Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
With the Weber, if I'm doing a brisket or something like that, how much "maintenance" would I expect to be doing during the process in terms of adding more charcoal? My frustration will be in getting a constant temp without continuously adding more charcoal and that type of thing.
Probably none. 8-12 hour runs on one load of fuel are no problem with the Minion Method:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

You can go even longer with a draft controller and silver bullet jacket, like 16-18 hours.

Once webers settle in to a temperature, vent adjusting will be minimal, running 8 hours without having to touch the vents is common.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #1762
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Probably none. 8-12 hour runs on one load of fuel are no problem with the Minion Method:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

You can go even longer with a draft controller and silver bullet jacket, like 16-18 hours.

Once webers settle in to a temperature, vent adjusting will be minimal, running 8 hours without having to touch the vents is common.
Thanks for the info. That makes it a LOT more appealing.

Now I'm trying to determine whether to go with the 18.5" vs. the 22". Typically, I'd only be cooking for my family of 5, but there may be occasions of cooking for ~ 10-12 people. Obviously, it seems like I'd have no issue doing roasts/briskets with the smaller model, but I'd think doing things like BBR's that take up a lot more surface area, you're much more restricted with the smaller model.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #1763
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That makes it a LOT more appealing.

Now I'm trying to determine whether to go with the 18.5" vs. the 22". Typically, I'd only be cooking for my family of 5, but there may be occasions of cooking for ~ 10-12 people. Obviously, it seems like I'd have no issue doing roasts/briskets with the smaller model, but I'd think doing things like BBR's that take up a lot more surface area, you're much more restricted with the smaller model.
There are two racks in each smoker in an over-under configuration. I don't remember what the vertical spacing is offhand though. You can easily get two 9lb butts into an 18.5". Or a butt on top and a chuck roast under (same thing, ones just from a pig, the other from a cow - cooking is identical) so your chuck has the rendered pork fat dripping on it during the cook.

When you roll the ribs up you can fit quite a few in there, although if you're mopping them, getting to the lower rack will obviously take some time as you have to clear the top rack, remove it, then put it and the food back.

I think this is the 18.5" (if I counted the number of bars in the grate correctly and the note at the top of this page about all the topics being for 18.5" WSMs.) to give you an idea of the size.

Last edited by T.G; 04-04-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #1764
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Just came across this on craigslist, but can't really find anything about it online. Any initial thoughts on this? http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/2303149798.html

I know, it's electric, but a little bit of digging makes pellets seem like a great way to go.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #1765
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Understood about the differences between the Weber and the Bradley...just a matter of trying to figure out what I might be more comfortable doing. Pellet systems are going to be way out of my range. Just trying to figure out what I want to do I guess.

With the Weber, if I'm doing a brisket or something like that, how much "maintenance" would I expect to be doing during the process in terms of adding more charcoal? My frustration will be in getting a constant temp without continuously adding more charcoal and that type of thing.
It seems like you want minimal work with smoking. I would go with the Bradley. Or the WSM and a stoker.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #1766
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
Just came across this on craigslist, but can't really find anything about it online. Any initial thoughts on this? http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/2303149798.html

I know, it's electric, but a little bit of digging makes pellets seem like a great way to go.
I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #1767
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
And twice on Monday?

Sent an email already. Waiting for a response.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #1768
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Looks to be a good buy, but offer 275.00 to 300.00. Also have em turn it on so you can watch it feed pellets and fire up.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #1769
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:

No, pellet grills are not electric. Unlike an electric smoker where you have an electric heating element to provide the heat (like an electric oven) with a smoke generator of some sort to provide the flavor, the burning pellets provide all the heat along with the flavor. Pellet grills do require electricity to kick on the hot surface igniter and run the feed auger, fan and temp control electronics, but all of the work is done by the pellets.

Depending on the condition, $350 sounds like it might be a good deal.

Last edited by T.G; 04-04-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #1770
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
WSM's are very easy to use. If you go to www.virtualweberbullet.com they have recipe sections where they cover stuff all the way down to the vent positions during the cook. Tons of support, both there and on the attached forum for them. Everyone I know who has bought one has been happy with them and has people viewing them as BBQ gods, and most of these guys were gas grillers before they bought WSMs.

If you want automation on the WSM, just add a BBQ Guru DigiQ draft controller:
http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/D...-package).html

Or a Stoker controller.
Ditto completely. The Weber is fantastic and as close to set and forget as I want to be. I do over-night cooks for brisket and have had no problem with a little practice. I love them and have two 18 inch smokers. I would love the newer 22, but just can't justify it now. The virtual weber web site teaches you everything you need to know to produce fantastic food. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #1771
txsmoke

Quote:
Ok, I gotta get in on the action of the smoking. I currently have a nice gas grill, but I know it's not as good as charcoal. One of my musts for this summer is to smoke up a nice brisket.

Anyway, what would you recommend for a noob smoker-in terms of a grill, a rub, and maybe a lesson on maintaining your temps with some degree of accuracy over long cooking periods without constantly going up/down? Thanks!
I love my Traeger and like playing around with the pellets and mixing them for different flavors. I also have a "stick burner" but have not been using it as much.

As far as rubs. I have used Texas BBQ Rub over the past few years and will never use another one. They have actually won the people's choice award at the American Royal numerous times and the Grand Champion of the Texas Rodeo BBQ Cook-off used their rub (I signed up for their free monthly newsletter. This past newsletter announced this). I am not sure if the promo is still going but here is a special they are running because three of the rubs were used by those that placed in the top 8 for brisket at the Rodeo Cook-off in february.

http://www.texasbbqrubspecials.com/?page_id=2
Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #1772
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

If you decide to go with the WSM, use the link on the Virtual Weber Bullet site. Amazon gives the site a piece of the sale to help keep the website running. (that's how I bought mine)

WSM all the way.
I did cut my teeth on a freebie Charbroil, but the WSM is even easier. I do more overnights, than afternoon cooks.

As for the size? Go with the 22 if you can swing it.
You may not need that extra space normally, but the one day that you could use it, you'll never regret it. Had I know they were comiing out with the 22" I would have held out one more year.....
Old 04-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #1773
cigarusmaximus
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
cigarusmaximus is on a distinguished road
Default Big Steel Keg

Hi guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Big Steel Keg. While talking to the sales person, he led me to believe the BSK "should last about 5-10 years". Really, that's it!?

Don't get me wrong he was gushing about the Keg and didn't once steer me to the Big Green Egg, which he also sells for twice the price. So what gives? Do these things burn out quickly? I was hoping to see at least 15 years out of this. I've had some cheap propane grills that easily lasted 10+ years with a little TLC. I will definitely give the BSK the same care, but I'm concerned if they will inherently burn out from the in-side out. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #1774
forgop
Not a puffer

I'm starting to think that craigslist ad is bogus. Three emails and not a single response yet and then Traeger won't be within 100 miles over the next 3 months.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #1775
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: Big Steel Keg

I'm going to call B.S on his claim. I don't have one but have checked them out in the store and they are built like a tank. If you used it everyday, did not clean it and left it outside with no cover in the winter then yeah maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarusmaximus View Post
Hi guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Big Steel Keg. While talking to the sales person, he led me to believe the BSK "should last about 5-10 years". Really, that's it!?

Don't get me wrong he was gushing about the Keg and didn't once steer me to the Big Green Egg, which he also sells for twice the price. So what gives? Do these things burn out quickly? I was hoping to see at least 15 years out of this. I've had some cheap propane grills that easily lasted 10+ years with a little TLC. I will definitely give the BSK the same care, but I'm concerned if they will inherently burn out from the in-side out. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #1776
forgop
Not a puffer

I pulled the trigger on the 22.5" WSM today and it'll be here tomorrow. We've got 70-80 temps in the forecast for the weekend, so I'll be up for some serious grilling.

I did go through the link for the referral. Now I just need to figure out the seasoning process and get a chimney and put together a rub. I may be off to get a brisket tomorrow to put in Saturday morning.

Anyone have any great rubs they make themselves?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #1777
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #1778
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Okay, maple brown sugar bacon curing, Check.

Garlic/black pepper/juniper/sage bacon curing, Check

now, 7 days with a few overhauls, and then smoker time.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #1779
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
I pulled the trigger on the 22.5" WSM today and it'll be here tomorrow. We've got 70-80 temps in the forecast for the weekend, so I'll be up for some serious grilling.

I did go through the link for the referral. Now I just need to figure out the seasoning process and get a chimney and put together a rub. I may be off to get a brisket tomorrow to put in Saturday morning.

Anyone have any great rubs they make themselves?
There are a ton of great rub recipes on bbqbrethren and the internet in general.

The seasoning process is mainly using it to smoke. I would start with something high in fat and rub down the inside with lard. A couple fatties are perfect for seasoning.

The http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ is a GREAT resource for the WSM. I would go over a few of their mod threads to get a handle on the water pan issues.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #1780
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Okay, maple brown sugar bacon curing, Check.

Garlic/black pepper/juniper/sage bacon curing, Check

now, 7 days with a few overhauls, and then smoker time.
How much garlic do you use in your curing process? I tried some recently, 6 large cloves smashed to a ~3lb piece of belly. Nine days curing and not any flavor of garlic. Thinking I'll have to add a lot more next time.