Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #21
joshnauburn
JOSHNAUBURN

First Name: Josh
Trading: (2)
joshnauburn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Apple Watch Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Oddly, I've had zero interest.
I used to wear a watch all the time. Then I got a phone and no longer needed a watch.
If I could ditch the phone and just wear the watch, that'd be different.
That's not far down the road, I'm sure.
I wear a watch I guess b/c I'm old skool, but if you look at the college age kids now none of them wear watches since they all grew up with iPhone, Ipad ect.
joshnauburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #22
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The Apple (and Google) watches may be just the ticket to get (some of) the younger generation wearing watches again. I know my friends' son never wore a watch but he is a proud owner of the Motorola/Google watch.

I also know of several other younger people who are very happy with the Apple Watch -- and they never heard of Dick Tracy

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:59 AM   #23
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

35-40 years ago, I was one of those that hated watches and would never wear one. While we didn't have smart phones then, didn't feel I needed a watch. Then it all changed one day with my wife being hired by Movado. Bought me a watch during an employee sale and it all went downhill from there.
Now? Don't know what life would be without any of my Rolex, Breitling, Concord, Movado, Apple and until not too long ago, Polar Heart Rate Monitor. If any chance I could buy more, I would.

Aside from obvious of telling time, a watch is an item totally reflective of your personality and style. It's a jewelry accessory and at this point in my life, I would feel naked without one, any one. In the case of the Apple Watch, a novelty/toy. While I would agree not for everyone, however I would argue that if you are single, looking for a mate, wear a nice watch. Trust me, they look at your wrist to read you. Wish I had known this then.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:15 AM   #24
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
It's a jewelry accessory and at this point in my life, I would feel naked without one, any one. In the case of the Apple Watch, a novelty/toy.
This is all so true. Very few really "use" a watch. Are you trusting your commercial airline pilot to use his Aviator watch to calculate flight path or decent?
Old 06-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #25
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Meh... I'll stick with this on my wrist....

Like this?
Old 06-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #26
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Nah different times and dates.

Here are a couple different articles with some tips, one talks about using the force touch feature for shortcuts.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/...creenshot-more

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/...fications-more

Last edited by AdamJoshua; 06-05-2015 at 09:21 PM.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #27
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Like this?
Nice!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:14 PM   #28
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
This is all so true. Very few really "use" a watch. Are you trusting your commercial airline pilot to use his Aviator watch to calculate flight path or decent?
My uncle was an Air Force pilot in the 50's and 60's; he can! He can use a slide rule, too.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:17 PM   #29
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
My uncle was an Air Force pilot in the 50's and 60's; he can! He can use a slide rule, too.
I'm not sure, should I feel old...ish because I can use a slide rule?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:58 PM   #30
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post

My problem with Apple is not with where they make their products, but rather how they hide their obscenely vast profits. Over the past ten years the total global . . . TOTAL GLOBAL FOR TEN YEARS!! . . . amount of corporate taxes on their hundreds of billions of profits has been in the neighborhood of 100 million bucks. Look at it this way: When you buy one of their products, the sales tax you pay is 100 times or more greater than the tax they will pay on their profit . . . which is considerable, what with their gross margin of 35%. Yes, 1 out of every 3 bucks you pony up for your Apple goes into their pockets, and stays there.

Do a little research, and be shocked at their greed. Even when dead, Steve still jobs you.
As long as you get what you pay for, what's there to complain about? It sure seems as though the public thinks they're getting what they pay for. If Apple was breaking the law, Uncle Sugar would come looking for them. No one else's wealth diminishes my worth by one penny. I do not covet my neighbor's goods, wife or otherwise. If you don't like paying that much sales tax then I would venture that your problem isn't with Apple's tax burden, but with your own, as it should be. Profit is not obscene; it is the engine of advancement and achievement. Almost every great thing about this country was created with profit as the motive. Without the profit motive there is no impulse to develop new technologies and advance civilization. Those who would instill envy in us for what others have, have other, sinister motives in mind and I'm frightened that otherwise smart people fall for it. It's a shame that only 1 out of every 3 dollars goes into Apple's pocket; they take all the risk, they do all the work, they do the innovating and Uncle Sugar does all the looting. What I don't understand is how anyone, besides Apple, could be upset that they have to spend 2 dollars to make 1.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:00 AM   #31
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I'm not sure, should I feel old...ish because I can use a slide rule?
Absolutely NOT! The current generation carries their brains in their back pocket in their "smart phone". People can no longer think without batteries. You're better than that.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #32
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Absolutely NOT! The current generation carries their brains in their back pocket in their "smart phone". People can no longer think without batteries. You're better than that.
You obviously haven't met Adam.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #33
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
You obviously haven't met Adam.
Are you kidding, I'm using an 1885 Chandler and Price letter press to reply to this.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #34
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Are you kidding, I'm using an 1885 Chandler and Price letter press to reply to this.
I took printing in high school. I ran an 11x17 Davidson Duolith. We had three Heidelbergs; two offset and a letterpress. They do pretty work.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:05 AM   #35
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

While I enjoy the watch, neat gadget and conversation piece, I am actually thinking of listing it on eBay even if at a loss for the dozen or so times I have used it.
I realize I just don't use it enough based on my daily 60% plus battery life remaining. Most of the 40% or less used is from being on. Interesting as the biggest concern with it is battery life. Haven't really decided yet because on the other hand, I love watches, period. It's paid for.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:34 AM   #36
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
My first job after graduating HS was working in a print shop making diplomas on a platen press and pulling the type from a California job case.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #37
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
While I enjoy the watch, neat gadget and conversation piece, I am actually thinking of listing it on eBay even if at a loss for the dozen or so times I have used it.
Apple is one of my clients and the team that does phone orders has some funny insights on the Apple watches. They've sold a few of the 10k+ dollar versions. I don't see how it makes sense as another device, but it nice looking; that's for sure.

Apple needed to kick start this technology and you are an early adopter, so this is what you get. If I were you, I'd put it back in the box, wait a few years and sell it if you're not hurting to re-coupe your doe. Just like a mint 1st gen iPhone, it could rise in value.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:13 AM   #38
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Apple is one of my clients and the team that does phone orders has some funny insights on the Apple watches. They've sold a few of the 10k+ dollar versions. I don't see how it makes sense as another device, but it nice looking; that's for sure.

Apple needed to kick start this technology and you are an early adopter, so this is what you get. If I were you, I'd put it back in the box, wait a few years and sell it if you're not hurting to re-coupe your doe. Just like a mint 1st gen iPhone, it could rise in value.
Definitely not hurting to recover money. I would just use the funds towards paying off other recent watch purchases. I thought of keeping it long term but wonder what value there will really be if the market is flooded with so many millions of them.

I really like the watch. I just dont see enough use out of it. On the other hand, it's paid for, it's a fun gadget, perhaps I will gradually rely on it more. What I definitely love about it is being home, having phone wherever and seeing my texts, emails and calls.

I think my biggest hurdle is I can't see shelving my Breitling or Rolex for an Apple Watch but I can definitely find use for it here and there.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #39
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I won't buy one, personally don't see the need or have the want to. I have had an iphone since the 3g. Recently upgraded from the iphone 5 to the 6 plus and love it. i also recently bought my wife an iphone 6 plus to, also got her and I Ipad Air 2s as well and love them working together, but the watch? Nah. My windows laptop crapped out on me a couple weeks ago and I am fighting hard trying to talk myself out of getting a macbook. Just the price is what's holding me up since I spent all the money on two iphones and Ipads. LOL
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #40
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Screw it. Listed it.