Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

First Name: Michael
Trading: (3)
Punch Army (Retired)
michael88n is on a distinguished road
Default Indian Tabac Super Fuerte

I won't go in to the long and laborious rise of Rocky Patel and the impact he's had on the cigar industry. That's someone else's job. I wanted to explore the start of Patel's cigar journey with the Super Fuerte. Hell, I don't even know what "fuerte" means. Okay. I did a Google search and found out that it means "fort" or "strength". That makes sense considering this is supposed to be a medium to full flavored cigar.

I received a bundle of Super Fs (I'm not going to spell it out any more) as a freebie for ordering some other stuff. I was pretty excited because (1) I've not had one of these before and (2) there are a lot of rabid Super F lovers out there that still swear that these are the best cigars that RP has made. Not that he shouldn't have moved on, just that these are still the best.

So these Super Fs have been in my 'dor for two days now. And I have plans that one lucky little guy is going up in smoke after work today. However, my boss had a two hour meeting after lunch, so I took that as a sign to go outside and enjoy the nice day with my Super F. So I grabbed my coffee and I left my coworkers to enjoy the fluorescent lights for a while. What a great day. It's sunny and in the mid-40s. The snow is melting and I can actually hear some birds singing.

The first appearance of the Super F is pretty good. Dark brown maduro wrapper, firm in the hand, and I love the box-pressed shape. It has a few veins in the wrapper, but you have to look for them. Damn, it looks like a candy bar. It smells great. A little spicy and woody. Not like chopped wood, but the way the woods smell when you walk through the trees.

Snip... A clean cut. Pre-light draw is good and clean. I toast the foot and start to get that dark gray ash. It lights like a champ. The first few puffs produce gobs of dark blue-gray smoke. And you know I like the smoke. The first third of the 'gar is smooth with a medium body. It's good. At one inch, the ash falls on my shirt. Crap. I hate that. It was so pretty too. Gray-black with a few flakes.

The second third brings on a little spice and the chocolate flavor comes around. My lips are tingling a bit and the strength picks up. This is definitely what I remember hearing others talk about. It burns evenly, no need to relight or touch it up at all. I'm more careful with the ash now. The construction of the 'gar is solid, but the ash is not as firm as a Punch or a Padilla. The thick smoke swirls around me and hangs in the air with each exhale - until the barely imperceptible breezes pushes it aside.

The final third stays solid (but I wouldn't call it strong), and the tobacco/chocolate flavor and spice are still coming. I smoke it to the nub and I'm glad it ended when it did. I would have liked to have had more, but I've been outside for almost 55 minutes. This robusto is a great one-hour killer. The coffee really complimented the chocolaty goodness.

My overall impression of this smoke is very good. One thing that I liked about this smoke is that you never forgot you were smoking a cigar. There was none of the fancy-schmancy butter/nutty/toasty/whatever flavors that I occasionally enjoy with other cigars. Don't get me wrong, I like those flavors as well, but this smoke reminded me that a cigar is still (when you get down to brass tacks) good ol' tobacco.

I imagine that these fellows will get better and better as they nap in my 'dor. I think these Super F fanatics might be on to something. Spring is coming and I look forward to more afternoon outings with these smokes. I've just gotta keep my boss out of the office.

I'd like to think of something witty to say in order to wrap this up, but I'm drawing a big blank. How about a movie quote? "We were raised by television to believe that we'd be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars - but we won't."

Cheers,
Michael

And that is my second review.
michael88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
totallytentative

Default Re: Indian Tabac Super Fuerte

So this is for the Super Fuerte Maduro?

Great review, thanks!
Old 02-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

Punch Army (Retired)

TT,
Dang. I did forget to mention that didn't I?

I would fix it, but I don't know how. There's no "edit" button on my original post.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 02-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

First Name: Bob
Trading: (37)
Boobar is on a distinguished road

Have tried both the Super Fuerte naturals and the Super Fuerte maduros and I much prefer the maduros. I try to keep a few of these around at all times.

Thanks for the review.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

The SF Maduro is one of my regulars. I love this smoke.
Nice review!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Nice review. It's funny how different people's tastes are as I find these virtually unsmokeable. But I'm sure many people feel the same way about some of my favorites.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Good inexpensive smoke. great review
Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

Punch Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
Nice review. It's funny how different people's tastes are as I find these virtually unsmokeable. But I'm sure many people feel the same way about some of my favorites.
Ratters,
Isn't it funny like that?

Of course no two people taste the same. But the fact that you personally don't like these, yet you took the time to read the review and leave a note, means you're a bit more open minded and recognize that we all have different tastes.

Thanks for that.
Cheers,
Michael
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Very nice review!!!

I happen to like these a lot!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
TheManWithNoName

I got one of these Super Fuerte Maduros in a sampler pack, and it had a nice rest in my 'dor because frankly, I'm more of a medium fan and the name and dark wrapper put me off. However, I had it the other day and was impressed by it. It was much better than I expected and I would buy them again. I think you described it pretty well, and I also smoked it to the nub. My friend who was working on a 5 Vegas Miami had a puff and commented that he liked it as well.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah, the El Mejor Espresso for instance.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
SixPackSunday

just traded for most of a bundle of these and cant wait to try one.

thanks for the review!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I really liked the SF Natural, but the Maduro was a let down, and I am a big maduro fan.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #14
NickyTeen
My barn door is open

First Name: Kriss
Trading: (12)
Partagas
NickyTeen will become famous soon enoughNickyTeen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
NickyTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by groogs View Post
Yeah, the El Mejor Espresso for instance.
Funny thing, I was thinking of that cigar when I wrote it.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #16
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Me too bro. Me too. I smoked two 5'ers of different sizes of them because I wanted to like them... and I just don't.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName View Post
My friend who was working on a 5 Vegas Miami had a puff and commented that he liked it as well.
Indeed sir, it was a nice smoke
Old 07-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #18
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

ITSF's are GREAT!!!! both the Maddy's and the Natural's. In fact I had a natural last night that was kicking around for about 3 years! Cinnomany, earthy, oaky delight. Burned perectly too. I paired it with a Pommagranin Wheat bear. Gets an A and an A+ if you factor in the cost!
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote