Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Trading: (3)
Zoomschwortz is on a distinguished road
Default Don Elias (What a surprise!)

A little back ground first:
A running joke between fellow BOTL Billy Cigars and myself has been going on for many months now. It all started when I told Bill that I worked with the luckiest cigar smoker alive. After giving this man several higher end cigars, he said he still liked his Don Elias (very inexpensive) cigars better.

Bill and I have joked about them really being Davidoff 2nds and that we better stock up on them now because they are closing them out.

Well yesterday I asked this man to give me a handful of these cigars so I could see what they were like. He gave me 6 Churchills today and I lit one up as soon as I got home tonight and expected that I would be tossing it in an inch or so.

First thing I noticed was that the wrapper did not look the best. There was a place that had a small patch over what was most likely a hole. The cigar was slightly soft, but not spongy.

I clipped it with my Palio and found that it had a nice draw and pleasant prelight flavor.

When I lit the cigar I found that it had a medium amount of smoke and a nice medium body with a hint of citrus.

After a few more puffs it dawned on me that this cigar tasted a lot like a Davidoff. Now granted I haven't smoke a lot of Davidoffs, but the flavors from this cigar were flavors that I have noticed with the Davidoffs I have smoked.

For a cigar that before lighting, I knew I would be throwing away in an inch or so, I was very, very, surprised that I was really enjoying it so much.

I knew that this could not last very long and expected it to turn bad soon.

I was wrong and after smoking a third of it, I had to call Bill and tell him what I was smoking. At first, I don't think that Bill believed me when I told him I was really smoking one and even more unbelievable, I was really liking this cigar.

I will be giving one of these cigars to Bill tomorrow night at our HERF and hope that he might add something to this thread since he is really the Davidoff whore in our group.

Well the bad news about this cigar is that when I smoked 2/3 of it, I had finally had enough and had to put it out. I hadn't had enough of the cigar, I had enough of the cold, since the frost on the ground hadn't melted during the day and the temperature was starting to drop fast when the sun went behind the trees.

The cigar's flavors really didn't change in the first 2/3 of the cigar and might have stayed the same had I been able to smoke the whole thing, I'll need to smoke another one to find out.

The bottom line is, I liked this cigar and will most likely buy some boxes.

If you like Davidoff cigars, this is your yard gar.

If you like Davidoff cigars and don't need to have that perfect wrapper, you can buy 2 boxes of these for the price of 2 or 3 Davidoff cigars.

If you have champagne tastes and an ice water budget, give these a try.

Take care.
Ken
Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Don Elias (What a surprise!)

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!

Those are pretty good for the dough, a really good yard gar.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Been wondering about those, thanks for the info.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Dgar

Good review/story

Glad it worked out for ya' I think if we smoked all our cigars blindly we might be surprised with the cigars we smoked... Dollars spent does not always equate to a great cigar, sometimes those inexpensive cigars, the bundles or cheap smokes gifted to you that you probably would have never purchased can be really Okay... just keep an open mind, toss out any preconcieved ideas and your all good... much esier to talk about than do.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Coz77
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Coz77 is on a distinguished road

Anymore info on these from the asylum...Seem to be enjoying the milder sticks these days might pull the trigger on a box.
Coz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Nice review and story!!!

Thank you!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review and story...thanks!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz77 View Post
Anymore info on these from the asylum...Seem to be enjoying the milder sticks these days might pull the trigger on a box.
On the one hand, considering the price, I don't see how wrong you could go. On the other, as I've seen these on "closeout" for a good two years now - by several vendors - I can't believe they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Just my .
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
coastietech

Where can these be found? And what the normal price for a bundle? I am trying to put a list of cheap bundles to pick up and this may go onto the list along with LHO's and TS #500 Maduro's
Old 08-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Just double-checked, and yes, CI has them for $60-65 for two boxes (50 total) depending on vitola.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Just double-checked, and yes, CI has them for $60-65 for two boxes (50 total) depending on vitola.
What a deal!!...Wish they made these in a maduro.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
What a deal!!...Wish they made these in a maduro.
Thompson has them for about $90 for 2 boxes in maduro.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
Thompson has them for about $90 for 2 boxes in maduro.
Thanks Paul!!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
GHC_Hambone

Might have to try these, I love Davidoffs and for the price they seem like a good deal.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

very good to hear. I just picked up 12 of these a couple weeks ago. I can't wait to try one out now. Thanks for the review!