Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Diamond Crown Maximus Toro

So I got a bunch of smoke recently in a lot from GoneDave and this stick was one of them that I have never tried but heard good things about. These are a bit pricey so I always tended to drop the cash on an Opus rather then try something new in lew of being disappointed. This Diamond Crown Maximus Toro, I was told, had at least a year of age on it so I don't know if off the shelf if you would experience something similar to mine. So I decided to clip the end with my desk catseye and take a dry draw, nice, perfect roll. The wrapper had a 2 veins that were a little more pronounced than what you would expect from an upper ecelon stick but still nice...reddish hue. I decided to pair this brand new stick with a new Cognac I just procured (Maison Surrenne).

So I commence to lighting up the stick and I get an immediate hit of spice. A few draws in and I am floored by the complexity of this stick. I have never had another quite like this one. I get a lite/medium spice, coco notes, creamy, leathery, and a sour front end which flows sweet to the back of the throat. I wish I could place this sour kinda bitter flavor on the tip of my tongue...I guess the closest thing I could compare it to is bitting into a coffee bean. Man, there is sooo much going on with this stick flavor wise which is a very good thing. Flavor to the nub! Perfect burn, no loss of flavor, and overall a very nice surprise. I really like these!

Wrapper: 8.5
Construction: 9.5
Flavor profile: 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diamondc1.jpg (95.7 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg diamondc2.jpg (71.7 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg diamondc3.jpg (111.4 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg diamondc4.jpg (71.2 KB, 265 views)
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
darkninja67

Default Re: Diamond Crown Maximus Toro

Thanks for the write up. Reviews like this make me want to buy a box. They are on my short list of birthday boxes.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
ChasDen

Nice review

I find myself reaching for these over the Opus since they don't require the lengthy aging that the Opus needs. Plus you can often find them at a much lower price. I have had them right off the truck and with as much age as a year. Although they do get better with a little nap, they are just as good at 2 months as they are at 12.

Chas
Old 04-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Nice review, Eric. One of the few big money cigars that I think are worth the money..

Huummm Chas likes DCM's..
Old 04-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

I dig the DCM!

In fact, that most certainly will be my next box purchase if I have room when Chasden's shelves get here.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote