Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
Brandon
Trout chaser

Trading: (0)
Brandon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where the band is on Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
I'm confused. I always assumed any ligero leaf used in a cigar ran pretty much the length of the cigar. I had no idea the ligero started around the band.
You're right. Ligero runs throughout. I just had a blonde moment. I meant to say the point at which the cigar changes flavor profile substantially. When most cigars are blended, they intend on most of the cigar to be smoked... not just a couple inches. The building of tar and other substances changes the profile towards the end.

Bottom line.... cigar bands are ornamental... smoke a cigar as far as you want... and do what ever you want with the cigar band. Cigars are only fermented, dried up leaves with fancy labels on them.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #22
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I always pitch mine when it becomes a chore to smoke rather than a pleasure, the point at which that happens varies from cigar to cigar. The band is just decoration, I remove it as soon as is possible without damaging it, for some cigars it's right at the beginning, some require warming up the glue. I don't even keep the bands anymore, so it's completely pointless for me to care about damaging the bands, but it's what I do. I don't need a good reason to remove the band, I just prefer the look of a cigar in my hand sans band.

At least the cello argument has some bearing on the aging of the cigar, I don't see how bands on or off affects anything...
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #23
gnbikes
Feeling at Home

First Name: Garry
Trading: (3)
RyJ
gnbikes is on a distinguished road

I tend to leave the band on until it comes off easily. Box pressed cigars I normally take them off before lighting. I think that they "round out" more evenly with the band off.
Gifting a cigar means that I no longer own it. If the receipient wants to smoke only an inch, it's his cigar he can do whatever he wants with it.
G-
gnbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #24
kuzi16
the one and only

Trading: (1)
SCdlH
kuzi16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I never thought to do that.

If you didn't realize it, my post was in addition to yours. Not a contradiction.
clearly i didnt realize that.

thats not even sarcasm.
i didnt. thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #25
Crownedone
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (0)
Crownedone is on a distinguished road

The band comes off as soon as possible, before putting fire to it if I can. I do this because I hate the feel of the bands on the cigar. I want to feel the smoothness or toothyness of the wrapper. The feel of the tabacoo in my hand is part of the over all cigar smoking experience.
Crownedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #26
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: JACK
Trading: (7)
FriendlyMan is on a distinguished road

I defiantly agree with your first statement.

If I cigar keeps on going out I hate the almost as much as a a pluged cigar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
I always pitch mine when it becomes a chore to smoke rather than a pleasure, the point at which that happens varies from cigar to cigar. The band is just decoration, I remove it as soon as is possible without damaging it, for some cigars it's right at the beginning, some require warming up the glue. I don't even keep the bands anymore, so it's completely pointless for me to care about damaging the bands, but it's what I do. I don't need a good reason to remove the band, I just prefer the look of a cigar in my hand sans band.

At least the cello argument has some bearing on the aging of the cigar, I don't see how bands on or off affects anything...
FriendlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote