Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 02-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #21
Victor808
How Did I Get Here?

First Name: Victor
Trading: (1)
Victor808 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Walking Dead Season 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
I liked this last episode......sorry, I don't have to have a bunch of zombie killings to make for good tv. I liked that we are seeing Maggie,Sasha & Darrel dealing with the deaths.

That dream sequence was intense!

Not sure about the cut on Abraham, but they did focus on his drinking & Sasha's comment on how it wasn't a good thing.

Having just re-read the comics I am glad to see where they are going with the story, this gets me excited.
I agree there don't need to be a bunch of zombie killings, and actually, if you watched closely, there were a bunch of pretty violent zombie kills... darryl ripping the hair off one of them was good. My problem was more with the slow pacing through the whole hour... Just feel like they need to switch it up within the episode.

And I don't believe that was a dream sequence (you're talking about the whole middle of the night holding the barn door closed thing, right?). I think that was actually a horde of zombies driven toward the barn in the middle of the storm.

I am glad they're going with the Aaron story.
Victor808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:08 PM   #22
Victor808
How Did I Get Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I have not. But I'll go look it up right now.
They're fun. Less about the zombie apocalypse, and more about how society is dealing with the zombies after it recovers. Same zombies as TWD, anyone who dies will zombify... Government and society has re-established itself in controlled areas, constant testing to move from point to point... it's an interesting story. the first book is excellent...
Old 02-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor808 View Post
They're fun. Less about the zombie apocalypse, and more about how society is dealing with the zombies after it recovers. Same zombies as TWD, anyone who dies will zombify... Government and society has re-established itself in controlled areas, constant testing to move from point to point... it's an interesting story. the first book is excellent...
Once I saw them, I recognized the books. I think only the first two were out when I saw them before.
I didn't read them because they're what they are. The first book was all conspiracy-theory laden and I steer away from that stuff. I just don't enjoy it.
These books did so well that I'm going to try the first one after I catch up on Molles stuff. Despite not seeming to be up my alley.
Doesn't hurt to take a look, right?
Thanks, Victor!!!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #24
Victor808
How Did I Get Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Once I saw them, I recognized the books. I think only the first two were out when I saw them before.
I didn't read them because they're what they are. The first book was all conspiracy-theory laden and I steer away from that stuff. I just don't enjoy it.
These books did so well that I'm going to try the first one after I catch up on Molles stuff. Despite not seeming to be up my alley.
Doesn't hurt to take a look, right?
Thanks, Victor!!!
Definitely conspiracy theory heavy. If you aren't into that you may get turned off. A bit of a Resident Evil feel to the conspiracy... With evil scientists and crap.

If you want to get a feel for her writing first, the novella "browncoats" or something like that is from the same world, but occurs during the apocalypse beginning... Short and well written, no conspiracy.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Definitely conspiracy theory heavy. If you aren't into that you may get turned off. A bit of a Resident Evil feel to the conspiracy... With evil scientists and crap.

If you want to get a feel for her writing first, the novella "browncoats" or something like that is from the same world, but occurs during the apocalypse beginning... Short and well written, no conspiracy.
I'll check that out later tonight if I get a chance.
Thanks again, brother!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #26
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I agree there don't need to be a bunch of zombie killings, and actually, if you watched closely, there were a bunch of pretty violent zombie kills... darryl ripping the hair off one of them was good. My problem was more with the slow pacing through the whole hour... Just feel like they need to switch it up within the episode.

And I don't believe that was a dream sequence (you're talking about the whole middle of the night holding the barn door closed thing, right?). I think that was actually a horde of zombies driven toward the barn in the middle of the storm.

I am glad they're going with the Aaron story.
I agree on the Violent zombie kills, I didn't even realize that Darryl had ripped off the top of his head until I watched Talking Dead and they showed it in slow motion, that was badass.

Are you sure that wasn't a dream sequence? I mean they are all holding the door and the next thing you see is Maggie opening her eyes and looking at Judith........So did the tornado come and wipe them out and they just went back to sleep? I don't think so, I could be wrong, but that doesn't sound like TWD I know.

I understand your comment on the slow pacing and them needing to switch it up, I feel this last episode was the last of those "we need to find somewhere or we're gonna die" episodes...this episode really showed them at pretty much their worst...they were too tired/hungry/thirsty to fight off those walkers that were following them, but like I said if they are going by the comic (and it looks that way with the introduction of Aaron) then those days are behind them and we are in for an interesting ride soon.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #27
Victor808
How Did I Get Here?

Quote:
Are you sure that wasn't a dream sequence? I mean they are all holding the door and the next thing you see is Maggie opening her eyes and looking at Judith........So did the tornado come and wipe them out and they just went back to sleep? I don't think so, I could be wrong, but that doesn't sound like TWD I know.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a dream sequence. It looked like it, with Maggie opening her eyes... but if it was, who's dream was it? It was supposed to show them all working together at the absolute lowest point... if it was just a dream sequence then that whole thing would only affect one person.

I don't think it was very well presented... but I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be a dream. If it were, there'd be too many questions.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #28
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a dream sequence. It looked like it, with Maggie opening her eyes... but if it was, who's dream was it? It was supposed to show them all working together at the absolute lowest point... if it was just a dream sequence then that whole thing would only affect one person.

I don't think it was very well presented... but I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be a dream. If it were, there'd be too many questions.
I need to re-watch that scene then.....who fell asleep 1st? Who's face did the camera look at last before the scene in question.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #29
Victor808
How Did I Get Here?

Quote:
I need to re-watch that scene then.....who fell asleep 1st? Who's face did the camera look at last before the scene in question.
I didn't get a chance to re-watch the rerun last night to see.

Not clear on who did what when, but I'm still pretty sure it wasn't a dream sequence. Just a zombie-nado (for the record, Z Nation did the zombie-nado first, and even had the nuts to reference sharknado).

Anyway... not much happened in total, but our intrepid survivors are on their way to the safety of the Alexandria community.

On a side note Rick is full on paranoid now. Not really blaming him, what with the cannibals and sadists and child rapists and stuff... but I definitely liked the way the episode kind of made him into the "bad guy". Not necessarily evil, but showing that his paranoia made him more dangerous to Aaron than Aaron was to the group.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #30
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
On a side note Rick is full on paranoid now. Not really blaming him, what with the cannibals and sadists and child rapists and stuff... but I definitely liked the way the episode kind of made him into the "bad guy". Not necessarily evil, but showing that his paranoia made him more dangerous to Aaron than Aaron was to the group.
Funny how we can watch the same thing and I came away seeing Rick completely different than you.
I saw it as the group was giving up....Willing to let their guard down for a chance of having a normal life (or as normal as it can be during a zombie apocalypse) and if they came to their death at the other side of the gate, they were willing to accept it.
To me, Rick was the only one being sensible.
Not taking a long term view and looking at the immediate threats to the group.
Maggie said it best " You were wrong, but you were right."
I'm sure as the season progresses, we'll find out he wasn't wrong at all.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #31
Victor808
How Did I Get Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Funny how we can watch the same thing and I came away seeing Rick completely different than you.
I saw it as the group was giving up....Willing to let their guard down for a chance of having a normal life (or as normal as it can be during a zombie apocalypse) and if they came to their death at the other side of the gate, they were willing to accept it.
To me, Rick was the only one being sensible.
Not taking a long term view and looking at the immediate threats to the group.
Maggie said it best " You were wrong, but you were right."
I'm sure as the season progresses, we'll find out he wasn't wrong at all.
Interesting....
I definitely saw it differently, and maybe that's b/c I've read through the comics past this point.

I definitely didn't think Michonne was giving up... she was almost aggressive about wanting to give this place a shot. That's not a "whatever" attitude, that's more a "we have to try to hope for a home, or we will eventually die" attitude. Maybe that's a potato potahto thing, but it seemed different to me.

Carol was the one who said that. And that was an interesting point. He IS right to be suspicious. The past 4 seasons have shown us that 98.2% of all the people still alive suck. So he's absolutely right to be suspicious. But he's also aggressive, hitting a tied up man... it's interesting because one could make the argument that if Aaron is telling the truth, and it truly is a safe walled community, they may not want someone half-crazed with paranoia (justified or not) in their walls.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:33 AM   #32
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Dom & Victor you both make excellent points, and I agree with both. I thought it was a good episode, and that's all I have to say about that.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #33
Victor808
How Did I Get Here?

I think we can expect a bit of a lull for a couple episodes now. Depending on the pacing they want to put the show through.... it'll be "fish out of water" scenes, rather than zombie attack heavy.

I don't expect the next couple episodes to be particularly exciting....
Old 02-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #34
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
I think we can expect a bit of a lull for a couple episodes now. Depending on the pacing they want to put the show through.... it'll be "fish out of water" scenes, rather than zombie attack heavy.

I don't expect the next couple episodes to be particularly exciting....
I agree, they are going to milk this for a bit, I don't really expect anything exciting until Season 7 to be honest, especially if they are following the comics, however we may lose some key characters before then.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #35
Victor808
How Did I Get Here?

Reasonably filler-ish. Good episode for a filler episode though. Tracked a lot of the theme of the comics that I thought were important...
1 - They're stronger and better at surviving than the people in the community (many of whom never actually had to survive out there...
2 - Touched on how the group still isn't willing to let their guard down, safety sleeping together etc...
3 - Loved the Glenn vs douchebag scene.
4 - Interested in seeing how Daryl is going to fit in. He doesn't exist in the comics... so I don't have a vague template for what they'll do. They're clearly enjoying showing him as not really acclimating. Maybe he's going to wander off for a bit?

A part of me hopes they actually shot a full interview for each of the characters. That would be something I'd love to watch in an extended/cut edition somewhere.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #36
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

I'm really digging where they are going in the show like the comics........I believe some of you are going to be bored with the rest of this season (if they continue to follow the comics) and we may lose a main character.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #37
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Carroll is awesome! Love the wolf in sheep's clothing act.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #38
Victor808
How Did I Get Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Carroll is awesome! Love the wolf in sheep's clothing act.
I have to admit I completely missed that. I was like "WTF? Why's she telling them she misses her abusive ass of a husband?" ... and what's with the soccer mom thing? I completely got suckered in and assumed she just wanted to be off the road so badly she was going to do whatever it took...

I didn't even realize she was making herself look as innocent and non-deadly as possible so if necessary they'll never see her coming.

They played that part really well.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #39
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Yeah, Marie was looking at me all WTF when I couldn't stop laughing when Carroll was taking off her AR in the give up your guns scene.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #40
Victor808
How Did I Get Here?

Ok... Good episode, but as expected, slow. I think the writers keep having the characters meet outside the walls so they can at least kill one or two walkers.

1 - Carol's little speech to the kid? Priceless. I want to find a kid and scare him half as bad. I'm just surprised she didn't throw in killing the kid's parents too.

2 - Sasha's tirade at the party... it was fun, pretty expected. In the comics that's actually Michonne's line, I guess they're trying to find a way to fit sasha in to the group a bit better.

3 - It's looking like Sasha is the "andrea" from the comic books.... the watchtower stuff, the congresswoman's creepy attempts to set sasha up with her son. In the comics, Andrea was still alive and those were the general actions around her.

4 - Daryl and Aaron is like the original "odd couple"... I liked how they set this up, and it may have some opportunities for some rare levity in this series.