Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Official Soccer/Football/Futbol/Calcio thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone View Post
I've seen Henry, Eto'o, Messi and Toure all on the pitch at the same time...
Henry is french! Also, through his grandparents (I believe) Messi has Italian citizenship, meaning he's an EU national.
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #882
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
I've seen Henry, Eto'o, Messi and Toure all on the pitch at the same time...
and that makes 3 non EU players
Old 05-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #883
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Messi, and many others playing in EU, use their ancestry BS to claim whatever place they feel like as their own. Hargreaves, for example, claims English citizenship, for example, since his grandparents (or whoever) came from England who knows when. Same for Messi and a ton of other Argentine and Brazilian players who claim Italian or Portuguese roots for one reason or another.

I am all for the 6/5 rule, but unless FIFA/UEFA change this STUPIDITY with fake naturalization claims, they should not in any way insist on the rule. Clean up your own house first. I know same rule is used in Olympics and that's why half of what used to be USSR sportsmen are now playing all over the world. Poland has a Brazilian born player on its national team, another Brazilian got Russian citizenship in recent years to do the same. Its stupid and sports committees really need to clean up the rules first.

If this rule passes, I am taking ALL bets that all the nations will then quickly issue citizenship to whoever needs one to ply their trade there. It is done now anyway, on a small scale, but if FIFA/UEFA want to expedite matters, then they will only open a Pandorra's Box and make the situation even worse.
On a more serious and important note, Iniesta seems to be done for the season, Henry may not play in Rome as well. Add another suspended player and an injured one, and all of a sudden Barcelona may have to play the likes of Hleb in Rome. Doesn't look good, not that Hleb is not a good player but he is not Iniesta, and if United beat Barca, as they should even with Barca at full strength, we won't hear the end of excuses for the next 10 years.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #884
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Messi, and many others playing in EU, use their ancestry BS to claim whatever place they feel like as their own. Hargreaves, for example, claims English citizenship, for example, since his grandparents (or whoever) came from England who knows when. Same for Messi and a ton of other Argentine and Brazilian players who claim Italian or Portuguese roots for one reason or another.

I am all for the 6/5 rule, but unless FIFA/UEFA change this STUPIDITY with fake naturalization claims, they should not in any way insist on the rule. Clean up your own house first. I know same rule is used in Olympics and that's why half of what used to be USSR sportsmen are now playing all over the world. Poland has a Brazilian born player on its national team, another Brazilian got Russian citizenship in recent years to do the same. Its stupid and sports committees really need to clean up the rules first.

If this rule passes, I am taking ALL bets that all the nations will then quickly issue citizenship to whoever needs one to ply their trade there. It is done now anyway, on a small scale, but if FIFA/UEFA want to expedite matters, then they will only open a Pandorra's Box and make the situation even worse.
Unfortunately, like I said, a ruling called the Kolpak Ruling has made it impossible for UEFA to address the problem - There are a bucket load (like 40) countries covered by the ACP Treaty (Between African, Caribbean and Pacific countries and the EU) that means as we have a free trade agreement with them, to limit the number of their nationals who can play on a sports team would, apparently, be breaking this treaty.

As for the repatriation of players for national team purposes... well, this has been happening for years... most countries have a specific amount of time for naturalisation - 5 years residence gives a passport, and this is all FIFA wants from people playing on a national team - either a passport or a grandparent.
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #885
Jason
the thing under the thing

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Jason will become famous soon enough

It's a new world order. Welcome to Earth. Not sure how I feel about that
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #886
theycallmedan'lboone

eh. I don't really care.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #887
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

Man U EPL Champs.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #888
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

aldukes is on a distinguished road

be champions.
Boone owes me lunch.
aldukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #889
theycallmedan'lboone

I do?
Old 05-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #890
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Barca is going down soon...
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #891
Jason

Bolivar

Quote:
I do?
don't cross him, the kid takes his lunch very seriously
Old 05-17-2009, 01:43 AM   #892
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

Quote:
I do?
In good faith you should.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #893
theycallmedan'lboone

did we make a bet? haha, you come down this way, I'll bring you a few cigars and take you to the best barbeque joint in the South.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #894
Jason

Bolivar

found this amusing

Old 05-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #895
theycallmedan'lboone

what did you find amusing jason?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #896
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

Finally I have a local team - The Philadelphia Union is born . Named after the original 13 States of what is now the U.S.A. They will play in the MLS - I can't wait .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09_Union_Magnet-2.jpg (84.7 KB, 214 views)
Old 05-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #897
theycallmedan'lboone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ View Post
Finally I have a local team - The Philadelphia Union is born . Named after the original 13 States of what is now the U.S.A. They will play in the MLS - I can't wait .
nice! i wish i had a local team. i would settle for the MLS
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #898
theycallmedan'lboone

Well boys update from Huntsville, The season has been cut short due to the outrageous (and needed) rain fall we've had down here. 8 games is what it has been limited to. Today was the second to last game of the season against the team that had only scored 3 goals and had never taken points of anyone. Not anymore. As a team we managed to tie and nearly beat the best team in the league, managed to suck some major donkey balls against the worst. Did I mention that the ref was a joke.. oh the defender that made the goalie type diving save? right. anyways. 0-0 final score. I had to make a rough decision and a huge dent in my pride *cough* ego *cough*. I decided that I was no longer fit to captain the team and ceded it to a fellow player. I asked my team to give nominations and at the end of next week, vote on it. I am just too competitive to captain a team in the lowest Division. several of the less than talented players don't understand why I make a line change with the best and fastest players on the field in the last 10 minutes. I was asked after the match by one of the females who was pulled, if my extra penis on the field helped score the winning goal, almost did I had a diving header go over and one of the others missed a sitter), being the sarcastic and at that point pissed off replied, well it was a hell of a lot closer than you would have gotten it.. bad idea. I have since apologized, she has yet to accept(don't blame her) so I gave up my armband and said that I will play when and where I am told... I've had a bad week already, this just topped it off. Hopefully. On to the records... Currently we are 1-4-2. Defensively we have been solid all season only allowing 12 goals all season, thus far, but only scoring 8. I have scored 1 goal. I don't know how we're going to work this little contest but I'll come up with something... or not. we'll see.. thanks for letting me vent.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #899
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

Team Dukes lost to the worst team in the league last night. That now puts us at bottom table. That's all I have to say about that.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #900
theycallmedan'lboone

fantasy league is just about over. One more set of matches.... looks like JDB is going to take them al.