Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #121
duckmanco
Can't stop whats coming

Location: that forsaken stretch of wood they call Whiskey Grove
Trading: (10)
duckmanco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pete Johnson goes Vampire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlifetaxidermy View Post
Never paid $13 for a CC, but my gripe is not with the price of the cigar. My gripe is that Pete plays on cigar smokers emotions to cause a frenzy about a product that is only limited because he says it is limited. When that causes hard feelings between B&M owners and their customers or between BOTLs, then we should ALL be angry at his marketing ploy. We have enough to deal with fighting the government (taxes & legislation) and the anti-smoking crowd. We don't need internal conflict....PERIOD.
Yup, its manufactured controlled rarity, I don't care what anyone says.... its marketing hype to stoke the fires found deep within fanboys hearts... and from the looks of the boards, its working. Don't get me wrong, I love the taste of the Noellas, but clamoring for a $13.00 cigar just seems odd.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #122
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanLarry View Post

You could compare this to the guys out there that think CC's are the next best thing since sliced bread....and you know darn good and well they are paying more than that per stick for those CC's and are lucky if 25% of what they buy is legit!

Hey Larry,

I rather enjoy cc's, as you know. I rarely pay more than $8-10 per stick, and it has to have a darned good rep. for that price.

Could you elaborate on the 75% fake figure?

I also enjoy DPG smokes and Padron. Just have had nothing but bad luck from PJ's products (yes I know Pepin makes them). My aversion to his products is my personal experience with bad quality, unfavorable taste (for me) and relatively high price. Thelatest Vamp hype was just "another nail in the coffin" if you will...
Old 10-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #123
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I, personally, am not a fan of Pete's cigars. He and I just share a different taste. I've tried pretty much everything and haven't found a keeper yet.
So far as the hype goes, I think it's fun.
It brings a special excitement to the hobby and the industry that's much lacking. The kidsy, "Furbee" atmosphere surrounding the Dracs is supposed to be fun. I'm looking forward to trying the cigar just to see if they suck.
Then I can say they suck, and that'll be fun, too.
Plus if I can get a few boxes, it'll be fun sharing them here.
I suppose it's easier to be objective whenit really doesn't matter to me whether I get them or not.
I do think that despite the fact that the "manufactured scarcity" is real, it's intent is to make fun, not to make guys angry. If you'll take time to watch some of Pete's interviews and get a feel for the kind of guy he is, I'm sure anyone would come away with the same impression.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #124
pfm721
I bleed Orange and Blue

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
pfm721 is on a distinguished road

I don't get all the animosity over the limited nature of this product. It's not a regular line and to lump all his lines together as being subject to manufactured scarcity is unfair. I find that his regular lines are readily accessible. Ultimately I think it falls on the consumer when this much hype is generated, Pete can't generate this hype all on his own. Plenty of other manufacturers release seasonal, limited edition, etc. smokes and rarely do you see this sort of reaction. I think its unfair to lay all the blame on a manufacturer who chooses to release a limited production smoke.
pfm721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #125
coastietech

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I, personally, am not a fan of Pete's cigars. He and I just share a different taste. I've tried pretty much everything and haven't found a keeper yet.
So far as the hype goes, I think it's fun.
It brings a special excitement to the hobby and the industry that's much lacking. The kidsy, "Furbee" atmosphere surrounding the Dracs is supposed to be fun. I'm looking forward to trying the cigar just to see if they suck.
Then I can say they suck, and that'll be fun, too.
Plus if I can get a few boxes, it'll be fun sharing them here.
I suppose it's easier to be objective whenit really doesn't matter to me whether I get them or not.
I do think that despite the fact that the "manufactured scarcity" is real, it's intent is to make fun, not to make guys angry. If you'll take time to watch some of Pete's interviews and get a feel for the kind of guy he is, I'm sure anyone would come away with the same impression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfm721 View Post
I don't get all the animosity over the limited nature of this product. It's not a regular line and to lump all his lines together as being subject to manufactured scarcity is unfair. I find that his regular lines are readily accessible. Ultimately I think it falls on the consumer when this much hype is generated, Pete can't generate this hype all on his own. Plenty of other manufacturers release seasonal, limited edition, etc. smokes and rarely do you see this sort of reaction. I think its unfair to lay all the blame on a manufacturer who chooses to release a limited production smoke.
I have to agree with these two posts...

How come no one *****es about the Liberty series, or the Master Blends? With every hobby you have a group of people that not only enjoy the activity but also enjoy collecting things that few others have.

Not to mention it's not really that hard to score a box. Come on if a newb like me can score a box it can't be that hard.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #126
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Trading: (70)
Brooks W has a spectacular aura aboutBrooks W has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Yep.

~brooks
Brooks W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #127
lakeside toker
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (4)
Cohiba
lakeside toker is on a distinguished road

I saw grown men on another site act like the world was coming to an end because they could not get a box of "Dracs". Most probably never smoked one and were willings to buy them site or scent unseen. To me that is a hype that was genius on the part of Pete. I myself think that his products are over priced for the hit or miss quality.
lakeside toker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #128
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
Trading: (2)
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

Used to be the same way with Opus, Anejo's, etc. Amazes me how people go crazy for these cigars. Go outside, light up a stick, and relax.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #129
duckmanco
Can't stop whats coming

Location: that forsaken stretch of wood they call Whiskey Grove
Trading: (10)
duckmanco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't know, I don't think its animosity at all, just a civil disagreement with how "limited" these are marketed. I share the same feeling toward most anything "limited" in the cigar world, especially Opus X. More for you guys for sure, and as always smoke what you like and like what you smoke.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #130
SkinsFanLarry

Quote:
I'm with you 100% Patrick!

Good post my brother!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #131
Dukeuni
RIP CS

Trading: (32)
RA
Dukeuni is on a distinguished road

Just a note: Call around to many o the "other listed" retailers. I think most know what they will be getting now, and some of these places are really small, mall stop type of places, and have not been bombarded by phone calls yet. I called a smaller mall store tobacco shop that was listed, they said they are getting two boxes, and put one box aside for me. They actually called me back and were excited that I wanted to purchase a full box.
Dukeuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #132
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

they trying to sell the other box and ship?

stearns
Old 10-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #133
LockOut
Burn Baby Burn

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
LockOut will become famous soon enough

just got naother call, "we arent getting enough dracs to sel lboxes so we are doing smaplers no sellnig individuals, to get dracs you have to buy 150 dollars worth of other tat sticks in a smapler". ****ing bull****. just one more list i was on trying to bend me over a barrel to make money.
IAFF Local #4907
LockOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #134
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Lockout I may be able to get some. If I do they will run about 20 ish due to california 40% tobacco tax and 9% sales tax. taxes!!!!!!!! I will see if I can get some then hit you up. No guarentees because at this point I am officially over this stick and am not waiting in line to get any.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #135
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
Hey Larry,

I rather enjoy cc's, as you know. I rarely pay more than $8-10 per stick, and it has to have a darned good rep. for that price.

Could you elaborate on the 75% fake figure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanLarry View Post
You could compare this to the guys out there that think CC's are the next best thing since sliced bread....and you know darn good and well they are paying more than that per stick for those CC's and are lucky if 25% of what they buy is legit!

Bump for the question.

Anyone?

I just smoked a really good fake RyJ corona and would like to know how to get more.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #136
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Yeah I like Larry, but I cant follow that logic.
I know most Botls here know who is an authorized HSA distributor and they use them. These same vendors are used by botls in europe that I know. Now maybe if they are buying them from a local guy then they are geting hosed, but thats not who were are talking about I dont think.

A 13 CC is a rare stick. Most are less then that, many good standards are half that price and you are not paying taxes on them. For me these are 20.00 sticks and at that price we are talking RA Estupendos and other rare items.

Dont know I cant give much help here
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #137
Hudaddy
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (1)
Montecristo
Hudaddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Yeah I like Larry, but I cant follow that logic.
I know most Botls here know who is an authorized HSA distributor and they use them. These same vendors are used by botls in europe that I know. Now maybe if they are buying them from a local guy then they are geting hosed, but thats not who were are talking about I dont think.

A 13 CC is a rare stick. Most are less then that, many good standards are half that price and you are not paying taxes on them. For me these are 20.00 sticks and at that price we are talking RA Estupendos and other rare items.

Dont know I cant give much help here
Tats are my favorites, but these days, I smoke CCs more often. Tat browns are like higher end CCs, expensive and a treat.
Hudaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #138
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

I got my box today! Pictures coming after lunch.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #139
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOut View Post
just got naother call, "we arent getting enough dracs to sel lboxes so we are doing smaplers no sellnig individuals, to get dracs you have to buy 150 dollars worth of other tat sticks in a smapler". ****ing bull****. just one more list i was on trying to bend me over a barrel to make money.
That also means "We are opening all of our boxes to check for the golden ticket, because the boss would love a new Ducati, and we can then bend you fanboys over for an even higher margin. Have a nice day."
Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #140
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough

Good stick + excellent marketing and working on supply vs. demand.. That bout sums it up.. I've had the blacks and the franks, and given the amount of effort required to get dracs, it's a stick I'd like to try, but I basically called half the 13 retailers and either got:

-gotta buy X amount to buy dracs
-lottery
-scavenger hunt (my second favorite)
-personal fav: "Become a fan" on facebook and there will be a lottery after our top customers get first dibs.. SWEET!

So yeah, after that I went and bought something else
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote