Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default La Aroma De Cuba Edicion Especial No. 3

Smoke Date: 7/25/09

Cigar Specs:

Length: 6.0
Ring Gauge: 50

Wrapper: Ecuador
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Body: Medium
Strength: Medium
Price: $6.00

Pre-Light:

Construction is near flawless with only one leaf vein visible. However when removing the band the wrapper was ripped and extra care had to be taken to correct that mistake. After cutting the draw is perfect with no appearance of being plugged and subtle hints of a nutty cedar like aroma. The cigar lit very easily and the burn was near perfect (see below) but never required retouching.

First Third:

A wonderful sweet woodsy flavor dominates the first third of the cigar. As I smoked it I noticed a wonderful aroma emanating from the head of the cigar. This smell was so pleasant I was repeatedly sniffing the head of the cigar over and over. Even though the cigar is made by Pepin for Ashton the classic Pepin pepper taste is absent but not at all missed in the various complex flavors present. The smoke is voluminous but not overwhelming with a silky texture. The draw is even and concise. After about half inch of ash I notice the ash is leaning about to fall off. A very gently tap verifies that the ash is loose as it falls into the stinky.

Second Third:

The cigar presents a cedar or coffee influenced character still reminiscent of the woodsy flavor in the first third of the cigar. The head of the cigar continues to emit a sweet nutty aroma that is quite intriguing. The smoke continues with the previous texture and the draw remains the same. As a result of the loose ash in the first third the cigar is burning slightly unbalanced but appears to be correcting itself quite nicely.

Last Third:
The cigar remains largely the same but towards the last part I was required to slow down my smoking considerably to keep from burning my tongue. Cedar notes dominate the last third of the cigar and I finally nub out the cigar after almost two hours. The cigar has corrected for the uneven burn completely and burns quite well.

Overall Impression:
I love this cigar. A few minor construction issues prevent this cigar from being legendary. The flavor profile could be a bit more complex but at this price it is an outstanding smoke. I can easily see why it was rated a 94 by the other CA.

- Jason

Overall Rating – 4/ 5 Stars
Overall Rating factoring its price – 5/5 stars
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation
Default Re: La Aroma De Cuba Edicion Especial No. 3

Great review! I'll be trying these ASAP!

MCS
Old 07-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
scooter

Thanks for the great review.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
darkninja67

Great review Jason. I think we should do a box split of these....... oh wait.......

I may fire one up today, a very good cigar.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I agree with the review with the exception that I would rate at a 5/5. This cigar is at the top of my current favorites list and I expect it to remain in the top five for a long time.

Smoking a #2 at the moment and have another for later this afternoon. The #5's are my first choice as torp's are my preference.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Waynegro1

Great review and I couldn't agree more, this is a great stogie. DPG and Ashton hit a home run with these!!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegro1 View Post
Great review and I couldn't agree more, this is a great stogie. DPG and Ashton hit a home run with these!!

I really enjoy the robusto(no. 2) and the long corona gorda (no. 1).
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review, thanks.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

Nice review. I'm a big fan of these If you haven't tried the Minuto (PC) of this line you really need to give it a shot.
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

I love these too. The smaller ring guages have a little more pepper IMO (which I ilke).
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote