Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 04-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #841
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Official Soccer/Football/Futbol/Calcio thr

Forgot to add that Ledley King was billed prior to the game as the best CB in the league, if not Europe. Right...
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #842
reggiebuckeye
Exploring all slopes

First Name: Ummm
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Retired)
reggiebuckeye will become famous soon enough

I didn't see the first half, so I can't comment on that. I do know I am truly amazed at teams that bunker down after getting a lead thinking they will hold on for a half. That makes no sense to me. Yes, they did luck up on their goals, but some pressure keeps the other team from just going to an all out attack and coming back.

As far as Cl goes, we will see. Gallas and Clichy going down has really hurt us defensively. I hope they can fix it. I see why you all let Silvestre walk.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #843
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Silvestre was good a few years ago, no doubt about it. The guy had speed, heart and understood the game, but like all things, there is a point of diminishing returns. I think he'd still be a United player had he not request to leave.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #844
Jason
the thing under the thing

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Jason will become famous soon enough

ATTN Metrosexuals and Mancs, Ferdy's got a lifestyle magazine

good for a Monday laugh
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #845
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

Trading: (3)
aldukes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
ATTN Metrosexuals and Mancs,
yes?
aldukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #846
Jason
the thing under the thing

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Jason will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldukes View Post
yes?
lifetime subscriber^
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #847
theycallmedan'lboone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
If Gunners create just 4 chances next week, as they did with 'Pool, I am all for it At least Ade and Van Persie should be back, although defense is still very suspect.
Not if they do the same with them that they did to us.

by the way, If you ever want to watch some absolute shite football watch Newcastle v Pompey. I think there were three legitimate chances the entire match. 1 of them came from David James dropping the ball on Viduka's foot.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #848
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Talking Re: The Official Soccer/Football/Futbol/Calcio thr

Yeah, except Arshavin won't be there to make those chances I can convert more chances than Ade can and with Van Persie now confirmed as injured and unable to play in the first game, I see no reason to be alarmed. Fabregas, Nasri and Walcott can all create, but as finishers go, only Fabregas is OK. And Arsenal's back line is very suspect now, while United's is back to its normal self with only Evra needing some serious rest, the games should be interesting to say the least.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #849
theycallmedan'lboone

arsenal does seem to step it up against the big clubs though... time will tell.

Good luck, I want ManU to stay in the CL as long as possible...
Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #850
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Oh, BTW, I never liked Shearer as a player, very dirty and one dimensional, IMO. With all the hoopla surrounding his "return" to the club, I hope they are relegated so that the management can assess the situation properly and hire someone who can actually coach them back to EPL.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #851
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

anyone else see this fluke goal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RSpVaL9EjE
Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #852
theycallmedan'lboone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsetGO View Post
anyone else see this fluke goal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RSpVaL9EjE

yeah espn showed it in the top 10 plays this AM. Commentator was a moron. made it seem like he tried to do it... sure he didn't mind but the goal wasn't his intention.

riddick, The local soccer shop guy and I discussed the Newcastle/Shearer thing, and we both agreed not the best idea for a manager. I don't know why but I have this soft spot in my heart for Newcastle... you know kinda like the lovable Chicago Cubs...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #853
TheRiddick
Non-believer

I like Newcastle, they usually are a gritty team and everyone works hard, but Shearer, as a player, never made me sit back and enjoy unless one loves watching goons play. Along with Dennis Wise and Vinnie Jones, probably the third dirtiest player in England.

I never understood the decision to bring him in as a manager, he was not a "deal changer" in his playing career and I am not sure he understands the game that much. I want them to stay up, but the only way to get rid of Shearer as a manager is for them to drop.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #854
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Chelsea just parked the bus and decided not to chase the ball across this vast Nou Camp pitch. Should be a completely different game next week when Chelsea won't have to chase and Barca players will find themselves in much closer quarters without all the acres of empty space. Chech did well today with a just a couple of errors. Essien and Mikel were very quiet. And for all that possesion Barca had, they had nothing really to show for it.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #855
theycallmedan'lboone

Barca impressed, if all they had to do was maintain possession. Chelsea looked quite content to let them have it. Petr Chech earned is pay check with a few quality saves, although 'voyer's cast-off hleb should have kept his head' and the open header the kid had should have put it away, but much to their chagrin. I think the game is fully in Chelsea's court at their home with their plastic flags and 'atmosphere', but I think if they push forward messi, henry and eto'o will make them pay.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #856
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

Trading: (3)
aldukes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone View Post
Barca impressed, if all they had to do was maintain possession. Chelsea looked quite content to let them have it. Petr Chech earned is pay check with a few quality saves, although 'voyer's cast-off hleb should have kept his head' and the open header the kid had should have put it away, but much to their chagrin. I think the game is fully in Chelsea's court at their home with their plastic flags and 'atmosphere', but I think if they push forward messi, henry and eto'o will make them pay.
aldukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #857
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Chelsea will play a different game at home. Their field size is MUCH smaller than Camp Nou and they won't have to chase the ball muh, as a matter of fact, Barca players will find themselves in too close proximity to Essien's, Job Obi's and Malouda's tackles. Barca had not faced a physical team yet this year and their much smaller size will be their downfall, Messi, Eto'o or whoever else. They couldn't create much at home, not sure they can do so away. I think Chelsea will exploit the size advantage at home and simply keep crossing into the box with the likes of Drogba and Anelka winning every header. Let's not forget that Puyol cannot play next game, he's their best defender by far and that will also play a part of the mental game.

Arsenal got REALLY lucky today. That said, and since I am already seeing online reports of a "slim" lead, I can only say that ManU will provide more of the same next week. Arsenal could not cope tonight, don't see what is going to change for them next week even with van Persie able to play (that means one of their mids cannot). They seemed slower than ManU and the telling sign was that Ade had just one attempt on goal in 82 minutes of play. That's domination and game was nothing but.

At least a much more entertaning encounter than last night's. And so much for Wenger's promise of an "open play", they had at least 9 men behind the ball all game long. BS and showed how much they are scared of ManU.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #858
theycallmedan'lboone

Team Pittman update:

*cue espn theme*

After a week of build up for a clash with the top team in the league who WERE un-beaten and un-tied. Misfits FC scored courtesy of some spectacular striking and a intsy little bit of a big boot up the pitch by moi. moments before the first half ended a dubious penalty *think MU v Totnhm x 5 * was given. Shot was to my right and I palmed it away... only to have the official who obviously has never seen the dudek dance declared 'you were over your line' re-taken and he tried to fool me with a stutter step( he also cried.. alot similar yes? ) again to my right, dove (slipped) and it went off my fingers and in. I was bitterly disappointed but continued on in high spirts I had a total of 19 saves on the evening, it has been my best game yet. Score ended 1-1, and ruined these dirty little bastardo's perfect season. On a completely different note this team hails mainly from the Middle East and is primarily (if not 100%) muslim. I informed their team captain that if any one of their players ever tells my fiance (who plays striker and told one of their players to '**** off' when he fouled her) to learn her place. I'm going to bury him in the center circle.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #859
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone View Post
... I'm going to bury him in the center circle.
Wrapped in a pig skin

Is this a co-ed league?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #860
theycallmedan'lboone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Wrapped in a pig skin

Is this a co-ed league?
don't put extra ideas in me head lad!

yes it is coed... the team we played against had a very talented split-tail, uglier than my dog, but talented. My better half is at least good looking and pretty good with a ball...