Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #741
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

How can I sterilize a used pipe?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #742
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
How can I sterilize a used pipe?
I use 91% isopropyl alcohol, a q-tip, cotton swap and pipe cleaners.
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #743
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
I use 91% isopropyl alcohol , a q-tip, cotton swap and pipe cleaners.
You can put the 91% isopropyl alcohol directly onto all surfaces?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #744
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
You can put the 91% isopropyl alcohol directly onto all surfaces?
Not on the outside of the bowl, unless you're prepared to refinish the pipe. Everything else, yep. If toxicity is your concern, it evaporates quicky enough that this isn't a problem, though I prefer to use drinkable high-test stuff.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #745
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Do not, repeat, do not us isopropyl alcohol. That stuff does nasty things to briar, so the next time you smoke it, you can crack your pipe. Doesn't happen all the time, but... It will also whiten vulcanite stems.

Get yourself some Everclear, grain alcohol.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #746
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

In fact, I do believe there was a post somewhere in this thread about pipe cleaning/sterilizing.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #747
Thrak

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Do not, repeat, do not us isopropyl alcohol. That stuff does nasty things to briar, so the next time you smoke it, you can crack your pipe. Doesn't happen all the time, but... It will also whiten vulcanite stems.

Get yourself some Everclear, grain alcohol.

Yeah I dont put it on the wood, just the stem, then after it airs out for a while I put a light coat of olive oil on for 10mins, then wipe dry.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #748
trendo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Troy
Trading: (16)
trendo is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, thanks for all the great information. I tried pipe smoking a couple of years ago....got a grabow and some cornel and diehl. I was having problems keeping it lit, I used the loading technique listed here, but i suspect the tobacco was too wet. I found the tobacco in a closet the other day and was thinking of giving it another shot. I had two questions.....is the tobacco still good? It was in its original container for the past two years, it has a lid, but it has been opened in the past. Second, I understand that you should not store pipe tobak in a humid enviorment, I live in hawaii and the RH inside my house varies from 65 to 75 percent. Will my tobacco always be to wet?

Thanks guys, sorry if the humidity thing has already been brought up, I looked through a bunch of pages and didnt see anything.
trendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #749
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Troy the tobacco is probably fine. You can try drying the tobacco out by laying out a bowls worth and putting it under a desk lamp, or goose neck lamp. Let it go for 10 minutes, and then check it every 5hour after that.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #750
trendo
Still Watching My Back

Thanks for all the help guys. I made an attempt at the pipe again, loaded it in accordance to the forum, and did a first and second light. There was very little smoke production, and unless I was tamping on every draw, it would go out within a couple of puffs. Also, the bowl sounded like I was frying bacon in it. I imagine the frying sound was the tobacco being too wet, so I put some in the fridge for about 5 hours (I don't have a lamp). This time the sound was gone, but I still cannot keep it lit for more than a few puffs, with very little smoke production. Finally I gave up and lit a cigar.

Any Ideas guys?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #751
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Troy, at a guess, I'd say your packing method is your problem - maybe too tight or too loose could cause that problem. From your description, I'd say too tight.

Do you have pipe shop nearby, one with an experienced pipe smoker working in it? The best suggestion I can give is to find one and get some hands-on advice on your technique.

By the way, what kind of pipe is it?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #752
trendo
Still Watching My Back

its a grabow rivera. its possible that it is too loose. There is virtually no resistance on the draw. There is no pipe shops on maui, but I am sure I will get it eventually. I am also used to cigars which you draw only once a minute. Do you need to be constantly puffing on a pipe?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #753
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Yeah you'll want to puff a little more often than that. Also check out the frank method on youtube it really helped me get my pipe filling nailed down when I started.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #754
trendo
Still Watching My Back

Thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #755
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
...That stuff does nasty things to briar, so the next time you smoke it, you can crack your pipe. Doesn't happen all the time, but...
Is this amply demonstrated or is this hearsay? I ask because I have used unscented isopropyl 91% for sterilizing and destinking bowls/stem interchageably with Everclear 190-proof and never had problem 1. Only problem I ever heard of (for sure) with iso was from folks who fouled pipes with alcohol that had scent- or bittering agents.

I think a clear, definitive evalution of iso is important as many among us are unable or unwilling to purchase grain alcohol. I'm not sure I know about one.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #756
Thrak

HUpmann

Question : What does "drinkless" mean?

I see pipes from different makers say "drinkless" and I have no idea what its referring to.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #757
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Is this amply demonstrated or is this hearsay? I ask because I have used unscented isopropyl 91% for sterilizing and destinking bowls/stem interchageably with Everclear 190-proof and never had problem 1. Only problem I ever heard of (for sure) with iso was from folks who fouled pipes with alcohol that had scent- or bittering agents.

I think a clear, definitive evalution of iso is important as many among us are unable or unwilling to purchase grain alcohol. I'm not sure I know about one.
I have had a pipe crack from the "salt" method, and a friend had one crack after using unscented isopropyl.

Now, to be fair, it might have been the duration of the soak which caused the problem in both cases. I got a phone call and the salt/alcohol sat for nearly 4 hours (instead of like 20 min.). It dried the briar out immensely and I heard an audible pop when the bowl cracked. I believe my buddy had the same problem, falling asleep after setting up his soak - coming back to it hours later.

You don't need Everclear. In fact, I normally use a clear rum or vodka. I used cotton balls instead of salt to fill my pipe. And, I can let it sit overnight. I am able to remove quite a bit of cake, and what is left is highly malleable. It does need to dry a couple days. But, it can be smoked with no ill effects.

If you can use isopropyl alcohol and pay attention to what you are doing, not getting distracted - I think you'll be OK.

I use the other method because sometimes "life happens" and if it does, I know everything will be cool whenever I get back to it.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #758
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
Question : What does "drinkless" mean?

I see pipes from different makers say "drinkless" and I have no idea what its referring to.
It is referring to the system in the pipe. Best information is to go to the manufacturing company's website and look it up, they'll give a better description.

Personally, the Peterson system, the drinkless system, and other things (filters, etc.) in the stem and/or mortise and tenon, are simply attempts to make up for lazy smoking technique and fear of using pipe cleaners.

In fact, some of those "systems" are actually a hindrance to a great smoke as they foul up natural air flow. They also trap things (tars, water, etc..) which are often highly flavored by the tobacco that was smoked previously. Then, if you smoke a different tobacco, those "flavors" trapped there are imparted to the present tobacco being smoked.

Just my

By the way, if you put your two cents in and someone gives you a penny for your thoughts, where does that other penny go?

Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #759
Thrak

HUpmann

Quote:
It is referring to the system in the pipe. Best information is to go to the manufacturing company's website and look it up, they'll give a better description.

Personally, the Peterson system, the drinkless system, and other things (filters, etc.) in the stem and/or mortise and tenon, are simply attempts to make up for lazy smoking technique and fear of using pipe cleaners.

In fact, some of those "systems" are actually a hindrance to a great smoke as they foul up natural air flow. They also trap things (tars, water, etc..) which are often highly flavored by the tobacco that was smoked previously. Then, if you smoke a different tobacco, those "flavors" trapped there are imparted to the present tobacco being smoked.
Ahh, so its a filter system then...

Quote:

Just my

By the way, if you put your two cents in and someone gives you a penny for your thoughts, where does that other penny go?
Taxes. The gov always gets their share...
Old 03-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #760
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road

In my little corncob pipe, do I need to worry about cleaning the bowl out before switching tobaccos?

I have read something talking about aromatics possibly ruining good Virginia tobaccos if you don't clean your bowl between packing them, but I have what I believe to be aromatics as they are scented tobaccos, but they say they are made from Virginia tobacco, that confuses me.