Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

First Name: Randy
Trading: (9)
JL
jerseystepup is on a distinguished road
Default 5 vegas

I know who blends the miami obviosly. But who blends the other 5 vegas cigars such as the gold and the classic? My father in law loves the gold and I'm looking for an answer for him.
jerseystepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation
Default Re: 5 vegas

I checked around via Google and only found that they are made in Honduras with Dominican and Honduran tobbaco. I can't find the manufacturer.

MCS
Old 09-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

Trading: (9)
JL
jerseystepup is on a distinguished road

Yea that's the same thing I came up with. Hmmmm
jerseystepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Les Nessman
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
Les Nessman is on a distinguished road

I think Nestor Placencia is behind 5 Vegas. I'm not sure if he is responsible for all the blends though. I believe the Limitada was from La Aurora, at least the 2006 blend was.
Les Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Nessman View Post
I think Nestor Placencia is behind 5 Vegas. I'm not sure if he is responsible for all the blends though. I believe the Limitada was from La Aurora, at least the 2006 blend was.

I think it's Nestor.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post

I think it's Nestor.
So does he do the classic, gold, and A series? Or is Nestor just involved with the classic line?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
BigCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
So does he do the classic, gold, and A series? Or is Nestor just involved with the classic line?
I believe he is involved in all of the above, including the cask strength. My info comes from a couple google searches and from a thread I remember on the cbid forums where it was discussed, so take it for what it is worth
Old 09-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
bigheadmark
Uncle Jun, how was Boca?

First Name: MARK
Trading: (1)
bigheadmark is on a distinguished road

I got some 5 vegas classic cigars in a sampler several months ago, and truthfully I was quite disappointed...they were nothing like the 5 vegas gold, which I thought was excellent
bigheadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

I spoke to a customer service rep at CI about the 5 Vegas Gold ... he said that the original blender was Kiki Barber. He said the brand was bought 5 to 8 years ago and that, while the blend may have changed slightly over time (tobacco crops being dynamic things, not static) it hasn't actually ever been re-blended. That's his story anyway.

He also said that CI holds that brand and any you see in B&Ms were purchased from CI then put on the shelves. Has anyone heard that before? I had never heard that before.

Just my two cents.

(Yes, I did call the customer service rep JUST for the purpose of answering this question. I'm a trivia nut and the question intrigued me, plus I'm a little OCD. *shrug* )

EDIT: 800 posts! I'm catching up, icehog3!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadmark View Post
I got some 5 vegas classic cigars in a sampler several months ago, and truthfully I was quite disappointed...they were nothing like the 5 vegas gold, which I thought was excellent
I had the opposite experience. I enjoyed the Classic and thought the Gold was like smoking air.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

The Classic's definitley benefit from some nap time. I found some coronas at the bottom of the humi that were very good. They had been threre a llittle ove a year.

Gold's are my go to morning/first smoke of the day stick.

They aren;t complex by any means. But the entire line is good smoking for little money.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #12
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
You'll never make it.

Insert quote here.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #13
BigCat

Quote:
I spoke to a customer service rep at CI about the 5 Vegas Gold ... he said that the original blender was Kiki Barber. He said the brand was bought 5 to 8 years ago and that, while the blend may have changed slightly over time (tobacco crops being dynamic things, not static) it hasn't actually ever been re-blended. That's his story anyway.

He also said that CI holds that brand and any you see in B&Ms were purchased from CI then put on the shelves. Has anyone heard that before? I had never heard that before.

Just my two cents.

(Yes, I did call the customer service rep JUST for the purpose of answering this question. I'm a trivia nut and the question intrigued me, plus I'm a little OCD. *shrug* )

I sit corrected, I think...the information I referenced with regard to the thread on CBid came from SteveR, another CI customer service rep. Maybe it isn't inconsisten - the guy you spoke to referred to the "original" blender after all. Also, check out http://www.cigar.com/newsletter/archive.asp?a=062007 for the article about visiting with Nestor Placencia, which references his making the 5 vegas gold.

Sometimes I think customer service reps make things up when they don't know the answer to a question...
Old 09-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Sometimes I think customer service reps make things up when they don't know the answer to a question...
I wholeheartedly agree!

I certainly can't vouch for the knowledge of the guy I talked to. Just passing along his info. Besides, I've never heard that CI owned the 5 Vegas brand ... anyone know if that's true?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
BigCat

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree!

I certainly can't vouch for the knowledge of the guy I talked to. Just passing along his info. Besides, I've never heard that CI owned the 5 Vegas brand ... anyone know if that's true?
I believe that to be true - but my sources are the same as referenced above with regard to the blending, so take it for what it's worth
Old 09-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #16
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
I had the opposite experience. I enjoyed the Classic and thought the Gold was like smoking air.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:

Just my two cents.

Whomever you talked to was slightly confused and mixing up cigars.

Kiki Berger / World Tobacco originally blended the Classic. Then World Tobacco went bellyup and CI picked up the brand about 8-10 years ago.

Nestor Plasencia now makes the 5 Vegas Classic in Nicaragua for CI.

Nestor Plasencia blended and manufactures the 5 Vegas Gold (SteveR almost got arrested in the Honduras airport taking back a bundle of samples from Nestor). The 5 Vegas Gold didn't come out until about 5 years ago.

Torano makes the 5 Vegas "A" in Honduras.

5 Vegas Miami is Pepin. Manufactured mostly in his Nicaraguan factory, and there is one that is made in Miami.

Limitada '05, '06, '07 & '08 were blended by Jose Blanco of La Aurora and manufactured by La Aurora in the DR.

The original Cask Strength was also Jose Blanco & La Aurora.

Limitada '09, Cask-II, and Relic were blended by Mauel Quesada of MATASA and manufactured by MATASA.

I can't recall offhand who did the 5 Vegas Shorts. I think it might have been Nestor.

Last edited by T.G; 09-27-2009 at 05:00 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #18
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Kiki Berger / World Tobacco originally blended the Classic. Then World Tobacco went bellyup and CI picked up the brand about 8 years ago.

Nestor Plasencia blended and manufactures the 5 Vegas Gold (SteveR almost got arrested in the Honduras airport taking back a bundle of samples from Nestor). The 5 Vegas Gold didn't come out until about 5 years ago.

5 Vegas Miami is Pepin. Manufactured mostly in his Nicaraguan factory, and there is one that is made in Miami.

Limitada '05, '06, '07 & '08 were blended by Jose Blanco of La Aurora and manufactured by La Aurora in the DR.

Limitada '09, Cask-II, and Relic were blended by Mauel Quesada of MATASA and manufactured by MATASA.

I can't recall offhand who did the 5 Vegas Shorts. I think it might have been Nestor.
Now that's pretty informative. Thanks for digging up the info.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #19
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Kiki Berger / World Tobacco originally blended the Classic. Then World Tobacco went bellyup and CI picked up the brand about 8-10 years ago.

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to T.G again.

Insert quote here.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #20
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to T.G again.
Gotcha covered.