Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Swif

Default Joined a Cigar monthly Club

I just joined a cigar month club to night. Not sure what to expect. I have yet to smoke an Opus X and I will see about order a fee to try them out. I will also try a few others and see if this monthly club thing works out.

What has been your experience with this type of thing?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Joined a Cigar monthly Club

I haven't done it but the general consensus is they send you crap that they cannot get rid of. Also the sticks are apparently not worth what you pay either.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Swif

Well I hope this is not the case, but if many have tried then I guess I will be one that will cancel after my my first shipment.

I hope that I won't have to as I am still try to develop a broader taste. I seem to like the high $ stuff and would like to have a nice mix. I am hoping that this will help. If not I can join the club that tried it out then said, "this is crap".
Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I haven't done it but the general consensus is they send you crap that they cannot get rid of. Also the sticks are apparently not worth what you pay either.
This pretty much sums it up but you never know. You may find something that you like that you'd never have bought.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
thecatch83

I am a premiere red wine club member through KL wines, and I get two awesome bottles a month that I can re buy for cheap and that are highly rated....but I'm afraid of joining a cigar club because I don't want to get stuck with petrified Gurkha and Onyx dog sticks!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Several yrs back my girl gifted me a subscription to the Cigar of the Month club run by cigar.com. It probably wasn't worth the coin but it did expose me to a wide variety of cigars; not all of which were bad. Sure there were many I didn't like, but it allowed me explore different flavor profiles. For example, coming out of that experience I was clear on the concept that I didn't care for a maduro wrapper.

Since you've already joined, sit back and enjoy the ride.
Posted via Mobile Device
massphatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:36 AM   #7
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

I've been a member of the Cigar.com one for two months. I'm not sure it is worth it but there have been a few I enjoy. I wish that there was a more diverse selection. For example, it is apparently Greycliff month this month.
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
Average Joe
Livin' the dream!

First Name: Name
Trading: (10)
Average Joe is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't mind joining one if it had a reputation of not sending crap.

I rarely even buy samplers because it seems there are 3 name brand of cigars, and 1 stick that is cheap junk. I go for the 5 packs and hope for the best.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Worst case scenario, you learn what you DON'T likeright off the bat. And you might do OK. Much better
to hang here, read reviews, shop armed with that knowledge, and or trade with brothers, or buy
fivers from same. I won't lie, though, I did worse. My first week back to cigars back in the early 90s,
I tore up the new-fangled interweb thing signing up for FREE CIGARS. Then later I was like, "Dude,
you're an idiot", lol. "Go BUY you some cigars". That's how I discovered my favorite, the Padrons.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #10
Swif

I joined Cigars Direct in hopes that they send of some decent stuff. It also seemed that they had some decent pricing on the higher end cigars.

I also am interested in buy a La cuba de roma Mia Amor and I fI like the box price did not seem to bad. I also am think that I will try my first opus x from them. If i like there box price seems ok.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #11
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swif View Post
I joined Cigars Direct in hopes that they send of some decent stuff. It also seemed that they had some decent pricing on the higher end cigars.

I also am interested in buy a La cuba de roma Mia Amor and I fI like the box price did not seem to bad. I also am think that I will try my first opus x from them. If i like there box price seems ok.
By all means try as many different sticks as you can, but you would do better to shop around on the high end stuff. Their pricing on Opus seems very high:

Opus xXx single for $23

Old Virgina Tobacco Company (www.ovtc.com) sells this stick for < $12

You could also call http://www.tampasweetheart.com/ for opus prices
Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #12
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I have heard the same thing and they will stalk you forever and continue to charge your card after to try to quit...good luck
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
Swif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
By all means try as many different sticks as you can, but you would do better to shop around on the high end stuff. Their pricing on Opus seems very high:

Opus xXx single for $23

Old Virgina Tobacco Company (www.ovtc.com) sells this stick for < $12

You could also call http://www.tampasweetheart.com/ for opus prices
It looked like the boxes were at a decent price. As far as the single go they do seem a light high.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It looked like the boxes were at a decent price. As far as the single go they do seem a light high.
How can you possibly think these prices are good?!? I realize taxes can be bad in certain states (I live in NY most of the year so I should know) and a lot of shops raise prices quite a bit specifically on opus but these prices are insane!
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
Swif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarGuy88 View Post
How can you possibly think these prices are good?!? I realize taxes can be bad in certain states (I live in NY most of the year so I should know) and a lot of shops raise prices quite a bit specifically on opus but these prices are insane!
Living in CA cigars are high.

Never trying and opus or really looking at them until reading the review here and on line I would say that its was an ok price.

I was in VA D.C. and stopped by a shop and found prices to be about half of what I would pay here in Cali. i talked to the guy to see if he would ship out to me and he said he would.

At the same time I also want to support a local shop that has some good stuff, great knowledge, treats people well and has always provided the wife with some good picks to bring home to me as a surprise.

so I will do some more looking for better deals, but I don't want to worry about receiving old cigars that are dry.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
Swif

Received the first shipment of the month.

2 Gurkha
2 Rocky Patel Vintage 1990
2 5 Vegas
2 Montecristo

I have had a few different Montecristos' before and like them. Not sure on the rest. I will find out soon on the others.

What are your guys' thoughts.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
thecatch83

Gurkha's and 5 Vegas are goat tirds, Vintage 90's are decent every day smokes and NC cristo's are nice depending on what you got.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #18
swh127
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
swh127 is on a distinguished road

I have been a member of 3 cigar of the month clubs for about 3-4 years now. They offered me a chance to try a wide variety of sticks to see what I like. To be honest I am going to quit all of them in the next few months because I now know what I like and don't like in a cigar. If you have never been a member of one I would stay with it for a few months to try new cigars. However if your willing to do the research and buy 5 packs yourself you will probably save money in the long run doing it on your own.
swh127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #19
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Received the first shipment of the month.

2 Gurkha Dog Rockets
2 Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Cheap daily smokes, they are OKAY
2 5 Vegas depending on which ones, probably cheap daily smokes again
2 Montecristo Probably the best of the bunch, depending on which ones

I have had a few different Montecristos' before and like them. Not sure on the rest. I will find out soon on the others.

What are your guys' thoughts.
The Gurkha's are worthless, $3 a piece if you can bring yourself to smoke them.
The Patels are probably $3 a piece
The 5 Vegas are probably $3 a piece
Montecristo's might be $4-5 a piece

More information on which 5 vegas/monte's you got would help.

All and all you got some daily smokes to try, depending on your budget that can be a good or a bad thing. If you only like spending $40-85 bucks on a box it seems this cigar monthly thing would bring you a bunch of daily smokes. You could continue it to try and decide on box purchases or 5'ers if that is the price range you like. If you don't mind spending $5-$10 per cigar then I would say you should cancel your subscription.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #20
Swif

Gurkha Legend
montecristo is the brown label with looks like a #2 with a dark warper. (torpedo)
5 vegas limitada

Spend some time reading a couple reviews on this and I an not impressed. I guess I had to make the rookie mistake.