Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #2101
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
You can pick up a CF-SD adapter for about $20. Basically a CF card into which you insert an SD.
Using one in a D200 and shooting RAW and the write speeds are certainly acceptable.
I'd just get a CF card. Alot of people are selling theres off cuz many companies are moving away from CF.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #2102
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
You want to know what is SICK about my sickness, Justin? The fine folks out at Adorama
also have a couple of D1X / DIH cameras available for about $100, but neither one comes
with a charger. THOSE cameras, at least the D1H, those suckers were FAST, like a scalded
dog. You could get 8-9 frames a second out of it, plus it had a 40 frame buffer in it.
JUST TO HAVE THE BODY IN THE BAG for when I needed something that fast would have
been worth the $105. But without a charger, its not worth it. Maybe to someone who
already has a body and charger and wanted a spare, but DAMMIT, I wanted it to work out.
In the end, I could have picked up a universal RC car charger that probably would have worked
decently, but I started adding it all up and thinking, hell, both my other D-series cameras
can shoot 3-4 frames a second, do you NEED EIGHT? But there will be that one event where
I will think, 'I coulda had that shot'. lol.

That's how diseased you have made me with your DSLRs and your lenses and your big sensors.
I was happily saving money and minding my own business. Now I want to own every sub-$100
piece of used gear I spot.

I'd avoid the D1s. They had a flawed battery system and were a huge PITA, especially when the temp dropped.
Here's a pile of them in our "graveyard" in my office as well as a few other relics.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #2103
GWN
Snow City

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
I'd just get a CF card. Alot of people are selling theres off cuz many companies are moving away from CF.
If you go this route, just check the specs on the max card size in terms of GB. Likely pretty low.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #2104
GWN
Snow City

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
I'd avoid the D1s. They had a flawed battery system and were a huge PITA, especially when the temp dropped.
Here's a pile of them in our "graveyard" in my office as well as a few other relics.

Come to think of it, those might be mostly D200s and there's at least one D2 there.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #2105
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

As far as cards, I feel VERY comfortable limiting the CF to 4GB. Very hard to shoot over 4GB in a day,
certainly possible, but then you need to consider not having all your work on one card, so it helps to have
and use spares.

Picked up the final piece of the puzzle this week, a SIGMA 10-20mm lens. I love a wide angle, and the only
way to get wide on a crop-sensor camera is to get something REALLY WIDE. I have a great deal of nice shots
with it today, I took a 5 mile walk and went out on a pretty dreary day, but when I COULD use the lens
well, it performed. Hard to shoot at a grey sky.

[
Gargoyle by MemphisBrad, on Flickr]
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #2106
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

[
Groovin Suspiciously by MemphisBrad, on Flickr]
Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #2107
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #2108
OLS
Suck It

"We all do Fade as a Leaf." That's a great sentiment for that time.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #2109
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
"We all do Fade as a Leaf." That's a great sentiment for that time.

The reason this caught my eye is that he lived to 88 years old; rather unusual for back then.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #2110
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

It's tough to get good shots of really old gravestones due to the wear and usual breakage of the stone. This was pretty well preserved for 130 years.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #2111
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Driftwood Beach, Jekyll Island, GA. It was taken early in the morning, about 8:30 AM
Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #2112
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Waterfall at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Lake Superior.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #2113
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 03-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #2114
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post

Waterfall at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Lake Superior.
I'd love to see this with a long exposure to blur the water. It's very nice.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #2115
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

B&W HDR by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #2116
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

New lens. Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Traded the 18-135 kit and cash for it. Disregard the foot lol

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 03-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #2117
OLS
Suck It

Good and bad in everything, this time I got mostly good.....

Ordered two lenses from Adorama just cause I didn't feel like stopping after I had everyone
taken care of and a full bag for me. There was a $25 dollar 35-80mm lens that had a cracked
filter thread, so of course it had likely been dropped or something. Then there was a low to almost-mid zoom for $44. I got them in today and the $25 dollar lens is as crisp and
bitey as any I have had in my hands. I am sure I will find it's weak point one day, but
I had to Laugh out loud on that one. The 44 dollar lens is NOT better than the little
cheapie, and I need to test it outside in some real world apertures and shutter speeds.
But right now, If I had to let one go, I would KEEP the lens I thought I would have to
throw against a wall somewhere. Now my sister gets the low zoom, which is funny in a
way. When you are at 28mm, the lens is fully extended. When you rack out to 85mm, the lens barrel completely draws itself back inside. Totally backwards.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #2118
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

The camera arrived today. It powers up and looks like it works so far, but not much can be done until I get a memory card and the lens for it. I did notice that the function knob where you switch between aperture priority, manual, etc. modes appears to be a bit touchy but it works. If that gets to be a hassle I suppose that I could get it fixed. Now doing the pee-pee dance waiting for the lens. It still shows as pending.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #2119
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Where u get the camera and lens from
Old 03-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #2120
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Where u get the camera and lens from
Adorama