Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #201
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 2012 Fantasy Baseball For Stakes And The Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I can see that, too.
10 years ago I barely had time to sit down and watch a football game let alone do all that crunching. I enjoy it now because I have forced downtime. Now I enjoy it so much I'd struggle to make time even if I didn't have any.
I made time because it was one of my favorite hobbies. Sleep? Who needed it? I was young, dumb, and didn't know any better. Now I'm old and covet naptime.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #202
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I made time because it was one of my favorite hobbies. Sleep? Who needed it? I was young, dumb, and didn't know any better. Now I'm old and covet naptime.
Heard that. I'm under doctor's orders to sleep 10-14 hours a day. I literally laughed, I couldn't help it.
I banged out a solid 7 hours last night, I can run on that for 3 more days, I can go right back to 5 hours or so with an occasional nap.

Did you guys find an app for 2012 Yahoo Fantasy Baseball? I was looking, I came up with nothing. I'd think they'd have something ready by now?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #203
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Did you guys find an app for 2012 Yahoo Fantasy Baseball? I was looking, I came up with nothing. I'd think they'd have something ready by now?
Android Market had it out a few days ago. Take that fanyboi. Neener neener...
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #204
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Fantasy Monster manages your team onYahoo.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #205
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Never did baseball back then but I remember getting the weekly fantasy football scoring updates in the mail on Tuesday. 10 pages of spreadsheets to go over. Free agent pick-ups were a pain and trades took 3 phone calls minimum.

Now there's an ap for that. Downloading now.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #206
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
Never did baseball back then but I remember getting the weekly fantasy football scoring updates in the mail on Tuesday. 10 pages of spreadsheets to go over. Free agent pick-ups were a pain and trades took 3 phone calls minimum.
Getting the USA Today on Monday morning was of upmost importance to see how many points you scored. And yes, making trades was like pulling teeth. Our commissioner actually set up a, "teenager line" which was used for free agent pickups. You'd leave a message on the answering machine stating who you wanted to drop and who you wanted to pick up. First come, first serve.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #207
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I grabbed fantasy monster. It'll work for everything, all my teams. Nice.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #208
thecatch83

Scott, did you receive my message?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #209
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Woohoo!
Tied for first!
Do we divy up the winnings now or do we have to wait?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #210
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
Scott, did you receive my message?
Just replied, Ty. Sorry it took me so long.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #211
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I just realized Outs is a pretty stupid category. It may as well be innings pitched.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #212
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
I just realized Outs is a pretty stupid category. It may as well be innings pitched.
Kind of like counting hits, then breaking up each individual kind of hit one could have into its own unique category?

Personally I'm not a fan of relief wins. We're rewarding mediocrity.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #213
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Kind of like counting hits, then breaking up each individual kind of hit one could have into its own unique category?

Personally I'm not a fan of relief wins. We're rewarding mediocrity.
The pitcher gets a point for every out that happens when he's on the field.
if he's out there for 7 innings, he gets 21 outs. 7 1/3, he gets 22 outs. It's just a pointless category, or at least directly mirrors IP.
At least with relief wins the guy generally holds the opponent's score while allowing his team to take the lead and win.
I didn't look at the box score for last night's game, but my pitcher gave up one run in 7 innings and didn't get the W. I'm guessing it was tied going into the 8th? I'm not sure who got the W, middle relief or the closer. The way W's are scored has always baffled me, anyways.

I suppose since we don't have an inninings pitched category, outs are just the same, and we needed something in there.
Strategically, a guy is taking a risk to try to win that category, so it's good.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #214
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
At least with relief wins the guy generally holds the opponent's score while allowing his team to take the lead and win.
I'd say more often than not a reliever blew a lead and his team bailed him out, thus preserving the win; or was already behind and his team rallied for the win and he just so happened to be the last pitcher on the mound.
Quote:
I didn't look at the box score for last night's game, but my pitcher gave up one run in 7 innings and didn't get the W. I'm guessing it was tied going into the 8th? I'm not sure who got the W, middle relief or the closer. The way W's are scored has always baffled me, anyways.
I believe the game went 11 innings, Scott. So even if he was losing when he was pulled (which he wasn't; I believe the game was tied at that point) he wouldn't have received the loss because he didn't surrender the winning run.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #215
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Game was tied until the 11th with RBIs by Ackley and Ichiro in the top.

Tom Wilhemson got the W, Brandon League the S. Ackley also had a solo HR.

This was probably answered earlier but I don't see it...what are we doing with the 40 inning min week one? Site states that if we don't hit 40 innings, we forfeit all pitching categories but there are many teams that only play 3 games week one. The minimum may be tough to hit here.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #216
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
This was probably answered earlier but I don't see it...what are we doing with the 40 inning min week one? Site states that if we don't hit 40 innings, we forfeit all pitching categories but there are many teams that only play 3 games week one. The minimum may be tough to hit here.
This period goes until April 8th, Matt.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #217
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM

Quote:
This period goes until April 8th, Matt.
With the exception of Seattle and the Yankees (5 games) and Miami and St. Louis (4 games) all other major league teams play 3 games in the first scoring period. The 40 inning minimum is going to be a problem.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #218
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
With the exception of Seattle and the Yankees (5 games) and Miami and St. Louis (4 games) all other major league teams play 3 games in the first scoring period. The 40 inning minimum is going to be a problem.
Scott posted this the other day, Matt.
Quote:
There's a minimum number of innings (40) a team has to pitch or they forfeit their wins for the week. I always wondered if that means you'd lose all the stats from your pitchers, and it does not. It's just W's.
A guy could use all closer and middle relief and keep their era and whip down, win saves, and be in real good shape for the week if he didn't even pitch a starter, so I always wondered why that rule is even in place. But it is.
I'd reckon if a team went reliever heavy, they're not too concerned about the Wins category in the first place.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #219
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM

Quote:
Scott posted this the other day, Matt.

I'd reckon if a team went reliever heavy, they're not too concerned about the Wins category in the first place.
I knew I saw something on this earlier just couldn't find it. Thanks Stephen!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #220
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

How about FIP (fielding independant pitching)? Is that an option? I agree, I don't really like outs or relief wins as scoring categories. Holds can be considered if there are going to be middle relievers used a lot in this league. Just throwing out some other options.