Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Gun help

Someone broke into the cabin up north, and I had been foolish enough to leave firearms up there in the closet. Someone broke into the cabin and stole the TV, Play Station III, Huscvarna chain saw, and 5 firearms.

Replacing the 22, 22mag, and 12 gauge & 410 shotguns are easy decisions. However, my .303 hunting rifle is another matter. I never looked for another. The action was butter smooth and would allow me to get off 2 shots very quickly. I was one shot - one kill with that weapon for the last 37 years.

I never really looked at other hunting rifles because I watched me budget, and hey, you can only shoot one at a time, and why mess with success. So, I now find myself sort of unprepared. I have not really investigated long guns much, and while I did some internet searching, I found reviews and suggestions all over the map.

I will predominantly use this for whitetail deer, coyotes, and maybe in the future black bear, elk, or antelope.

So, I am thinking another bolt action chambered for 270...? (gives me possible distance in the future and decent knock-down power) Thoughts?

Which manufacturer?

Remember, I am functioning on a pastor's salary, so I do watch my budget.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Gun help

.270 sounds good to me. The Elk and Black Bear force you to that as a minimum is my guess. For the rest, a simple .243 served me well. You may want to consider a .308 as my father likes his and the Ammo is relatively easy to find.

I liked the small size and low weight of the .243 but we hunt in Nevada and you end up doing quite a bit of hiking.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #3
Ripplingh2o
MSG, U.S. Army Retired

First Name: Robb
Trading: (0)
Army (Retired)
Ripplingh2o is on a distinguished road

That's a pretty far spread (coyotes to black bear & elk) Pastor. But ask a dozen people get a dozen answers. I'd suggest looking at the Tikka T3 hunter for about $600.00 and have it chambered in 300 wsm (Winchester Short Mag). Most versatile cartridge out there and it will do absolutely everything you ask of it.
Ripplingh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

I'm pretty faithful to Ruger. I have a 243 for deer and whatnot and over under 20 gauge for birds and clays.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Found another .303 British Enfield. So, I am a happy camper.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #6
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Good for you, Todd, and damn lucky you are. There were only about 17 million of them made.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:25 AM   #7
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

303 Enfield is a great weapon and in my usually not so humble opinion a slightly better choice than a .270 considering the larger game you may be encountering. The only downfall is weight but even that is not unbearable. Congratulations on the great find.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

An update:

I found a 303 for $300 online at a gun broker, had it sent to a local shop with an FFL who did the background check on me. Got a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 BDC scope and am happy as a clam. Sighted it in today and it is dead nuts on at 100 yards. It has basically the same composite stock I had on my old one, so it is nearly identical.

I am stoked.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Great! Enjoy your new rifle.
Posted via Mobile Device
SmokeyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Enjoy it, Rev.