. Keep me posted as you get more familiar with it.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Will herf for food

VR

Bump...
Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

here is a review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-33399472.html
Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
Will herf for food

VR

Thanks Jim. I read the entire thing. Pretty informative.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

no problem, I don't know much about the omnia...but cnet is generally pretty reliable to turn to for reviews.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Will herf for food

VR

Well, I get paid tomorrow and my current phone is getting worse. 60-75% of the time the phone speaker doesn't work and I can't hear who I'm talking about. So, unless I hate the look and feel of it, I'm probably going to be picking one of these up tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

check out phonescoop.com they usally have good user reviews
skullnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Will herf for food

VR

I picked it up today on lunch. I'll post my opinon as I learn.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #13
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Please let us know what you think. Like I mentioned in the other thread on this phone I am debating whether to get this phone now or wait for the new Blackberry which is supposed to be out sometime Quarter 1 and will pretty much be a smaller version of the Bold. On the phone forums it is known as the Niagra. Good news is Verizon employees that I spke with are no longer acting like they never heard of it. Looking forward to your feedback. The one thing that kind of makes me leary of this phone is the Windows Mobile but than again I am judging it on the old @ss phones at work which have to be 3 years old by now so it's probably not a fair judgment.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 AM   #14
Jason
the thing under the thing

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Jason will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Please let us know what you think.
I too am looking forward to seeing what you have to say after a weekend of using the phone... how's it going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
The one thing that kind of makes me leary of this phone is the Windows Mobile but than again I am judging it on the old @ss phones at work which have to be 3 years old by now so it's probably not a fair judgment.
WinMobile hasn't changed a lot in the last 3 years. Not sure what you have a problem with but SPB Software makes some great shells and extensions that help a great deal with interface issues
http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/mobileshell/
http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/pock...re/pocketplus/
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
Will herf for food

VR

So far I'm am impressed. I love the way I can choose different front-ends, or interfaces. The default was called Samsung Widget. I turned that off and switched to Samsung Today and I like that better. I've read on HowardForums.com that you can install the HTC interface, or even one that mimics the iPhone. I'm happy with it now, but I will be playing around with it a bit.

Tranfering files to and from has been a snap. Active-Synch works great. I get alerted and receive all my work e-mail (exchange) and I can add my yahoo/g-mail accounts too, although I haven't yet. I also haven't used the FM tuner feature yet. The camera works well too. Browsing the internet, texting, and sending e-mail is easy. I occasionally press the wrong letter on the touch screen qwerty keyboard. I have fat fingers, literally, but the more I use it the better I get at it.

I bought some accessories online but haven't gotten them yet. I bought a silicone case and screen protector cover for $8. I also ordered a wall charger, car charger, and data cable for $8. Both orders were aftermarket from eBay. I then ordered a Kingston 16GB microSDHC card for $52 and it came with a USB microSD reader.

Cons: The apps don't close when you click the "X" in the top right corner. I have to end-task them in Task Manager. The only other one is that VZAppZone doesn't list my model phone yet so I'm not sure if I download their apps that they will work on my phone.

I've read there is a fix for the issue with having to end-task your apps. I think it's a registry tweak. Basically turning a 0 into a 1 at a certain location.

I'll post more when I can.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #16
Jason

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Cons: The apps don't close when you click the "X" in the top right corner.
I'll post more when I can.
The links I posted above will address deficiencies of the winmobile interface, pocket plus specifically handles the app closing and switching issues beautifully.

I would love to see a photo, not necessarily a 5mb shot but something to demonstrate color and clarity if you can swing it.

Thanks man!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
ChicagoWhiteSox

You might want to check out this phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWjjj0iPPZQ
Old 03-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #18
Will herf for food

VR

Here's a pic I took of my son. It will probably by downsized from the full 5mp by Photobucket.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #19
Jason

Bolivar

I appreciate the help Mr 357. I got mine today and am absolutely happy with it. I had a windows 6.1 touchscreen with full keyboard (HTC) but need a camera that didn't suck and ended up going for this phone.

It's blowing me away with the performance and openness all around and I haven't even gone tweakin at it yet. The ROM is built with a sh8load of software I wish I could remove and the Samsung home screen stuff is not that useful, it will be tweaked.

One thing I've found of note, I moved a divX movie over to the phone via Windows Media player sync funtion. It converted it to lawd noes wot but it was 1/4 or 1/3 the file size, nasty dithering though. I went immediately to the file browser and drag/dropped the full divX DVD rip onto the phone and was much happier with the product, this will make a HUGE difference when running tv out to my wall mounted flatscreen with it (nothing but a satelite coax through the wall to that tv, nice little side benefit of this phone!).

good lookin kid there!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #20
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I appreciate the help Mr 357. I got mine today and am absolutely happy with it. I had a windows 6.1 touchscreen with full keyboard (HTC) but need a camera that didn't suck and ended up going for this phone.

It's blowing me away with the performance and openness all around and I haven't even gone tweakin at it yet. The ROM is built with a sh8load of software I wish I could remove and the Samsung home screen stuff is not that useful, it will be tweaked.

One thing I've found of note, I moved a divX movie over to the phone via Windows Media player sync funtion. It converted it to lawd noes wot but it was 1/4 or 1/3 the file size, nasty dithering though. I went immediately to the file browser and drag/dropped the full divX DVD rip onto the phone and was much happier with the product, this will make a HUGE difference when running tv out to my wall mounted flatscreen with it (nothing but a satelite coax through the wall to that tv, nice little side benefit of this phone!).

good lookin kid there!

I have done quite a bit of tweaking myself. I have not installed any new interfaces other than the Samsung Today 2 which only had to be enabled via registry entries. I use the Samsung Today (non-2). I'm happy with it so far, but may get the itch to install HTC's TouchFlo 2D. I will throw some useful tweaking links up for you. I'm not sure how savvy you are, but I'm a windows server guy. So, I'm very comfortable modifying windows and the registry. I've registered with HowardForums.com and Madoco.com. That plus the links below will allow you to download all the files you need.

Please let me know what kind of cable you have/made to do the TV out.

Please let me know if you find any cool new tweaks or need help with any. I've done a dozen or so, so I might have done the one you're looking at already.

This is a good condensed list of common tweaks found on other threads. It's specific to the i910.
http://knguyentu.com/wordpress/2009/...900-unleashed/

This is a huge list for both i900 and i910. Be careful as there are quite a few that are for the i900 that will not work on your i910.
http://www.samsung-omnia.org/how-to/...5635/#msg15635

Slide 2 Unlock version 2. This is an app that allows unlocking your phone similar to the iPhone. It seems to have some issues still, but tons of people us it. I haven't installed it yet. Not sure if I will.
http://www.ac-s2.com/

Free software download sites. Many of the .cab files you need can be downloaded at these two sites for free. No warez, just freeware.
http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/

http://www.1800pocketpc.com/

Howard Forums - i910 Hacks/Tips/Tricks
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1467787

Modaco - i900/i910 Thread
http://www.modaco.com/category/342/i...ia-modaco-com/

Samsung-Omnia.org - i900/i910 Thread
http://www.samsung-omnia.org/how-to/...5635/#msg15635

Another excellent forum I use to find more tweak info:
http://www.xda-developers.com/

Have fun,
Mike