Old 06-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #2401
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NHL '10 - '11 Thread

And that's exactly it, it was an eye for an eye suspension. It really couldn't be anything else given the injury Horton sustained and the furor over the non-suspension on Burrows. Really anything less could hav resulted in a very ugly remainder of the series.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #2402
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Definitely agree. After doing nothing to Burrows which is still simmering as last nights taunts showed. The league had to come down hard or it would have raised a lot of questions about motive and vigilante justice would have been very likely. I still dont put it past the Bs to smoke a Ginger in retaliation. Rome for Horton tied for second in scoring on the Bs is not a fair trade especially when the Canucks can just plug in another D man of similar ability.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #2403
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Definitely agree. After doing nothing to Burrows which is still simmering as last nights taunts showed. The league had to come down hard or it would have raised a lot of questions about motive and vigilante justice would have been very likely. I still dont put it past the Bs to smoke a Ginger in retaliation. Rome for Horton tied for second in scoring on the Bs is not a fair trade especially when the Canucks can just plug in another D man of similar ability.
Definitely not a fair trade off. I'm doubtful that the Bruin's will try and take out a Sedin though unless we end up in another Cherynobl-esque blowout like last night. Julien showed a lot of judgment by keeping his enforcer on the bench last night, I can't see him letting the team go vigilante on the Canucks and risk putting the Bruins into an elimination game as a result.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #2404
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I still dont put it past the Bs to smoke a Ginger in retaliation.

I chuckled when I read that, it just sounds funny. If the Bruins were to retaliate at all, I would leave the Sisters alone, they have been invisible anyway. Kessler or Burrows would be the targets.

I don't think they will retaliate though, if the coaches and the league can stop the shenanigans with the finger wagging, diving, etc etc, I think if the Bruins take game 4, they will win the series.

A huge bounce back game, followed by another win could put those doubts back into the Canucks. I can totally see Boston taking 4 straight.

Besides, I want Cam Neely to finally get his ring!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #2405
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
That would make me smile as well.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #2406
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Quote:
I chuckled when I read that, it just sounds funny. If the Bruins were to retaliate at all, I would leave the Sisters alone, they have been invisible anyway. Kessler or Burrows would be the targets.
The Sedins were involved in and setup 2 of the 3 goals in Game 2, and were an offense threat pretty much every shift in both the first 2 games. They may not have been a threat last night, but honestly who on Vancouver was?

Quote:
I don't think they will retaliate though, if the coaches and the league can stop the shenanigans with the finger wagging, diving, etc etc, I think if the Bruins take game 4, they will win the series.
I would be pretty surprised at this. I expect the Canucks and Bruins to split in Boston then head back for the decider this Friday in Vancouver. I actually thought that Boston would take game 4 and not game 3, but either
way. If Boston does manage to send the series back to Van tied at 2 it will be Vancouver in 7.

Quote:
A huge bounce back game, followed by another win could put those doubts back into the Canucks. I can totally see Boston taking 4 straight.
Not a chance. If something like that was going to happen it would have been in the Chicago series. The Hawks are the only team that's really gotten into Vancouver's head, everyone else are just teams that you occasionally have bad games against. Vancouver is still the odd-on favourite, but Boston is going to make is a great series

Quote:
He's been a significant figure in the league long enough that he certainly deserves it. Just like I hope that Trevor Linden's involvement with the Canucks this year is enough to entitle him to a ring. Both those guys are well deserving of the championship that was denied them in their long and distinguished playing careers.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #2407
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Luls I guess they should just give the Canucks the Cup now then eh. I mean why play if theres no chance the Bs can win.

I mean the Giants werent predicted to win a single series last post season but they won it all. Dont jump the gun so soon.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #2408
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Always a chance of winning, just not a chance of the Canucks unravelling so badly that Boston wins in 4 straight
Old 06-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #2409
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

If Boston is going to take out a Sedin, let's make sure it is Henrik. Daniel helped my fantasy team to second place this year

Look for the Wings to possibly take a D-man off the Canucks this year as well, unless we go after Shea Weber hard. RFA's aren't what Ken Holland goes after but I guess it also depends what happens. Rumor recently that the Wings are also interested in Brad Richards to a deal similiar to Hossa's a few years back.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #2410
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Aren't the Sedins attached at the labia?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #2411
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Zing!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #2412
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...es-flyerstrade

If the Flyers get a legitamate goalie they could make a serious run at it next year. It was definitely there undoing this year.

Id post the obligatory creepy picture of the sisters, but everyone knows what them Gingers look like.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 AM   #2413
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Old 06-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #2414
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Quote:

I believe goes deeper than the labia Tom...
Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #2415
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

I haven't been on in a few days my internet is broken,and a repair man is supposed to come out today so I'm in the library
All I can say is the Canucks are a bunch of gutless pukes and it starts with their coach, the beatdown is not over yet
Old 06-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #2416
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
All I can say is the Canucks are a bunch of gutless pukes and it starts with their coach, the beatdown is not over yet
This is probably the most objective opinion I have heard in this thread yet!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #2417
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophernut View Post
This is probably the most objective opinion I have heard in this thread yet!
The Bruins are in the East, it took their fans a lot longer to discover this as they only see them in town once a year.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #2418
TheLostGringo
Wish I had a Dr. Pepper

First Name: Roger
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
TheLostGringo will become famous soon enoughTheLostGringo will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Sure hope you right as those 1st two game felt like someone punched me in the Jimmy, game 3 made up for it some.

Lets save the retaliation for game 6 when the B's are up comfortable and were about to clinch.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #2419
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Quote:
That's actually a rather ironic statement given that it was the Canucks not being a bunch of "gutless pukes" and going toe-to-toe that played directly into the Bruins hands last game. The Canucks have the size and strength to grind it out whistle to whistle with any team in the league. Getting dragged down into a nasty, dirty, scrummy kind of game like Game 3 is exactly where the Bruins want the series to go since that plays to their strengths (I don't mean that as a negative towards the Bruins, it's just the kind of game Boston plays and what they've built their team around). The Bruins had also better be careful with all the slashing and dirty crap behind the play tonight. Game 3 was an absolutely disgusting display of classlessness and you can bet that's been brought up with the league and they'll be watching for it (from both teams) tonight.

The Canucks strengths are using their speed and size to exploit slow D cores and using the transition game to set our finesse players on odd man rushes and controlling/cycling the puck through the offensive zone to create holes for the Keslers and Burrows and Sedins to punish them with tic-tac-toe scoring plays. That's what took the Canucks to the Presidents Trophy and it's what brought them to a 2 - 1 lead in the Final... look for a resumption tonight. I'd also expect the Canucks to get just as big a jump, if not more so, than the Bruins off the Rome suspension. In their minds that length of suspension was completely unwarranted and, while I personally feel it was a perfectly acceptable response from the league, I can see where they're coming from too.

Charra breaks a guys neck, literally, on a stanchion and doesn't even get 2 minutes let alone a suspension? Eager intentionally tries to injure the NHL's scoring champion and likely MVP with a late hit from behind, again no suspension? Rome himself is concussed with a brutal elbow to the head forcing him to miss a game in the last round, yet again no repercussions from the league? None of those would ever be legal in any situation, yet Rome taking out Horton with what would have been a completely legal hit except for the offset timing is reason enough to give the harshest suspension in Finals history? That part I have massive issues with too, either you're consistent or you're not... and the league's ridiculously inconsistent application of justice means that far from sending a message, the Rome suspension is just going to be looked as enough another feeble response in a long line of joke "actions" from the NHL resulting in no changes.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #2420
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Geoff, you usually have a pretty objective perspective....I cannot believe you are defending Burrows.
Quote:
. I disagree.
Just figured I would quote this again. It seems relevant after the last post.

Hey homer you won the presidents trophy in part because of all those extra wins against your division teams. You know those other clubs none of which made the playoffs and sucked. Put you in the pacific or central and take away all those gimme games and you dont walk away with the trophy. If you do still get it its much closer. The Hawks and Wings would have won a lot more against you.

Mcginn did not make elbow to head contact it was shoulder to head and head to glass. His elbow never comes up. You cant rewrite an incident when everyone can watch the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKE27l7ZzA. You can jump to 110 and see the elbow stays down.

As to the other stuff I said Charas hit was dirty. Eagers was not a clean hit but sedin say him coming and turned to face the boards. The league has been begging players (euros) to stop doing it.

Last edited by Ahbroody; 06-08-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Closed Thread