Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #81
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Port Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Gould Campbell is a good name in port. I would expect to be decent at a minimum. Let the bottle breathe for 4-6 hours after decanting through cheesecloth.

Please report back with your tasting impressions!
Thanks and will do!!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #82
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sailor View Post
Taylor 10 & 20yr ....20 a little harder to find here, but well worth it.
Grahams 10yr
Fonseca White
Six Grapes
Resurrecting a helpful thread. Appreciate all of the recommendations.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #83
ChicagoWhiteSox

How was the 94 vintage for Dow? Im looking for a nice bottle of port and 94 seems to get a lot of attention. 1977 was the other vintage I was looking at as well.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #84
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I been drinking port for a few month's now and have something to confess. I have been driking the cheap ones you can buy at walmart, and ABC. i like it though so i guess thats all that matters. One of the brands is Taylor (but i dont think it's the same Taylor as referred to here) and the other is Fairbanks.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #85
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
How was the 94 vintage for Dow? Im looking for a nice bottle of port and 94 seems to get a lot of attention. 1977 was the other vintage I was looking at as well.
IIRC, '94 was a great vintage for all, I don't think you can go wrong.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #86
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
1994 Dow is one of the best of the vintage. Approachable already and quite awesome. Fat and lucious for a Dow. I had a bottle about 4 months go. I would go for the 1994 Dow over 1977 as the '77 has had a lot of bottle variance. I have had the '77 Dow at least 15 times and few weren't so hot. 1994 is less expensive too.

Not saying to stay away from '77 Dow, just bringing what could be an issue to your attention.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #87
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
I been drinking port for a few month's now and have something to confess. I have been driking the cheap ones you can buy at walmart, and ABC. i like it though so i guess thats all that matters. One of the brands is Taylor (but i dont think it's the same Taylor as referred to here) and the other is Fairbanks.
Taylor USA and Fairbanks, you're a high roller Everything OK? Do we need a fundraiser for you? Just kidding. My girlfriend's mom drinks that "Taylor".

My tip is to buy port from Portugal.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #88
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
1994 Dow is one of the best of the vintage. Approachable already and quite awesome. Fat and lucious for a Dow. I had a bottle about 4 months go. I would go for the 1994 Dow over 1977 as the '77 has had a lot of bottle variance. I have had the '77 Dow at least 15 times and few weren't so hot. 1994 is less expensive too.

Not saying to stay away from '77 Dow, just bringing what could be an issue to your attention.

1994 was an epic year for port. Weather was perfect. Maybe Ill get a 1994 Dow and maybe a Warre from the same vintage. Both 94's maybe be close to the same price as one bottle of 77' Dow.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #89
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Taylor USA and Fairbanks, you're a high roller Everything OK? Do we need a fundraiser for you? Just kidding. My girlfriend's mom drinks that "Taylor".

My tip is to buy port from Portugal.
Tastes good to me bro.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #90
ChicagoWhiteSox

Offley Forrester 1977 could be a play. About $40 less than Dow. Ever have this Moses?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #91
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
1994 was an epic year for port. Weather was perfect. Maybe Ill get a 1994 Dow and maybe a Warre from the same vintage. Both 94's maybe be close to the same price as one bottle of 77' Dow.
I have a case of '94 Warre and it's typical Warre style; elegant and subtle. I would wait longer to drink the Warre if possible. My friend had a case of the '94 Warre and we drank through it last summer. Warre will need two days decanting to really shine.

Quote:
Offley Forrester 1977 could be a play. About $40 less than Dow. Ever have this Moses?.
Not sure if I have had their '77, but probably. I know I have had '70 and '27 off the top of my head; both were decent. If it's $40 less than the Dow, I would buy it for sure (depends on what your were paying for the Dow).

Do you mind stating what the actual price you are buying it for and I can give you better opinion? Offley is a sleeper brand that has never had much penetration in the US.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #92
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
I have a case of '94 Warre and it's typical Warre style; elegant and subtle. I would wait longer to drink the Warre if possible. My friend had a case of the '94 Warre and we drank through it last summer. Warre will need two days decanting to really shine.

Not sure if I have had their '77, but probably. I know I have had '70 and '27 off the top of my head; both were decent. If it's $40 less than the Dow, I would buy it for sure (depends on what your were paying for the Dow).

Do you mind stating what the actual price you are buying it for and I can give you better opinion? Offley is a sleeper brand that has never had much penetration in the US.
Dow 1977 is $120 and the 77 Offley is $85. Do these seem to be reasonable prices?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #93
ChicagoWhiteSox

Some other offerings from Offley I've seen around are 85' and 94' vintages. Both are about 60 bucks.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #94
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Dow 1977 is $120 and the 77 Offley is $85. Do these seem to be reasonable prices?
I would not pay that for the Dow, kind of borderline on the Offley. I've bought '77 Dow for $70 at auction, for instance.

Quote:
Some other offerings from Offley I've seen around are 85' and 94' vintages. Both are about 60 bucks.
Both vintages are going to be little hot on the alcohol, but the '85 is OK. The Warre & Dow '94 are the two best mentioned on this page.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #95
KDKLOSS
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Active)
KDKLOSS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir13 View Post
What ports have you drank that you have enjoyed and where did you find em.

Just wanting to make a thread to see how many of my fellow BOTL enjoy Port.

I just had a bottle of Taylor Fladgate 10 Year and cant wait to try and find another bottle locally, it was extremely good to me.

Another recent port i had was the Sandeman's Founders Reserve, was very smooth and i already got another bottle.
The Sandeman's Founders Reserve is one of my favorites as well.
KDKLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #96
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKLOSS View Post
The Sandeman's Founders Reserve is one of my favorites as well.
Sandeman's 20 year tawny is one of the best out there. Not sure if I have ever had the Founders Reserve? Is that the one in the frosted glass?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #97
M.D.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir13 View Post
What ports have you drank that you have enjoyed and where did you find em.

Just wanting to make a thread to see how many of my fellow BOTL enjoy Port.

I just had a bottle of Taylor Fladgate 10 Year and cant wait to try and find another bottle locally, it was extremely good to me.

Another recent port i had was the Sandeman's Founders Reserve, was very smooth and i already got another bottle.

Glad to see there's a port thread here!

TF 10 year is my go-to Tawny port. I've had most of the other brands and nothing comes close IMO.

Though I like tawny, I'm a huge fan of vintage port. And the recession has made a lot of bottles at auction a lot more reasonable. I've been able to get my hands on 1977 Taylor Fladgate, 1977 Fonseca, 1985 Fonseca, and a few others. The 77 Fonseca is by far the best beverage I've ever tasted.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #98
M.D.M.

Quote:
I've got 3 bottles of '94 dow in the basement...it is a HUGE wine. I'm planning on waiting another 4 years before I open the first bottle. I haven't had the 77 Dow, but if it's anything like others from the vintage, you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #99
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D.M. View Post
I've got 3 bottles of '94 dow in the basement...it is a HUGE wine. I'm planning on waiting another 4 years before I open the first bottle. I haven't had the 77 Dow, but if it's anything like others from the vintage, you won't be disappointed.
Have you had the '94 Dow before? It can be opened now, or later. Normally I would not suggest opening such a young vintage, but I bottle of '94 was given to me to see that it is possible to enjoy this vintage now.

1977 Dow can be winner but there is a lot of bottle variation and I would suggest to stay away unless you buying such bottles is not an expense. I have had TCA in the '77 Dow a few times. I would suggest 1963 or 1970 Dow over the 1977 any day. If you like a drier vintage with seemingly endless aging potential, go for the 1985 Dow. 1980 & 1983 Dow's are sleepers than be be had for short money. I had an '83 Dow last night actually...
Old 03-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #100
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D.M. View Post
Glad to see there's a port thread here!

Though I like tawny, I'm a huge fan of vintage port. And the recession has made a lot of bottles at auction a lot more reasonable. I've been able to get my hands on 1977 Taylor Fladgate, 1977 Fonseca, 1985 Fonseca, and a few others. The 77 Fonseca is by far the best beverage I've ever tasted.
I have found auction prices for port to have risen a lot over the last 2 years.

Just about every vintage of Fonseca (or Taylor) is outstanding. Fonseca is a port that does declines at a snail's pace. It may not be as vibrant as Taylor, yet just keeps ticking away. I love the 1935, 1948,1955, 1963, 1970... Actually the only one most ever think twice on is 1983 and that is still solid if bought well.