Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
dentonparrots

Default Graycliff Espresso PG cigar

Graycliff Espresso PG. Robusto-size, Black Label. 50 x 5¼
I was again given this as part of an NC trade and what a week I’ve had trying them!

I’d never heard of Graycliffs before I got it and thought “sod it, I’ll try it and review it before I look into them as a brand.
The wrapper of the cigar was quite dark and slightly mottled, but rich looking and quite shiny. The only thing that detracted from its looks were the slightly raised veins on the underside, but hey, the “proof is in the taste of the pudding”.

The band itself looked impressive, embossed, very shiny gold and a contrasting black on it with a small logo and stars. It might look like it’s edging on gaudy but it goes well with the cigars colour to the eye, although the flash from my camera doesn’t do it much justice.

The pre-light draw was perfect and scent gave me a mild-medium scent and taste.
After toasting and lighting my first tastes were quite powerful in flavour, but not so spicy I couldn’t tell what I was tasting, mellow cedar and a tannin-type of blackcurrant berry, with a slight bit of sweetness in there…damn, I’m almost sounding like I’m tasting wine (and I hate that stuff)!
This was a very good first inch or so, and it reminded me of Punch cigars of that size, just enough to wet the appetite and leave you wanting more from it. Mild chocolate gave way to a slightly earthy taste, not much, but what was there was goooooood!

Graycliff seem to have made the flavour/ strength mix to perfection with this cigar, something I strive to find in all of them ideally. Towards the middle the chocolate taste got stronger, and the spices were more like a tangy taste instead, almost fruity. So far as I was getting everything I’d expect from a good CC.

In the bottom 3rd I got a few peppermint tastes, and although the cigar got richer as a whole it was still in a mild, subtle way with slight increases. This next pic says it all.

I was impressed the whole way through this cigar, and if it had been slightly stronger and fuller it would have been as good as my fave CC (RyJ PC).

After reading into them once I'd smoked it, I’ve found that they were initially made specifically for guests of the Graycliff hotel resort in the Bahamas and they expanded from a single roller in the lobby to supplying them worldwide. They are a result of collaboration between Cuban legend Avelino Lara and the resort owner Enrico Garzaroli who’s obviously a cigar aficionado.

They have quite a few different cigars in their line with equally loud bands and after trying this one I’m eager to have a go at the others in time. They do seem to be rather high in price for an NC but in all honesty they are probably worth it as they are on par with CC’s and if you ask me, are in some cases better.

Definitely worth a go.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Graycliff Espresso PG cigar

I have enjoyed these in the past as well but have noticed some inconsistencies and burn issues in some of the Graycliffs I have smoked. Nice review and pic!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
dentonparrots

I forgot to include a pic of the only gripe I had with this cigar, and that was the number of raised veins on the underside. It caused a slight cracks to develop in the ash, and I've noticed from the reviews of others that it can cometimes lead to cracks appearing in the wrapper below the burn point.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
dentonparrots

I should have also mentioned that the price for them is around $400 for 25...quite a lot for an NC!