Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
fsjonsey
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
fsjonsey is on a distinguished road
Default JR "Cuban" Alternative Cohiba Robusto

Size:4.5x50 Robusto
Origin:Nicaragua
Presentation: Cellophane wrapped bundle of 20.
Price: $22.95 per bundle of 20.
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun Grown
Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero blend.
Beverage: Diet Pepsi

I picked up two bundles of these little robustos last June or July, in my quest for a cheap everyday smoke. I smoked a few right off the truck, and they weren't bad, but still rather green and somewhat harsh. I threw them in the bottom of my humidor and forgot about them almost entirely. Boy, what a difference a seven month rest at 65% RH can make. These cheap little sticks have been transformed into smooth little Nicaraguan powerhouses. At first light, I was met with lots of spice and strong Nicaraguan tobacco flavor. About 1/2 of an inch in, the spice mellowed out considerably, leaving, smooth, but powerful tobacco flavor, and ample amounts of smoke. Construction was excellent for a cigar in this price range. The draw was effortless, without being overly loose. Burn stayed straight and true throughout, without any touchups. The ash held tight for almost three and a half inches, and only dropped when I placed the cigar in my ashtray to take a sip of my Pepsi. The rest of the ash held all the way to the nub. I continued to smoke it until my fingers and lips were singed. It sure as hell doesn't taste like a Cuban, but was an excellent little smoke nonetheless. In fact, I rate this one up there with my other favorite cheap smoke, the Famous Nic 3000. If you like Nicaraguan tobacco, I highly recommend it.
fsjonsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: JR "Cuban" Alternative Cohiba Robusto

I'm always curious when I see these "alternative" cigars. I always wonder if they even remotely approximate the original.

Thanks for the review!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
I threw them in the bottom of my humidor and forgot about them almost entirely. Boy, what a difference a seven month rest at 65% RH can make. These cheap little sticks have been transformed into smooth little Nicaraguan powerhouses.
Thank you for stepping up to the plate with a great review. Its amazing what a little rest can do for certain blends of cigars isn't it? And it looks like you've found a nice everyday smoke once they have bedded down for awhile too. Probably time to secure some extra bundles huh?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I have been wondering about these!!!

Thanks for doing a review!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I love these sticks. Probably the same blend as the Alt Cohiba Sig IV, which I buy from time to time. And you can't beat them for the price.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote