Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 07-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #2801
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I assumed price, although pour size is also good info to have (assuming 1.5-2oz)
Old 07-29-2021, 10:36 AM   #2802
The camaro show
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chayse
Trading: (1)
VR
The camaro show will become famous soon enough

Prices

Says 1.75 Oz so pretty decent pour
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:37 AM   #2803
The camaro show
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chayse
Trading: (1)
VR
The camaro show will become famous soon enough

Would most likely be in a old fashioned if that changes anything
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:20 PM   #2804
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
I assumed price, although pour size is also good info to have (assuming 1.5-2oz)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
Prices

Says 1.75 Oz so pretty decent pour
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #2805
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
Would most likely be in a old fashioned if that changes anything
Maybe keep it to the under $10 options. I've had some good Old Fashioneds with nicer booze, and they do sometimes elevate the drink, but you're not gonna get a good feel for the underlying whiskey. Also always a good option to ask the bartender what they prefer for their Old Fashioneds, I've had a few where they give me some surprising answers so I usually just let them run with it. My favorite is going to a nice cocktail bar and saying "I want something like an Old Fashioned, but not an Old Fashioned, and maybe some some X (honey, orange, whatever you're in the mood for) in it." Gotta trust the bartender but if they know what they're doing you'll usually end up with something delicious
Old 07-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #2806
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Do Any Of You Agree With These Choices???
https://www.gearpatrol.com/food/drin.../best-bourbon/
Old 07-29-2021, 04:09 PM   #2807
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Ben: When You Get A Chance, Can You List The Good Wheated Vs. Corn Bourbons??? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #2808
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

Headed to Bourbon KY
Old 07-29-2021, 06:46 PM   #2809
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Do Any Of You Agree With These Choices???
https://www.gearpatrol.com/food/drin.../best-bourbon/
It's a good list but I would pick a different "cheap" bourbon

Best Cheap Bourbon: Evan Williams Black Label

I would prefer Old Forester's Bottled in Bond or Wild Turkey 101. Both can be found around $20 a bottle typically.

The regular Four Roses often gets the best mixer but it is also an inexpensive one with a different profile from the two listed above.

A lot depends on your preference here but you can often find a lot of good bourbons from the larger distillers in the lower priced range that are better than the latest small batch boutique label that sources a young bourbon and slaps a label on it.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #2810
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Thanks, Jay!
Old 07-30-2021, 06:54 AM   #2811
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

A few thoughts- I'm not a believer in these types of lists generally but this one at least hits a couple places. Best overall as Knob Creek is fair and I'm a fan, Evan Williams white (bottled in bond) is a world better than black, the ones in the "affordable" category are all good pours, the "high-end" section is all over the place but mostly on track. In general there's really nothing on the list that will disappoint. And if you find the "Grail Bourbon" at the bottom William Larue Weller please give me a call
Old 07-30-2021, 07:10 AM   #2812
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
A few thoughts- I'm not a believer in these types of lists generally but this one at least hits a couple places. Best overall as Knob Creek is fair and I'm a fan, Evan Williams white (bottled in bond) is a world better than black, the ones in the "affordable" category are all good pours, the "high-end" section is all over the place but mostly on track. In general there's really nothing on the list that will disappoint. And if you find the "Grail Bourbon" at the bottom William Larue Weller please give me a call
Thanks, Brother!. I Still Haven't Found Which Of Your Favorites Are More Wheat Vs. More Corn.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:27 AM   #2813
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Any "Bourbon" will be at least 51% corn, actual wheat whiskeys are another hole to go down but that hole isn't as deep. I like wheated bourbons a lot, there aren't a ton of them out there, mostly Weller and Makers Mark. I'm a big fan of Makers, especially 46 Cask Strength (the 101 is pretty good too). Weller is... Weller, if you can get it get whatever you can but don't overspend, I personally am a huge fan of Old Weller Antique 107 but have a couple nice Weller Full Proofs, those ones took a lot of patience (and in one case a sizable charitable donation) but they can be really good, or really average depending on the barrel
Old 07-30-2021, 07:35 AM   #2814
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Any "Bourbon" will be at least 51% corn, actual wheat whiskeys are another hole to go down but that hole isn't as deep. I like wheated bourbons a lot, there aren't a ton of them out there, mostly Weller and Makers Mark. I'm a big fan of Makers, especially 46 Cask Strength (the 101 is pretty good too). Weller is... Weller, if you can get it get whatever you can but don't overspend, I personally am a huge fan of Old Weller Antique 107 but have a couple nice Weller Full Proofs, those ones took a lot of patience (and in one case a sizable charitable donation) but they can be really good, or really average depending on the barrel
So Knob Creek, Four Roses, & Most Of Your Other Suggested Bourbons Are The Higher Corn Variety???
Old 07-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #2815
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

They are all primarily corn, that being said there's a lot of room for playing around with that remaining 49%. Four Roses has two different mashbills, one 20% rye and one 35% rye (blends will usually have both), MGP is similar with 21% rye and 36% rye, Knob Creek is higher corn with only 13% rye. This list isn't exhaustive but can give you a general idea of what a lot of the bigger ones are doing for their mash. Also keep in mind that the time in the barrel likely has more impact on the final product than the mash, but everything plays together to get you to what you taste when you pour it in a glass
Old 07-30-2021, 09:15 AM   #2816
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

That's What I Needed, Ben,Thanks!
Old 07-30-2021, 09:40 AM   #2817
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Since I'm An Old Fart With No Mind Left, Explain The Numbers After The Whiskey???
I think it's the price of a pour at the joint Chayse is talking about.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:19 AM   #2818
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I think it's the price of a pour at the joint Chayse is talking about.
Got It!
Old 08-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #2819
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

SNKBYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #2820
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Found A New Bourbon At Costco To Try:

Here's TheStory That Seemed Interesting To Me:
https://www.insidehook.com/article/b...ew-mcconaughey