Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #2841
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

I think I am going to go with the Ruger SP101 or the Taurus 605 in 357mag. Easy to conceal and enough stopping power. Can practice with cheaper 38 ammo and carry mag rounds for defense.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #2842
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
Here's a link that has the article: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general...o-explode.html

That was more then likely a bullet set back issue (ammo) This is from officers continually chambering a round at the start of the shift and the clearing at the end of shift. When this happens it doubles chamber pressures and Kaboom - just last month a I saw Beretta 92 brake a slide and even blow the mag out!!! Also take notice that was a G37 which is the .45 gap round, this round is extremely short and stubby and has little space between the powder and the back of the round. If any caliber is prone to set back which doubles chamber pressures its .45 gap (I hate this rd)

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #2843
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
That was more then likely a bullet set back issue (ammo) This is from officers continually chambering a round at the start of the shift and the clearing at the end of shift. When this happens it doubles chamber pressures and Kaboom - just last month a I saw Beretta 92 brake a slide and even blow the mag out!!! Also take notice that was a G37 which is the .45 gap round, this round is extremely short and stubby and has little space between the powder and the back of the round. If any caliber is prone to set back which doubles chamber pressures its .45 gap (I hate this rd)
Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the education brother.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #2844
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the education brother.
No problem borhter just looking out for my BOTL , here is a good picture of what happens dosent have to be even this severe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesCA395H3W.jpg (4.2 KB, 221 views)

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #2845
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
Bill I will admit Glocks aren't for everyone - right of the shelf I can shoot any of my Browning Hi Powers better. Glocks are just as accurate as any other upper end pistol, what gives the appearance of lack of accuracy is if you aren't familiar with the trigger you will shoot very poor! I fire over a 1000 rounds a month for years and see it all the time at the range (a new guy with Glock) You must practice your trigger pull. (period) Most my family is or was PA State police and can tell you a 100 stories of really bad accuracy when they pull there pistols most of comes from just pulling hard and fast on the trigger, making it shoot low or the ground in front of themselves.(remember most police prolly fire less then 200 rds per year!!) If you master the Glock trigger you will shoot all other pistols better just not Glocks. Also night sights for Glocks can be had for $60-$70. I am not a Glock fan boy I am really a romantic and believe a real gun has a fine blue finish and nice walnut grips .
Yep, I absolutely agree about the Browning Hi-power...In fact...

My Conceal carry test with a 1940's-50's Browning Hi-Power. Second time shooting it at a new range. Kind of dimly lit but I believe the desired effect was achieved. This was ~6 months ago

Not bad for a crusty old gun.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #2846
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

And a crusty old shooter!!!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #2847
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Not to sound mean, or disrespectful, but I would not carry a Glock if you gave it to me. Not a fan at all!!!!!
X3....or 4 or.....

I really don't like them, I have been around them enough to make that decision for myself. There are way to many good gun makers out there to take the chance.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #2848
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Larry, Have you looked at the sig 220 carry? Working at a shooting range that has piss poor maintenance for it's firearms, I will say that when everything, and I mean everything goes down (Sigs, HK's, Smith's, Beretta, Springfield's) Glocks are the only thing left running on the shelves. I am not a fanboy of Glock by any means, in fact I hate them, the look and feel aren't just for me. But After more practice with them I've become more fond of them and actually shoot them almost as well as my Sigs.

The one major problem I have is that I have sweaty hands and the gun tends to slip around in my hand during long shooting sessions, so I have to use a little grip tape.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #2849
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Poronico will become famous soon enoughPoronico will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Larry, Have you looked at the sig 220 carry? Working at a shooting range that has piss poor maintenance for it's firearms, I will say that when everything, and I mean everything goes down (Sigs, HK's, Smith's, Beretta, Springfield's) Glocks are the only thing left running on the shelves. I am not a fanboy of Glock by any means, in fact I hate them, the look and feel aren't just for me. But After more practice with them I've become more fond of them and actually shoot them almost as well as my Sigs.

The one major problem I have is that I have sweaty hands and the gun tends to slip around in my hand during long shooting sessions, so I have to use a little grip tape.
Glocks truly are the AK of the pistol world, but a moderately cared for Sig will go just as far. I own a number of sigs, a G17, and 3 Berettas. The least favorite of my pistols is my glock due to the grip angle being entirely uncomfortable and not within my muscle memory to compensate without throwing off my other pistol training. My all time favorite carry weapon is my Sig Tac Ops 226 in 9mm, if I need something a little more on the compact size I go to my Beretta PX4 Storm in .45 both of which I can drive tacks with at 50 feet.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #2850
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post

I have, but right now it comes down to cost. With Leigh and I getting married in October, funds have been a little tight. I picked this up for Leigh today and she loves it. Already been to the range and put 100 rounds through it.

Its a Taurus 85 Ultra Light. Have it loaded with Remington Golden Sabers, 125g +P JHP for defensive rounds.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #2851
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

My latest addition a couple of months ago.
Just got the Crimson Trace a week or so ago.

Now begging wife for a Remington 870 12 g 18" for Father's Day.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #2852
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Also got the Crimson Trace for my Ruger LCP.
Cigar budget long gone.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #2853
ChicagoWhiteSox

Nice additions Carlos. You getting the 870 for home defense?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #2854
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Nice additions Carlos. You getting the 870 for home defense?
Yup.
Looking at the synthetic Express 6+1.
Bass Pro Shops has best price I have found at $389.
Bud's does not have the one I want.

Just ordered Crimson for my Sigma.
Wife is going to kill me.
My thought is she will get over it.
I have had to do the same with many of her charging sprees.
Three letters for cigars scared me from buying for a while and then I found this yet equally addictive hobby.
Off to range shortly.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #2855
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Yup.
Looking at the synthetic Express 6+1.
Bass Pro Shops has best price I have found at $389.
Bud's does not have the one I want.

Just ordered Crimson for my Sigma.
Wife is going to kill me.
My thought is she will get over it.
I have had to do the same with many of her charging sprees.
Three letters for cigars scared me from buying for a while and then I found this yet equally addictive hobby.
Off to range shortly.
I'm on the edge of getting a Glock 29. I don't need another slope to fall down, so I'm holding out for now

Old 06-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #2856
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
I'm on the edge of getting a Glock 29. I don't need another slope to fall down, so I'm holding out for now

I want the Remington.
After that, an AR15 is in my plans.
Somewhere along the way, I really feel I need a .40 caliber as don't have one and thinking I will really, really need a Glock 27.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #2857
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:

I want the Remington.
After that, an AR15 is in my plans.
Somewhere along the way, I really feel I need a .40 caliber as don't have one and thinking I will really, really need a Glock 27.
I've been looking at ARs recently too I just got a 2012 Rock River Arms catalog in the mail a week or so ago, not good because I see some stuff I like in there. Pistol will come first though. G29 or something similar in 10mm auto.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #2858
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
I've been looking at ARs recently too I just got a 2012 Rock River Arms catalog in the mail a week or so ago, not good because I see some stuff I like in there. Pistol will come first though. G29 or something similar in 10mm auto.
Gotta tell you, never fired the 10mm Glock as have read 10mm packs one heck of a wallop, and also the added cost of ammo.
But man do I love my Glock 21. Like I tell folks, if a Golden Saber bullet doesn't put them down, throw the gun at them and you may kill them that way as that gun is so heavy, but in a very good way.
That gun feels so solid when fully loaded. The recoil is quite interesting as I would describe it rather than a muzzle flip of a typical gun, more like a rifle. I guess that is attributed to the weight of slide and barrel and new double spring on Gen4 models.
Son and I were both able to shoot numerous rounds (7-8 in a row), where placement was unbelievable almost on top of one another.
I have not been able to do that with any other gun.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #2859
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Gotta tell you, never fired the 10mm Glock as have read 10mm packs one heck of a wallop, and also the added cost of ammo.
But man do I love my Glock 21. Like I tell folks, if a Golden Saber bullet doesn't put them down, throw the gun at them and you may kill them that way as that gun is so heavy, but in a very good way.
That gun feels so solid when fully loaded. The recoil is quite interesting as I would describe it rather than a muzzle flip of a typical gun, more like a rifle. I guess that is attributed to the weight of slide and barrel and new double spring on Gen4 models.
Son and I were both able to shoot numerous rounds (7-8 in a row), where placement was unbelievable almost on top of one another.
I have not been able to do that with any other gun.
The recoil isn't what I expected after shooting one. Not bad at all. The cost of ammo is what I'm not so excited about. The G21 is a big gun for sure. Do you have a G30 as well?

Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #2860
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
The recoil isn't what I expected after shooting one. Not bad at all. The cost of ammo is what I'm not so excited about. The G21 is a big gun for sure. Do you have a G30 as well?
I have three guns so far.
Glock 21, S&W Sigma 9mm and Ruger LCP.
I have a feeling my list will be a bit longer this time next year.