Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation
Default BBQ dry rub and Coffee/Bourbon sauce

I thought I would pass on a BBQ dry rub recipie that I use. I get pretty good remarks from my friends (in fact I can no longer do any thing but this, getting boring). I've lived all over the US and love most BBQ's in general.

3lb London Broil (feeds ~9 biker types, more if not)

This is done in parts which makes it easy for increasing as needed.

8 pts dark brown sugar
1 pt coarse salt
1 pt fresh ground black pepper
1 pt onion powder
1 pt garlic powder
1 pt thyme
1 pt Old Bay seasoning (dry)

the heavy spices (add to taste)
Cayanne pepper (I actually do a 1/2 here to accomadate the weak)
Chili seasoning powder (again a 1/2 part, ensure fresh and not sitting in the big plastic jug for months).

Mix, rub the meat, wrap in Saran wrap at least 4 hours (I go over night).

Heat the BBQ to 225* to 235* !!!! We are BBQing here not grilling. Turn/flip once an hour. NO peeking. If your looking it aint cooking, it will do fine with out you opening the BBQ up. I prefer and use mesquite wood. Any of the softer flavors (apple, peach, hickory) seem to get lost with this seasoning mix. Cook with indirect heat, no flames under the meat (in fact as far from the flame as possible). Cook time is 2:00 to 2.5 hours depending on how you like your meat or use a meat thermometer. Pull the meat off 10 - 15 min prior ro how you want it cooked. As teh meat rests for 10 - 15 minutes, it will still be cooking. Outstanding with some roasted corn from the top grill and tater salad.

Wet....

This rub really doesn't need a sauce, but.... I guess you can put the commercial cheap BBQ sauce on the table if you have to have it wet. On the other hand this sauce is outstanding with this dry rub as a dipping sauce.

1 cup Bourbon whiskey (no cheap stuff here)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup ketchup
3/4 cup brewed strong black coffee
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cane syrup or dark molasses
1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Place the bourbon in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove from the heat and let cool.

In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, Essence, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, pepper, and lemon and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add the ketchup, coffee, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire, cane syrup, and hot sauce, and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the bourbon and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.

Remove from the heat. With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree on high speed until smooth. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. As a curtesy, inform your guests that might have a issue with drinking that bourbon was used. The oak, charred flavors the bourbon add are excellant and the alchocol burns off, but letting them know is the right thing to do.

When your done with all this you'll never do the dishes, usually I get told to have a bourbon and a smoke. Easy stuff that will make you look like a Chef.
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote