Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #41
gray8188

Default Re: building a coolidor

Lol hmm I'm guessing there's a story to these cigar asylum stickers and newsletter? Lol
Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #42
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray8188 View Post
Lol hmm I'm guessing there's a story to these cigar asylum stickers and newsletter? Lol
Yah, there is a CA news letter with tons of good info but you have to request it, just don't "ask" for stickers. You may have to wait a bit until you have access to the newsletter section, unless you ask for it earlier.

You are killing me Wallbright!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #43
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Yah, there is a CA news letter with tons of good info but you have to request it, just don't "ask" for stickers. You may have to wait a bit until you have access to the newsletter section, unless you ask for it earlier.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #44
gray8188

Quote:

That's pretty cool how do you request it? I'm always down for reading and learning stuff.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #45
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
With one arm around my humidor and one eye on my newsletter, that's how!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #46
Tyler

Quote:
That's pretty cool how do you request it? I'm always down for reading and learning stuff.
Don't get too excited. This forum is a mean mean mother. I am going to get smacked around for this but use the search function and search CA newsletter. You shall find the information you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth
With one arm around my humidor and one eye on my newsletter, that's how!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #47
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Alrite I'm looking at a few coolers at my local wallmart. These are the 2 I'm considering.
:http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-M...6437965?pos=30
:http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-I...ooler/16437961
Any thoughts? I like the marine one I think it would be a little easier to kinda hide in my closet and I'm thinking the seal might be better because there meant to not leak or allow odors out.

Do not buy the second one. The Island Breeze coolers leak like sieves. I picked two up last year for like $6 at the end of the year clearance from CVS, neither held humidity for squat. I just use them for food/drinks now since they were worthless for cigar storage.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #48
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Don't get too excited. This forum is a mean mean mother. I am going to get smacked around for this but use the search function and search CA newsletter. You shall find the information you are looking for.
....searching "CA Newsletter" produces 11 pages of threads dating back to 2008. As another new member, I'd appreciate if you could narrow it down, just a bit...I'd like to subscribe, too.....
Old 08-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #49
gray8188

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Do not buy the second one. The Island Breeze coolers leak like sieves. I picked two up last year for like $6 at the end of the year clearance from CVS, neither held humidity for squat. I just use them for food/drinks now since they were worthless for cigar storage.
Alrite thanks I guess that ones out of the question. Is the marine one good you think?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #50
gray8188

Quote:

Alrite thanks ill look that up. And are newbs not supposed to be subscribed to it?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #51
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromHere View Post
....searching "CA Newsletter" produces 11 pages of threads dating back to 2008. As another new member, I'd appreciate if you could narrow it down, just a bit...I'd like to subscribe, too.....
When you ask for stickers or a newsletter or show pictures of your empty humidor you are asking to be bombed. These guys are just yanking your chain...

If you really want a newsletter -- go for it....

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #52
gray8188

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
When you ask for stickers or a newsletter or show pictures of your empty humidor you are asking to be bombed. These guys are just yanking your chain...

If you really want a newsletter -- go for it....
lol alrite I guess ill hold off for a little bit on the newsletter. But hey my humidor is full that gets me some rep right? Lol.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #53
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
lol alrite I guess ill hold off for a little bit on the newsletter. But hey my humidor is full that gets me some rep right? Lol.
Unless it's because you haven't been smoking them

Yes the "newsletter" is kind of a tradition on here, I went through the same confusion you are now going through. Just paying it forward.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #54
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Alrite thanks I guess that ones out of the question. Is the marine one good you think?
I don't have one of the marine ones like you linked to, so I have no personal experience with it to say. I do know that a lot of people use marine coolers successfully, but I don't know if that is the brand that many use or not.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #55
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

As I read through this I was getting really excited about this news letter and then as I read on my hopes were and dreams were shot out of the sky. Now I am just a little less confused than I was 5 minutes ago, but it is cool because I am always confused.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #56
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

OK, I get it....let the hazing commence....

I don't want stickers and my Staebell is wall to wall full....so while bombs are a nice thought, I sure don't need them. In fact, as a Marine dad, I ask folks to send them to the troops instead of me.

Party on, gentlemen.....N.F.H.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #57
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
As I read through this I was getting really excited about this news letter and then as I read on my hopes were and dreams were shot out of the sky. Now I am just a little less confused than I was 5 minutes ago, but it is cool because I am always confused.
It's a rite of passage. Kind of like snipe hunting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt
Old 08-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #58
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It's a rite of passage. Kind of like snipe hunting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt
Oh I am very familiar with the art of snipe hunting. It is a joyous past time of mine, I cannot say my friends feel the same way.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #59
gray8188

Quote:
Unless it's because you haven't been smoking them

Yes the "newsletter" is kind of a tradition on here, I went through the same confusion you are now going through. Just paying it forward.
Lol no I try to smoke one every chance I get. And thanks man, I guess I have to take some for being the newb lol.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #60
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
Coolers are very simple to set up.

1. Buy coole
2. Air out cooler for a couple days
3. Buy beads (or other humidification device)
4. Put beads in cooler
5. Add boxes and a hygro
6. Sit back and relax
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromHere View Post
Most guys tend to overthink this process. I had five coolers up and running before I moved into my cabinet, and this is basically what I did:

A couple of other points;
  • I would rinse the cooler out with very hot water to help it outgas the plastic a bit. I found that if you rinse it out and let it stand open for a couple days (in the sun helps too) they pretty much lose the plastic smell. Not that I think the smell would be that big of a deal, but some guys really worry about it. I am one of the guys that do not believe the plastic smell will "permeate" your smokes. I had tons of cigars in more than one cooler for years and never had a problem.
  • I would NOT use chlorine bleach to clean out the cooler...!! Some guys recommend using a weak bleach solution, but I think the use of ANY chlorine in a cigar container is a very bad idea. Chlorine is an incredibly powerful oxidizer and just doesn't strike me as the right stuff for the job. Very hot water, a couple of days to outgas, and you will be good.
  • I also would NOT line the cooler with any cedar. You'll be occupying valuable humidified space and there is simply no need. Every one of my coolers held humidity flawlessly (and I used Heartfelt beads as well). Use the space for cigars, not linings.
  • If your cooler isn't full when you start it up, I always had good luck filling the unoccupied space with bubble wrap. No need to humidify airspace that isn't being occupied by cigars, I think.
A very famous cigar cabinet maker once posted that "....anything other than a cooler is an extravagance...." and I have to agree. Coolers are the best storage for the money there is....period.

Good luck - don't worry.....

N.F.H.
Personally, I think this would be the best way to execute your ultimate goal. Which would be keeping your cigars FRESH... I have two cabinets that are filled & 5 desk tops. But, now I'm looking toget the BIGGEST bang for my buck so I'm leaning towards Koolers now. It will do the exact same thing for alot LESS. Sure, it may not be as PRETTY but the ultimate goal is FRESH cigars not pretty storage.

Smoke on...