Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #161
Vitis

Default Re: The Wine Thread

You're a lucky man and your GF has good taste. Wow is right on those older Loosen Rieslings. Ernst has been here quite a few times working on his Eroica project with Chateau St Michelle but I have not yet been fortunate enough to meet him. Hopefuly in the future.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #162
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitis View Post
You're a lucky man and your GF has good taste. Wow is right on those older Loosen Rieslings. Ernst has been here quite a few times working on his Eroica project with Chateau St Michelle but I have not yet been fortunate enough to meet him. Hopefuly in the future.
I like Ch. St. Michelle in the value category. I've had some 50's German wines that were incredible as long as the bottle was finished within an hour of opening.

Tokay is my favorite in the sweet whites, but this night pictured below was a fun one (taken at last years Passover).

Old 12-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #163
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

Trading: (3)
aldukes is on a distinguished road

just another normal night with a 70 y'quem......
aldukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #164
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldukes View Post
just another normal night with a 70 y'quem......
Ya, just another night... Then we retired to the saloon with some port

Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #165
Vitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I like Ch. St. Michelle in the value category. I've had some 50's German wines that were incredible as long as the bottle was finished within an hour of opening.
Yup, auslese level sugar and tons of sulfur keep these things for a while. I decant very young Prum to try and blow off the sulfur stank. I guess thats the price you pay for whites that can age so well.

Quote:
Tokay is my favorite in the sweet whites
You and me both brother. When the iron curtain fell and we started getting the 93s in Boston I was blown away. Seems like the quality is getting better every vintage since communism

Quote:
, but this night pictured below was a fun one (taken at last years Passover).
Nice my friend. As a stranger in a strange land out here in the west without family, I spend Passover with a friend of mine's family each year. he has a very fine cellar, but collects top end small batch Kosher wine all year just for the Seders. Really fun drinking kosher Ch. Giscours and Léoville Poyferré etc. I look forward to it every year.

Cheers all

~Vitis
Old 12-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #166
Vitis

Hey, moses, just noticed the years on the Noval Nacional and Noval. Those are interesting years. Didn't most houses not declare in 82 and 84? I only have 83s and 85s.

~Vitis
Old 12-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #167
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Hey, moses, just noticed the years on the Noval Nacional and Noval. Those are interesting years. Didn't most houses not declare in 82 and 84? I only have 83s and 85s.

~Vitis
Ya, they are all odd ball years hence us pairing them together that day. I think Nacional also has '83 which I've had a couple of times. The Sandeman was probably the last good year they did until '94. Noval/Nacional beat to their own drummer. If you can find the '80 Sandeman, buy all you can.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #168
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
You and me both brother. When the iron curtain fell and we started getting the 93s in Boston I was blown away. Seems like the quality is getting better every vintage since communism
Tokay is just getting super high premiums at auction. Just out of reach for me. Sauternes is still a buy if you don't buy Y'Quem.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #169
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

One of the shops around here just got a ton of Prum in- thinking about picking up one of each:

2006 Prum, J. J. Riesling Auslese Wehlener Sonnenuhr

2006 Prum, J. J. Riesling Auslese Zeltinger Sonnenuhr

Had the '05s a while back- really enjoyed them

Last edited by aldukes; 12-18-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #170
Vitis

Good man Aldukes, very hard to wrong with Prum Auslese. If you're only buying one of each, you better have a lot patiance as these are going to start getting good in like 15years or so. Id think about getting 2of the same so at least you can try one in 5-8 years and know what youve got. These may be very sulfury if you open one now.

That being said, these are cream of the crop. I have had tons of Wehlener Sonnenuhr and it always pretty great. Top vineyard and big dog in the Mosel. I have not had too many Zeltingers and it seems harder to find Prums version. Theoretical could be a little riper and less mineraly but thats a guess. The vineyards are basicaly adjacent (as is Wehelen and Zeltingen)

PS: Sonnenuhr means "sundial" and there is a big clock about halfway down the vineyard slope.

~Vitis
Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #171
Vitis

All this Riesling talk is making me THIRSTY! (it's only 8:30am ) We're having a rare snowstorm in Seattle and it looks like I may be in for the day. If so, this 375 of 98 Molitor Graacher Himmelreich Auslese will be the afternoon sipper.

Cheers

~Vitis
Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #172
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

Quote:
Good man Aldukes, very hard to wrong with Prum Auslese. If you're only buying one of each, you better have a lot patiance as these are going to start getting good in like 15years or so. Id think about getting 2of the same so at least you can try one in 5-8 years and know what youve got. These may be very sulfury if you open one now.

That being said, these are cream of the crop. I have had tons of Wehlener Sonnenuhr and it always pretty great. Top vineyard and big dog in the Mosel. I have not had too many Zeltingers and it seems harder to find Prums version. Theoretical could be a little riper and less mineraly but thats a guess. The vineyards are basicaly adjacent (as is Wehelen and Zeltingen)

PS: Sonnenuhr means "sundial" and there is a big clock about halfway down the vineyard slope.

~Vitis
Looks like I might be able to get these in 375's- 2 of each is a good possibility
I wish I had a cellar.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #173
Vitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldukes View Post
Looks like I might be able to get these in 375's- 2 of each is a good possibility
!! nice !!, thats a great way to go
Old 12-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #174
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

Quick question: Has anyone ever been to one of those franchise wineries where you can buy a batch of wine? Any luck with those? Let me know.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #175
Vitis

I haven't Danny, what are you trying to get though? is it several cases of wine that you buy before it is made?

BTW, nice cigar blog

~Vitis
Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #176
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

http://www.crushpadwine.com/

They have an adopt a barrel program
Old 12-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #177
Vitis

Hmm, seems like alot of $$ to buy 25cases of wine you haven't tasted yet. At $19-36 a bottle Id rather but something with a bit of a track record.

~Vitis
Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #178
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

Montecristo

Well you get to try the wine you're getting before hand. Once you select the blend you want you spread the yeast over the grape juice and they take care of the rest. It makes about 28-30 bottles of wine. When it is ready for bottling(6-12 weeks) you have a bottling party with your friends and you get to make custom labels. I got this gift for my GF, just wondering is anyone else has ever done this?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #179
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

Montecristo

Quote:
I haven't Danny, what are you trying to get though? is it several cases of wine that you buy before it is made?

BTW, nice cigar blog

~Vitis
Thanks for the kind words. I need to update it more often. Holidays are a busy time!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #180
Vitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysguitar View Post
Well you get to try the wine you're getting before hand. Once you select the blend you want you spread the yeast over the grape juice and they take care of the rest. It makes about 28-30 bottles of wine. When it is ready for bottling(6-12 weeks) you have a bottling party with your friends and you get to make custom labels. I got this gift for my GF, just wondering is anyone else has ever done this?
Ahh, that sounds much better than a full barrel (25cs) This will be fun bottling with your friends and being involved in the process. A very nice gift from your GF. I go to bottling parties every year and we always have tons of fun .. and wine.

Enjoy

~Vitis