Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Modifying a cedar chest to use as a humidor?

OK, someone set me straight here. I've NEVER seen it discussed, which makes me think there's a damned good reason why no one is doing it.

Why can't you take a used Lane cedar chest, add a gasket on the lid to get the seal good and tight, and then use that for a cheap cedar humidor?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Modifying a cedar chest to use as a humidor?

Wrong kind of cedar. It is way too aromatic typically. Humidors are made from Spanish cedar.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
OK, someone set me straight here. I've NEVER seen it discussed, which makes me think there's a damned good reason why no one is doing it.

Why can't you take a used Lane cedar chest, add a gasket on the lid to get the seal good and tight, and then use that for a cheap cedar humidor?
Because it is Red Cedar not Spanish Cedar. Spanish Cedar is a member of the Mahogany Family and Red Cedar is a whole different family and not ideal for cigars.

Spanish cedar does not originate from Spain as one might assume but is generally imported from Brazil and other countries of South and Central America. In some individual cases resin may form on the surface of the wood (See also humidor is secreting/resin). The risk of resin formation can be substantially reduced by previously drying the wood carefully.

American red cedar is inferior to Spanish cedar in humidity absorption and it exudes a more intense aroma. Some humidor manufacturers use American cedar because it is less expensive and with this wood there is no danger of resin formation. Particularly when storing cigars for longer periods the cigars will adopt a strong woody flavor that is generally not desired.

http://www.cigaradvisor.com/general/...-cigar-humidor
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Where is a good place to get Spanish Cedar??? I was thinking about playing around with some wood work.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
Where is a good place to get Spanish Cedar??? I was thinking about playing around with some wood work.
Woodcraft.com, I think is the site.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Woodcraft.com, I think is the site.
Woodcraft is very expensive for spanish cedar, bound to be some better sources but I don't know who they may be. Bet somebody on here does know some though!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
I would befriend a local craftsman or furniture maker, they often know GREAT sources.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Because it is Red Cedar not Spanish Cedar. Spanish Cedar is a member of the Mahogany Family and Red Cedar is a whole different family and not ideal for cigars.

Spanish cedar does not originate from Spain as one might assume but is generally imported from Brazil and other countries of South and Central America. In some individual cases resin may form on the surface of the wood (See also humidor is secreting/resin). The risk of resin formation can be substantially reduced by previously drying the wood carefully.

American red cedar is inferior to Spanish cedar in humidity absorption and it exudes a more intense aroma. Some humidor manufacturers use American cedar because it is less expensive and with this wood there is no danger of resin formation. Particularly when storing cigars for longer periods the cigars will adopt a strong woody flavor that is generally not desired.

http://www.cigaradvisor.com/general/...-cigar-humidor
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

makes perfect sense.

But technically you could sorta do it if you happened upon a chest that has already lost most of its aroma.... interesting.... probably too risky though!
Old 05-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
jaydub13
aka Little Pickle

First Name: Jason
Trading: (5)
Partagas
jaydub13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But technically you could sorta do it if you happened upon a chest that has already lost most of its aroma.... interesting.... probably too risky though!
Except for the fact that in a humidor, the cedar is doing the bulk of the work on keeping your sticks at a moderate RH. American Red Cedar isn't so great at that, and I'm fairly certain that whatever wood is in a chest isn't kiln dried.... So it wouldnt do all that great of a job keeping your sticks humidified. The cedar is what helps keep your RH from dropping and spiking everytime you open the lid.

I say sell the chest, and use the proceeds to pick up a Vinotemp or Cooler, and go from there.
jaydub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Maybe drop Chasden a pm....I would be willing to bet that he could point you in the right direction.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub13 View Post
Except for the fact that in a humidor, the cedar is doing the bulk of the work on keeping your sticks at a moderate RH. American Red Cedar isn't so great at that, and I'm fairly certain that whatever wood is in a chest isn't kiln dried.... So it wouldnt do all that great of a job keeping your sticks humidified. The cedar is what helps keep your RH from dropping and spiking everytime you open the lid.

I say sell the chest, and use the proceeds to pick up a Vinotemp or Cooler, and go from there.
Don't have the chest, but was shopping for one for a different purpose and though "hmmmmm, what if I......?"

Sticks are in coolers right now.... works well enough I guess, just thought a cheap chest would be even cooler
Old 05-06-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
dentonparrots

If you're not too bothered about appreance would you not be better making a cheap plastic tupperdor and adding some thin slices of spanish cedar from old cigar boxes or tubo's to absorb/ balance the moisture?
I made one once using an old plastic tub and a calibratred reptile hygrometer. It may not have looked great (in my sock drawer!) but it held the humidity level perfect, it never drifted more than a few percent after being opened.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:32 AM   #13
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Sticks are in coolers right now.... works well enough I guess, just thought a cheap chest would be even cooler
why not buy a wooden chest big enough to fit a cooler in? That way you know your cigars are safe but yet you have a nice wooden chest in your livingroom instead of an ugly plastic cooler.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:10 AM   #14
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Don't have the chest, but was shopping for one for a different purpose and though "hmmmmm, what if I......?"

If you really like the cedar chest idea you could coat the interior of the chest in several coats of thick poly. Give the poly plenty of time to air out and then add your own spanish cedar to the interior. Probably would be a hassle sealing the thing up but it should lock out the unwanted smell of the red cedar.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #15
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
why not buy a wooden chest big enough to fit a cooler in? That way you know your cigars are safe but yet you have a nice wooden chest in your livingroom instead of an ugly plastic cooler.
+1 My wife has suggested that to me on a number of occasions. Her father is a great carpenter, I'm trying to get him to put something like that together for me, too.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #16
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Interesting idea Don...... We'll see if the chest I end up with is big enough