Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
rgrecco
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ronald
Trading: (4)
LFdC
rgrecco is on a distinguished road
Default What am i doing wrong???

I don't know what my problem is...

I purchased this Humidor a while back and have since stocked it up... I made the mistake of putting in a VERY BIG Humidifier for a short period of time... When I realised that the humidity was running VERY HIGH I took it out and bought a Cigar Mechanic Humidifier...

Now I know that it is for 100 stick and the humidor is a 75 stick I just figured that would have been better then running the 250 stick humidifier that I had... Also it runs on "beads"

My humidity after a week is still running up in the 80% area at temps of 72 degreese... What can I do???

I open it up and let it sit to air it out daily so I don't screw up my smokes...

Hope someone here can help me out...

THANKS

RON
rgrecco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
rgrecco
Still Watching My Back

LFdC
Default Re: What am i doing wrong???

By the way... I am running a Caliber III Digital Hygrometer...
Old 08-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
BradNC
Formerly BradSacramento

First Name: Brad
Trading: (9)
BradNC is on a distinguished road

Are you sure the temp and humidity readings are correct?
BradNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
rgrecco
Still Watching My Back

LFdC

The temp I know for sure is spot on... as for the humidity... I dunno...

But... This is what the site says...

Features of the Caliber III Digital Hygrometer:
*Never requires calibration
*Features easy to read large display, slim profile design, and magnetic mount
*Accuracy +/- 1% humidity, +/-1 degree temperature
*Dimensions: 3.5 x 1.25 x .25
*Full 5 years guarantee
Old 08-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
TXRebel
Have My Own Room

First Name: Cary
Trading: (12)
TXRebel has disabled reputation

Salt test your hygrometer and dry your beads out. I have no experience with that brand of beads, but I read their directions and if all beads are clear they can’t absorb excess humidity. I recommend getting some Shilala Beads or Heartfelt Beads.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRebel View Post
Salt test your hygrometer and dry your beads out. I have no experience with that brand of beads, but I read their directions and if all beads are clear they can’t absorb excess humidity. I recommend getting some Shilala Beads or Heartfelt Beads.
Have to agree, salt test the hygro. Search here and find out how to, its easy. Than get those beads. i have had both and like both very well. Having more beads that required is fine too. I always like to have more so the humidity bounces back faster after opening it.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

The beads you have may (and I stress may) be okay. But, my understanding is optimally when you hydrate your beads you should aim for 1/2 opaque and 1/2 white......better yet, if your running high now, dry them completely out and put them in dry (all white). If your humidor is higher than the bead's preset RH, they should pull the moisture to them.

I'm not a bead expert, but that's my understanding of how they work. Here's a post by someone who knows a lot more about beads than me. LINK

And definitely calibrate your hygrometer just to be sure! Here's a post by the same member...Mark's a good guy. LINK

BTW - both of the links are stickies. Read up on them and a lot of questions may already be answered.

Last edited by yourchoice; 08-05-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: BTW
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrecco View Post
The temp I know for sure is spot on... as for the humidity... I dunno...

But... This is what the site says...

Features of the Caliber III Digital Hygrometer:
*Never requires calibration
*Features easy to read large display, slim profile design, and magnetic mount
*Accuracy +/- 1% humidity, +/-1 degree temperature
*Dimensions: 3.5 x 1.25 x .25
*Full 5 years guarantee
Don't believe that for a minute -- in any case as others have suggested you should salt test it.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
rgrecco
Still Watching My Back

LFdC

Here Is My Issue With The Salt Test:

Old 08-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Beads are meant to be used ALONE...

Really, just pick one or the other, use beads, or use the humidifier. Don't complicate it by using different systems.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Take out the beads. Let it sit for 24hours and take a reading. If you dont trust the salt test you can get a Boveda Test kit for under $10 at your local shop or online. If after calibrating and reading your Rh without the beads if its still too high then dry out 90% of the beads and then put them back in. It will take 7-10days for the beads to absorb the excess Rh and you want it to go slowly. Too fast and you may damage some more delicate wrappers. The only problem I see with those beads is they do not state the Rh that they have been set at, other than that they should be fine.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #12
bigdix
Cigarmurai

First Name: Dan
Trading: (1)
Trinidad AirForce (Active)
bigdix will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Take out the beads. Let it sit for 24hours and take a reading. If you dont trust the salt test you can get a Boveda Test kit for under $10 at your local shop or online. If after calibrating and reading your Rh without the beads if its still too high then dry out 90% of the beads and then put them back in. It will take 7-10days for the beads to absorb the excess Rh and you want it to go slowly. Too fast and you may damage some more delicate wrappers. The only problem I see with those beads is they do not state the Rh that they have been set at, other than that they should be fine.
---Wise words. I would listen if I were you...just my
Old 08-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
druturn

Your hygro may indeed be off. I have the exact same hygro in my humi and when I tested it with a boveda pack, it turned out to be about 4 points too high. Instead of sending it in, I just take in the 4 points into account when setting the humidity. Although they advertise it as being perfect, it is merely a ploy from preventing you from actually testing it and seeing how off it is. Once you find out how off it is, it will stay that way. Mine has been perfectly 4 points off since buying it over a year ago.(I have tested it numerous times and it resulted in the same 4 point differential)
Old 08-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
d'am
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
Bolivar
d'am is on a distinguished road

Regarding the salt test, I can't imagine why it would hurt a hygrometer. I suspect that the manufacturer is worried about loose salt finding its way in your hygro and the subsequent warranty request.

That said, if you don't test either by salt or the boveda pack, you're in for a lot more headaches down the road. Your hygro's error will drift plus or minus over time.
d'am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #15
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

How are your cigars smoking?

Are they spongy and hard to draw? Any signs of mold? Dry as a bone and crack when handled?

Or are they smoking okay and looking good?

Hygrometers are nice, but don't get into a position where you can't see the forest for the trees. What's important is how your cigars smoke and their condition.

I have four or five hygrometers, none of which I've paid any attention to in years. My cigars tell me what condition they're in, and I make adjustments based on that. Watching the numbers is good as you're gaining experience, but try to listen to your cigars as well. They'll tell you the true story.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #16
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

I have to say, I agree with Bill. I have Scott's beads set for 65% (way more than recommended, but I like a auick bouce back from playing cigar Tetris). My smokes burn almost in a perfect circle for me.

I have several analog and digital hugrometers. They all suck equally. Most lose their "accuracy" in 6 months due to the batteries getting weak. I trust my beads and use the hgrometers for temp only as my humis sit close to the tv in the entertainment console. In the summer time I have to move them due to the heat from the tv. Use the force Luke, trust your beads and how the cigars smoke are smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
How are your cigars smoking?

Are they spongy and hard to draw? Any signs of mold? Dry as a bone and crack when handled?

Or are they smoking okay and looking good?

Hygrometers are nice, but don't get into a position where you can't see the forest for the trees. What's important is how your cigars smoke and their condition.

I have four or five hygrometers, none of which I've paid any attention to in years. My cigars tell me what condition they're in, and I make adjustments based on that. Watching the numbers is good as you're gaining experience, but try to listen to your cigars as well. They'll tell you the true story.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #17
rostamizadeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Solid advice. I think the key is having patience while things hit equilibrium.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #18
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

I've got 4 of those hygrometers and have had them about 5 years. I salt test them twice per year. It's just another typical liability disclaimer they have to use.

The Cigar Mechanic's beads are set for 70%. Dry them completely, with a hair dryer, so they can soak up the excess moisture. Then chuck them and get 65% beads from Heartfelt.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #19
rgrecco
Still Watching My Back

LFdC

Thanks for the help Guys... The cigars seem to be smoking right...

I am still new to this whole cigar world... 99% of the cigars are burning evenly, some are dryer then others... Prob because some are on the bottom and some are on top... ( I prefer top... ;-) )

I will let the humidor sit without a humidifier for 24 hours and see where it gets me... I will do that on Sunday...

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP!!!

RON