Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #401
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

I just dug out my consultation report from a year or so ago--my AHI was 17, with minimum O2sat = 84%. I never went back for the titrated study, so I didn't get the nasal cpap. Maybe I will in a few months.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #402
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
I'm still unconvinced. I sleep one or two nights w/o the machine, and don't find a difference. My machine doesn't tell me anything, I can't control anything except the amount of humidity and the amount of time it takes for the unit to fully blast the air. I imagine if the machine told me I had "x" number of episodes it might make me feel better about the damn thing. Oh, well- I'm glad that it appears to be helping many of you!
I've been using CPAP for a few years now. I can't honestly say that I feel dramatically different than I recall feeling when I didn't use it. I think I've convinced myself that I do, and maybe that's true. But even if it isn't, the health risks associated with apnea (thickening heart walls, increased risk of stroke, etc.) make it worth complying. You can get a new machine that gives you a read out. If that's what it takes, you should do it. Not trying to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong - just trying to stress the seriousness of the condition.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #403
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I've been using CPAP for a few years now. I can't honestly say that I feel dramatically different than I recall feeling when I didn't use it. I think I've convinced myself that I do, and maybe that's true. But even if it isn't, the health risks associated with apnea (thickening heart walls, increased risk of stroke, etc.) make it worth complying. You can get a new machine that gives you a read out. If that's what it takes, you should do it. Not trying to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong - just trying to stress the seriousness of the condition.
My thoughts and experience exactly.
pre-CPAP, my AHI was 29. With the CPAP, my AHI is between 0.5 an 1.5.
Most certainly worth it IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #404
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Been using my CPAP for almost 3 years and still cannot tell the difference in my sleep. But I continue to use it religiously to prevent the other "bad stuff" from happening. I am certain my family appreciates it (I know my wife does, since she doesn't have to hear my nightly grizzly bear impersonation). Stick with it Hugh!!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #405
baldanders
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jim
Trading: (4)
Partagas
baldanders is on a distinguished road

Been using my CPAP less then 1 year. I still only sleep 4-5 hours a day but it's a much better sleep and feel a lot more rested when I get up.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #406
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Used my CPAP for a month...unfortunately, the negatives far outweighed the positives for me, so mine has been sitting idle for the last couple months.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #407
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: JACK
Trading: (7)
FriendlyMan is on a distinguished road

I have to say since I re did my test and started using my new cpap instead of bipap machine in the last week or two started sleeping deeper and I'm just aware of one awakining. I'm still tired during the day, maybe I need more sleep in general but I feel that I made improvment all ready.
FriendlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #408
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I appreciate your comments! I'll check into a unit that gives more info- perhaps I do need a little reinforcement that shows that the unit is more than just an annoyance!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #409
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I work for a DME (Durable Medical Equip) company that specialize in CPAP equipment.
Every single CPAP machine has the ability to record your sleep pattern.
Some require a card that slides in the machine. The newer ones have a modem that attaches to the back so an RT can monitor you remotely.
All you have to do is contact your provider and they should be able to give you a report on how you are actually sleeping with the machine so you can see for yourself if it is making a differance.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #410
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I appreciate your comments! I'll check into a unit that gives more info- perhaps I do need a little reinforcement that shows that the unit is more than just an annoyance!
Excellent! Good luck tracking down the equipment you need.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #411
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Used my CPAP for a month...unfortunately, the negatives far outweighed the positives for me, so mine has been sitting idle for the last couple months.
Figure out how to correct the negatives young man!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #412
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Figure out how to correct the negatives young man!
The CPAP already did more damage to my body in one month than I can repair in a year, Al, so I have no idea how to solve the issues.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #413
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

icehog - have you tried changing to a different type of mask (nasal, fullface, over-the-head...) Having your Dr change the pressure, adding a humidifier.....etc
Have you had an RT download your sleep pattern with the CPAP on?
What do you think the problem is?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #414
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Hi Travis,

My issue has been a problem with both nasal and fullface. I wrote a PM to a friend who inquired, but I see no harm in sharing it with all who have Apnea issues:

I swallow air every night with the CPAP. The first couple nights with the nasal mask, I was so bloated in the mornings I looked like I was 8 1/2 months pregnant, and actually sought medical attention on day 2. They said I am lucky I didn't preforate my colon.

I got the full face mask, and while the swallowing of air was reduced, it was still significant. I tried a chin strap to keep my mouth forced shut, but this did not help.

The bigger problem, that I did not realize until it was too late, was all this stretching of my abdominal wall was causing damage. Now my core muscles are so badly stretched that I cannot work them into my prior level of fitness, which is compounded by making my lower back issues more frequent. It is a vicious cycle, but unless someone can find a way to stop me from swallowing air, I am done with the CPAP. I was hoping for a miracle, but got another, bigger, problem instead.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #415
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear that Tom. I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #416
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Tom- what have those with MDs after their names told you about this serious problem?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #417
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Tom- what have those with MDs after their names told you about this serious problem?
They told me I will get used to it, and it will get better over time, Hugh.

Not good enough.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #418
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

For years I have been using a Respironics CPAP machine -- even when I travel.

I have a full-size (wheeled) carry-on bag just for my CPAP machine and supplies (I always carry an extra mask and hose, having had issues with both at one time or another and extension cords for power).

The catch is that the machine weighs in at about 10 pounds and by the time you add in all the extras its a lot (both size and weight) to be hauling around.

What makes it worse is that many places that I stay don't have a nightstand big enough for my CPAP. This is compounded further by the fact that often there is no power outlet near the nightstand -- which is why I carry two 25 foot extension cords and have used them both a number of times.

As my wife and I are beginning to travel more, the hassle-factor just got to be too much, so I just purchased a new machine for travel -- the HDM Z1 Auto. The machine weighs in at 10 ounces -- yes less than a pound! The machine itself is 6.3" x 3.5" x 2"

It also can run off of a battery:

The battery pack adds 9 ounces and another 1.5" in height. The only drawback is that machine does not have an option for a humidifier. They have a Heat Moisture Exchanger (HME) which helps, but is not the same. In the end, with the battery pack and an extra battery it still comes in at less than 2 pounds fits in the palm of my hand.

I have used it for a couple of days now and it's pretty good -- as quiet as my Respironics. I normally use a lot of water in my humidifier, so I am going to have to get used to that when I travel, but I figure it's worth it.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #419
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Did you buy just the unit or the cordless with battery pack? And roughly what do they cost?
Old 08-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #420
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I bought the unit, battery pack and an extra battery -- with all the extras (tubing -- it's different, filters) it came to about $1,300 -- about $300 less than my travel Respironics cost me five years ago. My home machine is "still good" for another year or so, so my insurance would not cover this.

The base price (at cpap.com) is $875 for the ACPAP; they have a special right now where they throw in a second battery when you purchase the battery pack; the special price is $350.

They have a CPAP only machine for $575 that uses the same battery pack.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote