Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough
Default Blackberry or Iphone

This will be my personal phone, but also my business phone. Right now i use palm desktop software on my computer, I like that it can store all my contacts, addresses, appointments, reminders, etc, and the ease of use. When i go on sales trips i print appointments on paper etc. My primary use will be for business, I want to have quick access to all my customers, and also have a phone. Wondering from business peoples experiences what the best way to go is. I sure like the iphone for it's fun stuff and toys, but is it functional for business? What's the best way to go?
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Blackberry or Iphone

I have a blackberry for work but have messed with iphones and I would go with the latter! You can do anything you can dream up with it
Old 04-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
ABNMP619

Hey,
Have you looked at the HP iPAQ 900 Small Business Messenger? I was looking at this phone to use for all my business stuff, plus it allows me to keep all my personal stuff on their as well. Plus it has all the Microsoft Excel, Power Point and all that stuff. Check it out.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

BlackBerry if you do a lot of texting.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
GarlicBreath
is eating fiber

First Name: Tony
Trading: (37)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
GarlicBreath is on a distinguished road

I don't own an iPhone but I do have a Touch and a BB Bold, I love having real buttons, I hate the keyboard on the Touch, which is an iphone without the phone and camera part.
GarlicBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

I definately text and email a lot - the hp ipaq - interesting. MY carrier has the HP iPAQ 910c
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

i have a blackberry, works for the most part...i find the msn messenger times out alot, sometimes kicks you off...other then that, works good
Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

iPhone if ATT is okay in your area and if you want WiFi (BB Storm doesn't have it)
Old 04-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

my city has rogers (rogers.com) telus (telusmobility.ca) and mts (mts.ca)
Old 04-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

my dad has a blackberry world edition he uses for work and he likes it. But the Iphone just looks plain badass with tons of things you can do with it. Can you get the internet at all times with the Iphone or is it just when you can get wi fi?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Raralith
Death to the Unbelievers

Trading: (24)
Bolivar
Raralith is on a distinguished road

I had a Blackberry and switched to an iPhone and it's pretty amazing. I did try the Bold before the iPhone and as others have pointed out, having a physical keyboard is very nice. Typing on the iPhone isn't that bad, and fortunately the auto-correct is quite good. What really set it apart from me though is the apps because some of them are absolutely amazing. My plan though and though was a lot more than the Bold.
Raralith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

iPhone all the way!
You can get the internet at all times as long as you have cell signal, bonus if you have 3G in your area.
With the app store you essentially have a pocket sized computer that will get better with the 3.0 OS upgrade!
Texting is a little awkward for the first two texts then you'll have it down and you'll not even care about buttons!
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Do you have Exchange/Outlook at work? If so I wouldn't use either BlackBerry or iPhone, but rather Windows Mobile.

If you tell us what carrier you're going through I can make some suggestions. I have the Samsung Omnia on Verizon. It has Active Synch (e-mail is pushed to my phone, it doesn't have to retrieve it), a 5MP camera, 8GB on board storage with 16GB microSDHC I added, MS Word/Excel/Outlook, IE 6, Opera Web browser, a business card reader that uses OCR to make a new contact from each business card, FM Tuner, TV Out with capability to play DivX movies, and video/photo editors. Not to mention all the free apps out there.

Best part is it cost me $100 after mail in rebate ($70).
Old 04-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

iPhone FTW
Old 04-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
houdini
Life is Beautiful........

Trading: (21)
Trinidad
houdini is on a distinguished road

Blackberry.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #16
AllOGistics

Right now I prefer the blackberry for business purposes. I know a lot of Blackberry users that love the keyboard but are a little jealous of the lack of applications. The apps for the iPhone are a huge plus. I probably would get an iPhone if it had a flip-out keyboard. That way it would have both a touchscreen and physical keys. Also, I know a lot of people prefer the e-mail on the Blackberry. It wouldn't take much for Apple to make some improvements to their e-mail. I think that they would win a lot of Blackberry fans if they made those changes.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #17
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Do you have Exchange/Outlook at work? If so I wouldn't use either BlackBerry or iPhone, but rather Windows Mobile.

If you tell us what carrier you're going through I can make some suggestions. I have the Samsung Omnia on Verizon. It has Active Synch (e-mail is pushed to my phone, it doesn't have to retrieve it), a 5MP camera, 8GB on board storage with 16GB microSDHC I added, MS Word/Excel/Outlook, IE 6, Opera Web browser, a business card reader that uses OCR to make a new contact from each business card, FM Tuner, TV Out with capability to play DivX movies, and video/photo editors. Not to mention all the free apps out there.

Best part is it cost me $100 after mail in rebate ($70).
I have entourage on the mac side of my laptop, but I have winxp on here too, so i can get any software really. The biggest things for me, are texting/emailing, and contact/address book ease of organization. The carrier i will likely use is rogers in canada: http://rogers.com
Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #18
Seanohue
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Sean
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Seanohue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post
iPhone FTW
Seanohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #19
SilverFox

Anything that is text heavy

Texting,

Emails

Documents

By far the BBerry

as for surfing capability of multimedia apps then Iphone.

Went to the Iphone when it came out, quickly learned that in my world the touch keypad was a source of extreme frustration so back to my curve.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
potlimit
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
PL
potlimit is on a distinguished road

I agree with the Fox... I love the apps on iphone, but the frustration associated with texting almost makes it necessary to keep a bottle of blood pressure meds handy. The new BBerry curve and Bold are awesome phones. I have a curve now, and it's excellent. And before that I had the 8830, another top notch phone.

Business - BBerry

Media/Persona - iphone
potlimit is offline   Reply With Quote