Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 03-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #201
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: P90X Workout

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Did you hurt your back doing P90X or was it unrelated?
These two disks have given me trouble for the last 7 years or so, they would bulge out and be sore for a month, then the swelling would go down and I'd feel fine again, and then something else would happen and they'd bulge out again. This particular time it was the Plyo that did it. Actually it was a combination of incorrect technique plus going balls out on all the high impact jumps, and being too stupid to stop when I felt like something was wrong. This happened in September of '09. February of 2010 I went to a doctor because they hadn't gotten any better, and after a Prednisone pack, therapy, an MRI and thousands of upward dog type back extensions, it's pack to about 95%

I was really nervous about doing Plyo again, but I am overly cautious about my back this time, and modify some of the moves, and make 100% sure I keep my head and chest up instead of bending over on all those squat jumps.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #202
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Thought I'd rejuvenate this thread to start chronicling progress in my latest "X- Journey!"

A Christmas present to myself, that I hope I don't regret. From what I've previewed, lots more focus on athleticism, balance, sports training and core/synergistic strength. He adds medicine balls, a stability ball & a foam roller to many of the routines, but it looks like you can still get by with the stuff from the original. Still a heavy concentration on pull-ups, and some of the moves look like they'd be tough to do with bands, so I'm not sure how that works. Workouts are only 5d/wk, and they are all under an hour (including yoga!) Plyometrics is now called Plyocide. Lovely The nutrition guide adds vegan & gluten-free plans, but generally still follows the same basic structure as P90x.

Here's a trailer compilation of the routines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTOu7AwlNC8

I'll start in about 5 days!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #203
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Awesome Gerard! I toyed with the idea of buying P90X2 but didn't want the expense of the additional equipment. But it might be worth buying for the <60 min yoga alone!

I too plan on doing another round of the original P90X at the start of the New Year.

Best of luck, brother!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #204
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I'll be following this thread to see what your thoughts are on the X2. I"m finishing up Power90, then on to P90x. If X2 looks like it's worth it (which I'm sure it is), i'll look to add that also.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #205
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

mmm, good timing. I've been debating adding P90X to help get ready for tough mudder...
Old 01-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #206
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

I got X2 for Christmas also and I love it so far I have just tried a few of the workouts and they are tough but fun!!! I am not going to officialy start this round until 1/16 with the X2CREW
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #207
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Awesome Gerard! I toyed with the idea of buying P90X2 but didn't want the expense of the additional equipment. But it might be worth buying for the <60 min yoga alone!

I too plan on doing another round of the original P90X at the start of the New Year.

Best of luck, brother!
For the workouts I've completed so far, I'm finding that he includes a number of modifications with each exercise so that you don't have to spring for extra equipment. It's kind of ironic that in the original, Tony poo-poos the whole "gidgets & gadgets and things that don't work!" But in X2, he's using balance balls, weighted bars, medicine balls, a foam roller, and his own custom-designed pull-up bar. talks, I guess If you have weights & bands from the original, they'll still get a lot of use.

We fortunately already had a balance ball, and an 8# medicine ball. I picked up 2 6# balls, mostly because there are a lot of balance exercises that use them (pushups, etc.) My wife gave me a foamroller for Christmas, and it's surprising how well that thing works for warm-up, stretching & deep tissue massage. I would definitely recommend one now, mine's the Gaia brand, they sell a lot of yoga equipment. Pretty inexpensive but definitely worth it.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #208
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I just started P90X lean today. I also picked up a set of Weider SpeedWeight dumbbells at Sams Club that go from 10-45# each.

That core synergistics DVD pretty much sucks too.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #209
sofaman
Feeling at Home

That core synergistics DVD pretty much sucks too.

Core,Core ,Core till my daddy takes the t-bird away

Just got a call today from my BB Coach telling me that he saw me in the new P90X Informercial I cant wait to see it
Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #210
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Just finished my first week of X2 and I am loving it so far, these 1st phase workouts realy focus on your core and balance but I cant wait to get to the strength phase so I can get back to lifting!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #211
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaman View Post
Just finished my first week of X2 and I am loving it so far, these 1st phase workouts realy focus on your core and balance but I cant wait to get to the strength phase so I can get back to lifting!!!
Heading to the doctor today After 3 weeks on Phase 1, I think I pulled something in my chest wall. I had been progressively moving up in the difficulty level of those workouts, and making some nice progress--couldn't do some of the stability ball moves in the first week, but now I can, etc. Last Tuesday I was going all out on the Total Body routine with medicine ball pushups, burpees, you name it, and I think I over-exerted. Right chest muscle & sternum are kind of painful now, wake me up at night, so there may be some ligament or cartilage involvement. That, or angina. Either way, it pisses me off. I was going with one more week of Phase 1 before switching up the program. We'll see.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #212
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Heading to the doctor today After 3 weeks on Phase 1, I think I pulled something in my chest wall. I had been progressively moving up in the difficulty level of those workouts, and making some nice progress--couldn't do some of the stability ball moves in the first week, but now I can, etc. Last Tuesday I was going all out on the Total Body routine with medicine ball pushups, burpees, you name it, and I think I over-exerted. Right chest muscle & sternum are kind of painful now, wake me up at night, so there may be some ligament or cartilage involvement. That, or angina. Either way, it pisses me off. I was going with one more week of Phase 1 before switching up the program. We'll see.
That sucks, Gerard. I feel your pain, bro.

I had intended to start right after the new year with another round of P90X but have been having some lower back pain that I want to clear up before starting. Of course, having not worked out much lately may be contributing to the back pain, so it's a bit of a catch 22. I think I may suck it up and do some yoga, stretching and lower intensity workouts (CardioX) for a week or so and see if it feels any better.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #213
celtic250
Smoke em if ya got em

First Name: Greg
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
celtic250 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I'll be following this thread to see what your thoughts are on the X2. I"m finishing up Power90, then on to P90x. If X2 looks like it's worth it (which I'm sure it is), i'll look to add that also.
How is Power 90? I am starting that today because I had knee surgery a year ago and didn't want to jump straight into P90x.
celtic250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #214
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic250 View Post
How is Power 90? I am starting that today because I had knee surgery a year ago and didn't want to jump straight into P90x.
It's a pretty good workout. Even in my better shape than a year ago, the workouts get my heart rate pumping and I'm drenched in sweat. From what I can gather, not as hard as P90X, but a lot of the moves from P90 are repeated in P90x.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #215
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Gerard I hope you are doing better now! This program is giving me all kinds of new pains especially in my legs, hips and lower back so I have been doing alot of foam rolling but I am realy not sure if its working or not yet time will tell.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #216
celtic250
Smoke em if ya got em

First Name: Greg
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
celtic250 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
It's a pretty good workout. Even in my better shape than a year ago, the workouts get my heart rate pumping and I'm drenched in sweat. From what I can gather, not as hard as P90X, but a lot of the moves from P90 are repeated in P90x.
Did my first workout today in conjunction with my diet. This first week is going to be tough to get through!
celtic250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #217
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I am loading up on the supplements as I get back into the thick of things when I restart this week:

BSN N.O. EXPLODE 2.0
BSN CellMass
Muscle Pharm Assault
Modern BCAA
Universal Nutrition Animal Packs

Protein:
Optimum: Cookies n Cream, Rocky Road, Caramel Toffee Fudge, Coffee, Cake Batter
BSN: Cookies n Cream, Mocha Cappucino

2 of the proteins are 5 # bags, so I figure 20# of protein should keep me going for awhile.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #218
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I am loading up on the supplements as I get back into the thick of things when I restart this week:

BSN N.O. EXPLODE 2.0
BSN CellMass
Muscle Pharm Assault
Modern BCAA
Universal Nutrition Animal Packs

Protein:
Optimum: Cookies n Cream, Rocky Road, Caramel Toffee Fudge, Coffee, Cake Batter
BSN: Cookies n Cream, Mocha Cappucino

2 of the proteins are 5 # bags, so I figure 20# of protein should keep me going for awhile.

Nice haul--although, don't NO Explode & MP Assault serve basically the same purpose as a pre-workout supplement? I used NO Explode for about 2 years, but currently use Body Rush. My stepson uses Assault. I think both are good products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaman View Post
Gerard I hope you are doing better now! This program is giving me all kinds of new pains especially in my legs, hips and lower back so I have been doing alot of foam rolling but I am realy not sure if its working or not yet time will tell.
Thanks, waiting on the results of some xrays. Doc doesn't think it's cardiac, but is concerned about the positional nature of the pain--it's relieved when I move a certain way. In any event, he restricted my workout regimen for a week, so it looks like I'm in recovery mode. Lots of foam rolling, I guess.

Last edited by kaisersozei; 01-24-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: More ramblings
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #219
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Nice haul--although, don't NO Explode & MP Assault serve basically the same purpose as a pre-workout supplement? I used NO Explode for about 2 years, but currently use Body Rush. My stepson uses Assault. I think both are good products.
Yeah, I'm not going to do assault and no xplode at the same time. It'll be the combo of one or the other for pre-workout and then cellmass for post workout. The BCAA I have is highly rated and even the optimum protein has some bcaa's already.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #220
BigBruce
Independent

Trading: (4)
Bolivar Army (Active)
BigBruce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
mmm, good timing. I've been debating adding P90X to help get ready for tough mudder...
I used p90x when I was getting ready for my tough mudder. Besides Tony Horton being annoying it really helped. I also added in weight training and a lot of running. As for the tough mudder it was great. I can't wait to do another one.