Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Padron 3000 Maduro

Cigar: Padron 3000 Maduro
Wrapper: Nicarguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Vitola: 5.5x52
Price: $7.99 at the local B&M

Setting: Garage, about 45 degrees out, sitting next to a larger propane heater, drinking Snapple, about 7:30pm.

Pre-light: Man, this is an ugly cigar. It's lumpy and veiny with a couple significant soft spots and a small hole in the wrapper. It does have a slight box press to it. The wrapper is a nice, oily, toothy chocolate brown, on the light side for a maduro, but that's kinda nice not having to wonder if it was dyed. The wrapper has a pleasant sweet tobacco taste, which also comes from the foot a bit more intensely. I cut the cap using the patented Cranial Screw Top method, but there was a divot under the cap and binder folded over as well so I re-snipped with the Palio in a conventional fashion.

First Third: The cigar lit up easily, the first few puffs producing decent smoke. The initial flavors were of that lightly spicy Nicaraguan flavor, along with a slight sweetness, and a taste of char. The finish really left a dry feeling on the tongue. Body is on the full side of medium. There is a spice that lingers on the tongue, but it kind of irritates with the dryness. The draw and burn are both very nice so far.

Second Third: As I get into the second third the char and dryness on the finish start to go away. Body is still in the medium to full range. As the char flavor went away some more subtle flavors were able to come through, especially the sweetness and a bit of espresso. There is a slight bitterness too, haven't figured out whether it bothers me yet. The dryness has started to come back about the midway point.

Final Third: The ash was holding nice a bit over an inch till it dropped in my lap. The flavors have stayed pretty consistent. The dryness has been consistent as well, as the bitterness, even after trying to purge. But the burn and ash were nice to the end.

Final thoughts: I really didn't care for this smoke. It was harsh and bitter most the way and not really enjoyable.

Liked it: No
Buy again: No
Reccomend: Hmmm, people seem to like them, I would tell people to give it a shot
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote