Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Backup hard drive question

This is for Mac.

I want to network a backup HDD and have joined my old Airport Extreme to my current network to do so.

Option 1
If I buy an external drive, is it OK to just leave it plugged in? I would buy something similar to this.

Option 2
I have a WD Scorpio Black 2.5" drive that I got back on warranty. Is there an external enclosure I can buy that has an auto on/off feature?

What do you think is the better option?
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Backup hard drive question

I have a Mac and use Time machine to back the system up automatically. I have 2 external HDDs and I don't power off them off.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I don't mean to be argumentitive but online backup is better. Mozy or Carbonite will cost you $50/year and offer unlimited data backup, encrypted, to their datacenter. You can retrieve files online from anywhere should you need to. That way, even if your house burns down, you have your data.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

backing up over wireless and usb? wow - i hope your incrementals are small
Old 09-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Online backup is an always backing up process. Whenever you're online it's backing up. Once it has a good copy it only backs up change data. I'm sure it de-dupe's as well.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

I have two $50 350gb hard drives. I just swap them out weekly, and drop off the most recently backed up at the safe deposit box, and take the one that was there home to update the following week. I've thought about an online backup at some point, as it seems like it might be simpler.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

When I backup temporarily, I use pencil. It's organic also. When I wish a more permanent copy, I switch to ink.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
cigarcuts

There is nothing wrong with leaving an external hard drive powered on. Automatic sync requires it.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I have a Mac and use Time machine to back the system up automatically. I have 2 external HDDs and I don't power off them off.
Good to know. This is what I thought, but I have only ever had one in a drawer I pulled out once a month to backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I don't mean to be argumentitive but online backup is better. Mozy or Carbonite will cost you $50/year and offer unlimited data backup, encrypted, to their datacenter. You can retrieve files online from anywhere should you need to. That way, even if your house burns down, you have your data.
Thought about it, but is it truly unlimited? I have 200GB alone in music files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
backing up over wireless and usb? wow - i hope your incrementals are small
Yes....they first backup will take forever, but the incrementals will be very small. I'd set it up to backup overnight anyway.

Thanks guys!

I had a very close call a couple months ago where I lost both the main drive and the backup while I was doing a backup. I was able to recover 95% of it from different sources, but now I am paranoid. Since memory is getting so cheap, I plan to have the backup run weekly. Then a 2nd & 3rd backup drive once a month.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
What do you think of time machine? Every have any hiccups? I use Carbon Copy right now, but since time machine is built in....
Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
What do you think of time machine? Every have any hiccups? I use Carbon Copy right now, but since time machine is built in....
No problems at all with Time Machine.
To be honest though, I have never had to do a full restore.
It is really easy to go back in time and recover individual files.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

FWIW, I really don't like the idea of online back up. Something about someone having all of my files can't be a good thing.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
No problems at all with Time Machine.
To be honest though, I have never had to do a full restore.
It is really easy to go back in time and recover individual files.
I use Time Machine, also, with a 500 GB Buffalo HD. I plug it in once a month to backup. I don't use the computer a lot and probably don't have don't have much to add each month. Never have had to call on it's function to restore, but the reviews are good and I have all the confidence in it. BTW, I unplug my computer during storms, even though it's on a surge protector. The HD gets unplugged each time between monthly backups.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Thought about it, but is it truly unlimited? I have 200GB alone in music files.
Apparently Mozy dropped the unlimited offer but Carbonite hasn't.

http://www.carbonite.com/en/home/online-backup-pricing

$59/year
Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
FWIW, I really don't like the idea of online back up. Something about someone having all of my files can't be a good thing.

Wrong image/icon, it's this one

BTW, if they really want your data they can get it.

The reason I like online backup is it's offsite and it's all the time. I have to protect data for my company. Facts are if a business loses a physical site they go bankrupt or out of business within a year over half the time. So, it's important to have your data at a nother site in case of fire, flood, storm, metor, whatever. Same of your data. If it's important enough to backup to another hard drive, why not put it on a hard drive in a 24/7 manned datacenter on enterprise class hardware which is highly redundant, & is backed up itself. You think Carbonite or Mozy (EMC owned) is going to xcopy your data onto a SATA drive they bought at BB for $50? Not a chance. It's going to be put into a storage array that probably cost more than your house, which will be mirrored to another storage array costing the same, often on opposite ends of the country. For $60/year it's hard to argue with service like that.

Last edited by 357; 09-14-2012 at 11:11 AM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote